Koh Tao rape claim dismissed by Thai police, citing lack of evidence and no DNA

webfact

“However, she could not identify the site of the attack nor the identity of the attacker. She could not even provide details on how the attack happened,” Piyapong said“.

Reason, because no rape happened, that`s why.

She was partying on the evening in question, this somehow got back to the boyfriend, probably by friends or those that were with her at the time, she decides to claim rape to protect her own reputation. I`ve said this all along and also predicted that no convincing statement will come forward from this girl.

I have no doubts there are witnesses that are reluctant to come forward not wanting to have to go to court to give evidence and in-fact neither would I want to be involved. The girl should be prosecuted for making false claims and for wasting police time and resources.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Crash999 said:

Read what I wrote again. I said we can't conclude who tested the shirt, but that hasn't stopped people in this thread from assuming it was the Thai police and therefore in their minds the test has no validity. 

And I said the police just came back to Thailand. It could have been an express test done here, sure. But it seems logical that the UK police actually went through with the testing that the family themselves said they would do.

Let's see what the UK police announce, if anything. Clearly the mother isn't happy with the UK police from what was said yesterday. 

Yes, you're assuming. I'm asking for facts. 

Yes, let's wait 'til we hear from the UK authorities so they can confirm they tested the t-shirt. Until then, this is an RTP investigation and they need to tell us who exactly tested the t-shirt. 

2 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

She was partying on the evening in question, this somehow got back to the boyfriend, probably by friends or those that were with her at the time, she decides to claim rape to protect her own reputation

Yeap, if you ever wanna protect your reputation, claim you were raped. Works every time.

9 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Yes, you're assuming. I'm asking for facts. 

Yes, let's wait 'til we hear from the UK authorities so they can confirm they tested the t-shirt. Until then, we can this is RTP investigation and they need to tell us who exactly tested the t-shirt. 

And what exactly does the tee-shirt prove? Nothing. If there is semen samples on the shirt it only establishes she had sex, probably with one of party she was with on the night. And of course the girl will be reluctant to give any names because it would mean accusing that person of rape when it was probably consensual sex.

She`s caught up in a dilemma, stuck behind a rock and a hard place.

5 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

And what exactly does the tee-shirt prove? Nothing. If there is semen samples on the shirt it only establishes she had sex, probably with one of party she was with on the night. And of course the girl will be reluctant to give any names because it would mean accusing that person of rape when it was probably consensual sex.

The semen proves that somebody ejaculated on her shirt. This is what police typically call a lead. You get a lead and you follow it. It's what police usually call an investigation.......

Can you see where I'm going with this?

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

Oh wait.....the location couldn't be described, the perpetrator couldn't be described, there was no DNA, no witnesses, only hearsay....if you were the RTP what would you do with all that, start a manhunt for somebody or arrest a Burmese!

That's very true, though one thing the RTP shouldn't have done is loudly proclaim that the rape didn't happen. No matter how far-fetched the story may seem all they can possibly conclude is there is no evidence to substantiate her claim that a rape took place, and that's it.

16 hours ago, ukrules said:

I wonder if there was any investigation back in the UK by the British police

How did the Thais get the T-shirt, has it already been tested by UK authorities?

She said there was evidence there, was this just a guess or has it been confirmed with a laboratory?

Yes. Would be interested to hear from the old plod or have they been instructed to not comment to maintain the relationship for the sake of diplomacy.

17 hours ago, webfact said:

she was unable to tell them important details such as the location of where the rape was meant to have taken place and a description of the suspect

That does seem suspicious.  However, it's easy to get confused on an island, and all Thai people look the same.  

I'm not a fan of blaming the victim and I've defended her elsewhere here, but this does make it harder to substantiate her claim, unfortunately. 

Unfortunately with no hard evidence no police in the world could bring about a conviction. I assume that if the British police had examined the T-shirt, that they would have passed this DNA evidence to the RTP. I cannot believe that they would declare no DNA if some were available. In no reports has any DNA been confirmed. Only alleged. Perhaps it was not possible to test after transporting back to the UK.

I feel for the girl as I believe that something untoward did happen to her. I hope that she can find a way to move on with her life and put the past behind her.

