Koh Tao rape claim dismissed by Thai police, citing lack of evidence and no DNA

webfact

There was some confusion about the correct time, it may have been evening of 25 or early hours 26 June, the conversation with the 'friendly hostel lady' took place on the morning of the 26th and that was when she was leaving  Koh Tao.

So she arrives on the 26th and reports to KP police on the morning of 27th.

Where do these morons get the 'huge delay' in reporting the crime?

koh_tao_rape_police_report-1.jpg

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

There was some confusion about the correct time, it may have been evening of 25 or early hours 26 June, the conversation with the 'friendly hostel lady' took place on the morning of the 26th and that was when she was leaving  Koh Tao.

So she arrives on the 26th and reports to KP police on the morning of 27th.

Where do these morons get the 'huge delay' in reporting the crime?

koh_tao_rape_police_report-1.jpg

It doesn’t fit with the image they want to portray for the lady. It’s quite sickening some of the lengths some people will go to in order to deliver their agenda.  

7 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Many locations probably look 'similar' to a foreign tourist. Oftentimes, even to me, who has lived for a long time here, Thais look 'the same' (and similar to other nationalities). The girl was probably drunk, and, perhaps, her drink was spiked. How, under these circumstances, can she remember 'details on what happened'?

No semen on the T-shirt? Well, I don't know much about s..ual practices of Thais, but semen is usually found somewhere else! The woman is a 19-year old teenager, who must have been shocked, if it really happened. (I met Thais, who could not tell me what they had for breakfast that very morning, or who couldn't remember what weekday it was! And they were sober...)

Neither is the Thai police a 'real' police compared to other police forces in the world, nor would I trust this so-called "investigation"! 

So you would just take the word of everybody who makes a claim? What is there left on this case that they can follow up on?  Arrest the entire male population of KT and keep them until somebody confesses? 

6 hours ago, hsovereign said:

Another lucky escape for the evil that terrorises Koh Tao.  One day the local people will be able to shed light on to the corrupt cockroaches that run things there. Shame that the British police let a chance to expose the culprits go. They should have taken a dna sample first.  When will it end? 

What makes you think the MET did not run a DNA test? Does it not fit into your view of the world that there might be no useable DNA traces ?

On 10/16/2018 at 4:47 PM, rkidlad said:

The RTP spent all that money to get a statement they had already received before. Well, at least they have the t-shirt now. 

Maybe by spending all this money and having the RTP’s top dogs making statements on an alleged rape they think they’re further cementing in people’s minds that it didn’t happen. For me, it just further cements my initial thoughts that they’re doing all they can to protect the island’s reputation and bottom line. 

"Been there got the T-shirt".........555

10 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Oh wait.....the location couldn't be described, the perpetrator couldn't be described, there was no DNA, no witnesses, only hearsay....if you were the RTP what would you do with all that, start a manhunt for somebody or arrest a Burmese!

might be worth looking for her phone and credit cards that could turn up a new lead

30 minutes ago, huberthammer said:

So you would just take the word of everybody who makes a claim? What is there left on this case that they can follow up on?  Arrest the entire male population of KT and keep them until somebody confesses? 

What is there left on this case that they can follow up on?

her phone and credit cards ????

9 minutes ago, cookieqw said:

the only thing of substance is the fact her phone and cards were stolen,  but their doesnt seem to be a lot of interest in this, unless she found them ???

The Thai police don`t give her rape claim any credibility, the British embassy have already stated in one of the earlier threads that they didn`t hold much weight to her rape claim, the British police have said nothing, her friends have said nothing, her boyfriend has turned his back on her and the girl herself says she knows nothing. Her phone, credit cards and underwear have done a vanishing act, that I guarantee will never be seen again. 

The only time this girl will make a statement or an appearance if the media offer her money. Wouldn`t surprise me if seeing her in the Daily Mail posing in a bikini or mini skirt. I was going to say; liar, liar, pants of fire, but of course the pants have gone also. 

1 hour ago, cyberfarang said:

The Thai police don`t give her rape claim any credibility, the British embassy have already stated in one of the earlier threads that they didn`t hold much weight to her rape claim, the British police have said nothing, her friends have said nothing, her boyfriend has turned his back on her and the girl herself says she knows nothing. Her phone, credit cards and underwear have done a vanishing act, that I guarantee will never be seen again. 

