Trump sends Pompeo to Riyadh over Khashoggi; Saudis may blame official

webfact

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Who wants to know the truth? 

It is going to be difficult to hide the truth since the whole thing was recorded by the Turks, who are leaking it slowly...

Here is the latest and it is not pretty...

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/exclusive-khashoggi-829291552

There is a similar article just out in the Wall Street Journal, but you need to be a subscriber to read it in full.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Who wants to know the truth? Who wants to ask a "simple question" if the "wrong" answer to that simple question will destabilize the whole region, possibly bring the oil price higher than it ever was and cost billions in business?

This world is not run by honest and just people who fight the bad guys. And that is nothing new with Trump, it's like that since forever. We can dream about accountability but that is and will be a dream for a long long time.

And, taking this a step further - other than posters ranting along, is everyone on-board for a new ME crisis? I think that bottom line, most people are quite comfortable expressing their displeasure, but aren't halfway as committed (certainly not on a personal level) when it comes to the possibility of the risks involved materializing.

Say Saudi Arabia is bad, MBS is a thug and Wahhabism is a plague. Fine. Is everyone ready for a crusade? Oil prices issues and further economic effect? The expected messy aftermath? The almost certainty of another dodgy regime replacing the current one?

A bit of group righteous indignation does seem to make some feel better, though.

4 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

It is going to be difficult to hide the truth since the whole thing was recorded by the Turks, who are leaking it slowly...

Here is the latest and it is not pretty...

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/exclusive-khashoggi-829291552

There is a similar article just out in the Wall Street Journal, but you need to be a subscriber to read it in full.

I read a couple of articles, including the recent one about the audio.

And I agree with you that it won't be easy to find a half reasonable explanation.

But I still think the price for the truth is higher than most "players" are willing to pay. Maybe there will be a long and detailed investigation, or maybe some expert teams which have to discuss how to best react to this, bla bla bla.

One alternative seem to be massive sanctions against Saudi Arabia and retaliation from them. Which is a horror scenario.

The other alternative is that the Saudi King removes his son as de facto leader of that country. I don't know enough about them but I think it's hard to imagine that will happen.

I don't see any other alternatives.

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I read a couple of articles, including the recent one about the audio.

And I agree with you that it won't be easy to find a half reasonable explanation.

But I still think the price for the truth is higher than most "players" are willing to pay. Maybe there will be a long and detailed investigation, or maybe some expert teams which have to discuss how to best react to this, bla bla bla.

One alternative seem to be massive sanctions against Saudi Arabia and retaliation from them. Which is a horror scenario.

The other alternative is that the Saudi King removes his son as de facto leader of that country. I don't know enough about them but I think it's hard to imagine that will happen.

I don't see any other alternatives.

The latest info is that they may pin the whole thing on the SA consul in Turkey, who has already been sacked from his job.

At some point, SA is going to have to admit that there was a murder, but that it was the work of a "rogue" man, or group of men, exactly the scenario pushed by Trump.

And there will be no follow up since it will be considered as a "regular" murder, and not a state sponsored murder...

5 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

The latest info is that they may pin the whole thing on the SA consul in Turkey, who has already been sacked from his job.

At some point, SA is going to have to admit that there was a murder, but that it was the work of a "rogue" man, or group of men, exactly the scenario pushed by Trump.

And there will be no follow up since it will be considered as a "regular" murder, and not a state sponsored murder...

Given the latest evidence from the NY Times, that contention seems very unlikely to be believed. Anyway, Pompeo has promised that the Saudi Royals will pursue a vigorous investigation of the incident. So no worries.

17 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I am surprised Al Jazeera is so quiet about this. After SA ganged up on Qatar it would be a good chance for Doha to hit back at the SA leadership.

Also not much from any head of state in EU. After all, the murder happened at Europe' doorstep.

Actually, since the Saudi consulate in Istanbul is located west of the Bosporus, it occurred in Europe.

2 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I am surprised Al Jazeera is so quiet about this. After SA ganged up on Qatar it would be a good chance for Doha to hit back at the SA leadership.

Also not much from any head of state in EU. After all, the murder happened at Europe' doorstep.

So quiet!

Seriously?

I watch Aljazeera every evening and it is almost 100% dedicated to the coverage of Khashoggi's murder, with special envoys everywhere!

They even have special shows about it...they couldn't cover it more!

42 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

So quiet!

Seriously?

I watch Aljazeera every evening and it is almost 100% dedicated to the coverage of Khashoggi's murder, with special envoys everywhere!

The propaganda is always different depending on location.

And lately Aljazeera seem to be unavailable in certain places i travel which also make you ask why?

3 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Doha is quite gloating but uses for that its Arabic broadcast.