Hopefully now that the rules are changing for jurisdiction reporting this should improve the situation. 

Next time reporting a crime better to make a video / audio recording of your meeting with the RTP.

16 minutes ago, jgarbo said:

From what news I've seen, the girl returned quickly to UK before making her allegations, so presumably the UK police did the DNA & semen tests.

Presumably so, though I haven't seen any result from the UK police. Only that the family handed the t-shirt to the UK police and yesterday the Thai police said they received the t-shirt from the UK police. 

In the previous murder trial the results of the UK police investigation were given only to the families, so that might happen here too. 

19 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Reason, because no rape happened, that`s why.

She was partying on the evening in question, this somehow got back to the boyfriend, probably by friends or those that were with her at the time, she decides to claim rape to protect her own reputation. I`ve said this all along and also predicted that no convincing statement will come forward from this girl.

That's one possibility but we can't know that for sure. 

Another possibility could be that she was raped, by the male roommate she was seen with, but in her state she didn't remember who the attacker was. That might explain why the roommate seemed so concerned about her and followed her to KP to the police station there. The roommate supposedly came back to KT alone to supposedly file a report there, though there wasn't any record of him trying.

The police at one point said they wanted to interview the roommates but her allegation was weeks later and by that time they had all left the country. 

17 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

Nicely swept under the carpet. No semen so no case. I guess that running a DNA test would have been a step too far and might have prompted further investigation.

dont forget she could not identify where on the island it happened after viewing 3 places in photos.. 

must have been panoramic photos to capture the whole islands geography. 

3 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

That does seem suspicious.  However, it's easy to get confused on an island, and all Thai people look the same.  

I'm not a fan of blaming the victim and I've defended her elsewhere here, but this does make it harder to substantiate her claim, unfortunately. 

Why do you assume it was a Thai? More likely she was with other foreigners, maybe other Brits. The British authorities have no jurisdiction in this case and perhaps have been told by the family not to divulge the semen results from the tee-shirt as this would mean naming someone as a rape suspect getting the girl deeper in the doo dars.

Love to know what the girl`s boyfriend thinks of all this, considering no one has come forward except dear mother to support the girl`s accusations. Whatever, I guess the girl`s alleged rape claim has lost all credibility with her boyfriend and friends, including the public opinion.

12 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

You must also have the DNA logical reasoning of one of the many, many indigenous folk. 

If you were drugged / spiked are you really sure you would be fully coherant of the exact location, not forgetting darkness of the night mixed in also. 

17 hours ago, Darcula said:

Confidence must be at an all time high. This time they're not even bothering themselves with a couple of burmese scapegoats and a roti-selling translator.

Hmmmm Confidence or just plain stupid denial, from six monkeys sitting on a bench  

21 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Yeap, if you ever wanna protect your reputation, claim you were raped. Works every time.

Happened recently with the French policeman.

A woman had a serious case of regret and decided that accusing him of rape was better than explaining why she slept with a *gasp* black man. People immediately assumed he was guilty. If it wasn't for the witnesses and other evidence he would still be in jail today. 

4 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Love to know what the girl`s boyfriend thinks of all this, considering no one has come forward except dear mother to support the girl`s accusations. Whatever, I guess the girl`s alleged rape claim has lost all credibility with her boyfriend and friends, including the public opinion.

The boyfriend was interviewed early on. He didn't say too much, only that he believed her and the reason they broke up wasn't to do with the rape. 

16 hours ago, sweatalot said:

gaiving them the shirt without examining it  before in the UK was an incredible mistake.

At least they stopped claiming she wasn't raped. Just t hey found no evidence. ( How? months after the event because they refused to accept her record)

So now it should be legal to say the woman was probably raped in Koh Tao. Thai Police started investigation months later  and then found no evidence

16 hours ago, sweatalot said:

gaiving them the shirt without examining it  before in the UK was an incredible mistake.

At least they stopped claiming she wasn't raped. Just t hey found no evidence. ( How? months after the event because they refused to accept her record)

So now it should be legal to say the woman was probably raped in Koh Tao. Thai Police started investigation months later  and then found no evidence

they are saying  "it has been concluded there was no rape"

12 minutes ago, Crash999 said:

Happened recently with the French policeman.

