No more one year Non-B, 3 months only?

Hello,

I'm here on a one-year multiple entry Non B visa based on a work permit.  I'm told the company I work for is not big enough / doesn't have enough capital / enough Thais to foreigners ratio to apply for a one-year extension of my visa which is why I have to do border bounces every 90 days.

My visa expires in under a month (my work permit has recently been renewed for another year) so I have to go abroad (I always go to Penang) to receive a new Visa. 

However, the agent who supports my employer with visa services tells us that it's now only possible to get a 3 months visa.  Is that so? Am I supposed to go to Penang every 3 months to get a new visa.....?

Penang will only issue a multiple entry non-b visa if you are a owner, director or significant shareholder of the company you are working for now.

Your only choice may be getting a single entry non-b visa now. But getting them back to back could be a problem.

Have you done your last 90 day entry from your visa yet. You can get one on or before the date your visa expires.

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Penang will only issue a multiple entry non-b visa if you are a owner, director or significant shareholder of the company you are working for now.

I'm not any of those  I'm just a regular employee. Is the problem with Penang only or any other Thai embassy in a neighbouring country? 

Your only choice may be getting a single entry non-b visa now. But getting them back to back could be a problem.

So it's the one for 3 months only? And even getting that might be a problem? So what is the visa solution for a person in my situation - which I would think is a fairly common one - not owning a business but simply working for one. 

Have you done your last 90 day entry from your visa yet. You can get one on or before the date your visa expires.

No, my actual visa expired in September. November 13 is the date of my last entry stamp. 

Confused and worried... 

Edited by manonthemon

20 minutes ago, manonthemon said:

Is the problem with Penang only or any other Thai embassy in a neighbouring country? 

Penang and Kota Bharu were the only nearby locations that were issuing a multiple entry non-b visa before. Both now have the same requirement.

22 minutes ago, manonthemon said:

So it's the one for 3 months only? And even getting that might be a problem? So what is the visa solution for a person in my situation - which I would think is a fairly common one - not owning a business but simply working for one.

A single entry non-b visa that allows one 90 day entry may be your only choice now. I have seen no reports about Penang refusing them for being done back to back. The embassy in Vientiane recently made an announcement that they will only one per calendar year now.

You might be able to find someplace doing them further away from here. Your only choice might be your home country.

If they company wants you to keep working for them the may have to find a solution. Perhaps hire some more people to meet the 4 Thai employee requirement for the one year extension. Does your salary meet the requirement for your nationality? For most western countries it is 50k baht per month.

My salary meets the requirements, but the company has no need or funds to hire more people. 

It feels like having a rug pulled from under me. Seven years in Thailand, always by the book, wife, kids, rented house, rented car, whole life here and suddenly this... 

I have no idea what to do now. Even if they were issuing those single Non-B's back to back, it would be totally unsustainable to do those full-scale visa runs every 3 months. 

☹️

15 minutes ago, manonthemon said:

My salary meets the requirements, but the company has no need or funds to hire more people. 

It feels like having a rug pulled from under me. Seven years in Thailand, always by the book, wife, kids, rented house, rented car, whole life here and suddenly this... 

I have no idea what to do now. Even if they were issuing those single Non-B's back to back, it would be totally unsustainable to do those full-scale visa runs every 3 months. 

☹️

The system is set up for people to get a non-immigrant visa (B or O), workpermit and after that get an extension of stay. The issue seems to be you or your company does not meet the extension of stay requirements regarding number of Thai people employed.

So far you have been lucky, but the loophole in the system has now been closed. So either your company has to meet the requirements, or you'll have to find another employer.

Edited by stevenl

1 minute ago, manonthemon said:

Any chance I could be her dependant, on what conditions? 

You can get an extension based upon here for being her husband. There are no condition other than that that.

You marriage certificate would have to be legalized by your embassy or a authority where you were married.

You might have to go out for a single entry non-o visa if your local immigration office refuses to do it with your non-b visa entry.

In theory you could continue working with that type of extension since there are no written rules that I am aware of that state you cannot do it. But you might have a problem when it comes time to renew your work permit.

4 minutes ago, manonthemon said:

Aren't there any financial conditions to be met? 

We were married here, in Thailand, our marriage certificate has been legalised by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs but not yet by my embassy.

There are no financial requirements to apply for the extension. General requirements are here. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_20

Since you got married here there would be no need for your embassy to legalize your marriage certificate.

• Like 2