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

So quiet!

Seriously?

I don't watch it on TV but I did just visit its website and coverage definitely dominates that page.  Maybe expatoilworker's current locale is the reason?

6 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

I don't watch it on TV but I did just visit its website and coverage definitely dominates that page.  Maybe expatoilworker's current locale is the reason?

If he stays in SA or the UAE he won't get access to Aljazeera for sure!

14 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

And quite interesting. In particular:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/10/khashoggi-case-saudi-turkish-investigation-mere-formality-181018053308558.html

I lived  and worked in that part of the world for many years , I always thought it was a  very strange  custom,  to start training young boys as young as eight  or nine  to   '  slaughter  '  an animal , even as part of a religious ritual .

When you throw   the  in-  breeding into it ,  it becomes even more unhealthy .

1 hour ago, Jack100 said:

I lived  and worked in that part of the world for many years , I always thought it was a  very strange  custom,  to start training young boys as young as eight  or nine  to   '  slaughter  '  an animal , even as part of a religious ritual .

When you throw   the  in-  breeding into it ,  it becomes even more unhealthy .

Have you shared your thoughts with the NRA and the hunting lobby?

There appears to be little doubt this is true, little doubt that MBS is a thug, a serial killer and a charlatan and little doubt that Tiny Don wants to cover for him. Many of the worlds nations have been covering for the House of Said for decades. They are up to no good. They fund the extremist madrasas. They support terror. The fact is without oil the Saudis would be one of the most irrelevant nations on earth. Only because of their oil is their nonsense tolerated.

Down with Wahhabism. Down with the House of Saud. 

Trump will cover their butts. Doing the right thing is not in his DNA. 

12 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

There appears to be little doubt this is true, little doubt that MBS is a thug, a serial killer and a charlatan and little doubt that Tiny Don wants to cover for him. Many of the worlds nations have been covering for the House of Said for decades. They are up to no good. They fund the extremist madrasas. They support terror. The fact is without oil the Saudis would be one of the most irrelevant nations on earth. Only because of their oil is their nonsense tolerated.

Down with Wahhabism. Down with the House of Saud. 

Trump will cover their butts. Doing the right thing is not in his DNA. 

"The fact is without oil the Saudis would be one of the most irrelevant nations on earth. Only because of their oil is their nonsense tolerated."

Not expecting much of a coherent, or reasoned response, but pray tell - what makes a nation "relevant", and who gets to judge this? The latter part of your comment seems to exactly point to SA's "relevance".

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I doubt he will be replaced. Seriously doubt that. I am not sure the Saudis care, though they were really caught in their heinous ways, red handed, this time. They have been doing this sort of thing for a century or more. Not much has changed over there. The prince is obviously a charlatan thug, gangster type. Thrilled the world sees that now. His prestige has dropped to rock bottom. Good, good, good. The Saudi House of Saud has been a gangster family, and a major sponsor of terror for a long, long time now.

"They have been doing this sort of thing for a century or more."

Not to question the historical knowledge exemplified by this comment - but could you possibly support it with something resembling fact? 

A post containing link to a foreign language news source has been removed, the replies were removed as well.   English is the only acceptable language anywhere on ThaiVisa including Classifieds, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed. Short Thai translation of technical terms is permitted in specialty forums.

4 hours ago, Morch said:

"The fact is without oil the Saudis would be one of the most irrelevant nations on earth. Only because of their oil is their nonsense tolerated."

Not expecting much of a coherent, or reasoned response, but pray tell - what makes a nation "relevant", and who gets to judge this? The latter part of your comment seems to exactly point to SA's "relevance".

"They have been doing this sort of thing for a century or more."

Not to question the historical knowledge exemplified by this comment - but could you possibly support it with something resembling fact? 

There is alot of evidence pointing toward alot of misbehavior on the part of the Saudis for a long time now. Both internally and externally.

Relevance can mean alot of things. It starts with a culture which has something to contribute to the world, artistically, socially, through drama, the arts, dance, science, medicine and such. What has Saudi contributed lately?

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2015/03/saudi-arabia-in-ten-brutal-facts/

They continue to maintain a zero tolerance policy. The reformer is not any such thing. A gangster is more like it. 

The rights group Prisoners of Conscience, which is an independent non-governmental organization advocating human rights in Saudi Arabia, announced in a post on its official Twitter page last month that Saudi authorities were reportedly keeping more than 2,500 anti-regime activists behind bars as part of a widening crackdown led by bin Salman against Muslim preachers.

https://www.presstv.com/Detail/2018/10/09/576543/Saudi-Arabia--jamal-khashoggi-Recep-TayyipErdogan-Istanbul

Archived