A woman had a serious case of regret and decided that accusing him of rape was better than explaining why she slept with a *gasp* black man. People immediately assumed he was guilty. If it wasn't for the witnesses and other evidence he would still be in jail today. 

But in the Kho Tao case the alleged victim hasn't accused any particular person. 

14 hours ago, IslandLover said:

If you look at the following article written by Associated Press which appeared in a U.S. publication earlier today, it shows a photo of the t-shirt itself being displayed on a screen during the press conference.  What's curious is that there are several red rings marked on the t-shirt.  So, if there were no traces of semen and/or DNA on the t-shirt, what do these represent?

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/nation-world/article220085355.html?fbclid=IwAR1l3rEeQk6JoxI64jeuEmqCHNwXdZbqCs8hNvptaZHhKzQybwIw6nzzw_Q

894966802_KohTaorapecasepressconference.JPG.2240410eaeb05cb9d3f0fd8989a6bbf6.JPG

The press reports in the National papers state that there was both male and female DNA on the shirt, but no semen was found. (TV article headline is incorrect.)

8 minutes ago, Crash999 said:

The boyfriend was interviewed early on. He didn't say too much, only that he believed her and the reason they broke up wasn't to do with the rape. 

Forgot about that, the couple broke up. If the guy would have said he believed she was raped, then he may have been summoned to give court evidence in Thailand and not able to leave the country until the case was concluded. But I would lay odds he does not believe her and distanced himself from it. Who can blame him? 

What we have so far; the girl can`t give any details of who she was with, where she had been, where she was, who were the last persons to see her before the alleged event took place, not one witness has come forward and no evidence from the tee-shirt even through it was in Britain for DNA testing. Maybe it was a close encounter of the third kind?

8 hours ago, sambum said:

Sorry, not taking sides, but does the headline in this post not say "lack of evidence and no DNA"?

Yes it does state that. But it is wrong. Headline-grabbing by TV?

The actual article below the headline quotes " British police also handed over a T-shirt the 19-year-old woman wore on June 25, the day of the alleged attack, and forensic tests found the DNA of a woman and a man but no trace of the attacker’s semen, as she claimed.  "

This has also been reported in the National newspapers.

Unfortunately many posters do not bother to read and understand the articles. More fun to have a go at the RTP?

I am not saying that the RTP have covered themselves in glory, but with the lack of evidence, poor reporting and the usual Koh Tao 'bashing' it is quite difficult to keep an open mind on this (and other) case/cases.

2 hours ago, British Bulldog said:

That's what was going through my mind also ... where are the Scotland Yard Lab boys ?

'British police also handed over a T-shirt the 19-year-old woman wore on June 25, the day of the alleged attack, and forensic tests found the DNA of a woman and a man but no trace of the attacker’s semen, as she claimed.  '

Perhaps read the whole article?

18 hours ago, webfact said:

“However, she could not identify the site of the attack nor the identity of the attacker. She could not even provide details on how the attack happened,” Piyapong said.

Many locations probably look 'similar' to a foreign tourist. Oftentimes, even to me, who has lived for a long time here, Thais look 'the same' (and similar to other nationalities). The girl was probably drunk, and, perhaps, her drink was spiked. How, under these circumstances, can she remember 'details on what happened'?

No semen on the T-shirt? Well, I don't know much about s..ual practices of Thais, but semen is usually found somewhere else! The woman is a 19-year old teenager, who must have been shocked, if it really happened. (I met Thais, who could not tell me what they had for breakfast that very morning, or who couldn't remember what weekday it was! And they were sober...)

Neither is the Thai police a 'real' police compared to other police forces in the world, nor would I trust this so-called "investigation"! 

Of course, no other outcome possible. Some shopping could be done on the way so the trip was not completely wasted.

My trip to all those young backpackers = stay away from Thailand in general and such mafia-infested islands like Koh Tao. Visit i.e. Myanmar instead, more beautiful, more pristine and with much nicer people. 

If a woman does not go to the police immediately, its makes me very skeptical about her allegations. There is too many women making false allegations and it only harms those that have been assaulted.

Well done to the police for taking it seriously enough to travel to the UK to speak with the women that made these spurious allegations. 

Archived