The only time this girl will make a statement or an appearance if the media offer her money. Wouldn`t surprise me if seeing her in the Daily Mail posing in a bikini or mini skirt. I was going to say; liar, liar, pants of fire, but of course the pants have gone also. 

Another member of the 'glee club', posting for his daily entertainment, unfortunately offering us an insight into his innermost thoughts:

Please provide one link where it is mentioned her underwear was missing. You refer to this twice so hopefully there is a valid reason for the claim.

22 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

Another member of the 'glee club', posting for his daily entertainment, unfortunately offering us an insight into his innermost thoughts:

Please provide one link where it is mentioned her underwear was missing. You refer to this twice so hopefully there is a valid reason for the claim.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30353018

53 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

30 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

" ...filed a complaint saying only that she’d been robbed of money and her belongings while on Koh Tao."

Nowhere in this article, or anywhere else is mention made of her underwear.

It only exists in your mind. Along with images of her in mini-skirt or bikini...

It would be nice if you could confine your lecherous thoughts to your own fantasy world, and stop posting twisted crap here.

I feel dirty.

Here is a link where the police state exactly what was reported missing...

5 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

" ...filed a complaint saying only that she’d been robbed of money and her belongings while on Koh Tao."

It only exists in your mind. Along with images of her in mini-skirt or bikini...

It would be nice if you could confine your lecherous thoughts to your own fantasy world, and stop posting twisted crap here.

I feel dirty.

The same underwear he earlier

said would probably have holes in it line Swiss cheese. 

I think he’s living out his fantasies on here. 

59 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

"She then passed out and later woke up on the beach with no shorts or underwear with a man next to her who was smiling, he then left the scene."

http://www.samuitimes.com/koh-tao-rape-victim-escapes-island-and-reports-attack-to-police-in-the-uk/

Yeah, I know, it's me again droning on and on. If its too long then obviously you don't have to read it to find that out. I think what I have written is more useful for people who are not too familiar with how things work in Thailand. If you live here I think a lot of what we we find in this case is all par for the course. That said, here's my inventory of whats wrong with the whole picture of this latest Ko Tao rape/murder drama even if most of it for Thais or expats may go without saying.

To me, it is clear there is not yet any particularly damning evidence, but there are a number of things that are perhaps a bit off. For one thing it doesn't seem right that we never hear from the girl or her mother, it is all what the Thai police say the girl said to them on their investigation junket to the UK. That alone doesn't inspire much confidence, in fact it is rather a non-starter for me to be asked to just take the Thai police's word. I'm not holding my breath, but it would be nice to hear some in depth statements from the UK police etc too. Seems the girl is being shushed by someone, maybe lawyers, maybe the UK authorities, dunno. And I hope that this isn't the last we hear of all this, even if it is only that the Thai police were right in this particular case, that indeed it was just some drunk confused kid that got into something rather less than what she and her mother might be trying to  lead us to believe. Somehow I don't think so, but i have no evidence to go on to suggest my gut feeling is right, not yet anyway. Unlike the Thai police, I am not saying this case is closed, not by a long shot, and i don't think that anyone who is interested in this case is. So, granted perhaps i am a bit biased by the past Ko Tao tourist murder cases, some of which were very badly handled, and seem to me and many others to have likely been cover ups. But again being asked to listen to the Thai police's side of it and their side alone doesn't help their credibility. Not that they seem to care at this point, evidently. I would think that if this is just a case of a hysterical girl telling lies you'd want to appear as open and public about all of this as possible, but then again who knows, I'm certainly not going to say the police are hiding something just because their modus would appear to be somewhat less than transparent. Obviously I and the public know little to nothing about any of this case.

But I find things reported in this latest article that, not surprisingly, all point to a kind of haste and insecurity and a tending towards a foregone conclusion. If nothing else, even if at this point it is fair to say there is no evidence of a rape other than what the girl has said, a habit of doing investigations that are foregone conclusions seems to be making an example of itself. Yet again. Its like shooting fish in a barrel, but the problems with the "investigation" reported by the police to the media in this article, I would assume, would be, frankly, and sorry to say, insulting to anyone's intelligence: 

“However, she could not identify the site of the attack nor the identity of the attacker. She could not even provide details on how the attack happened,” Piyapong said. Therefore, due to the lack of sufficient information offered by the woman, Thai police could not proceed with the investigation, he said.

Really? Well...so...? Lots of things happen to people, particularly when there is distress involved, where they don't remember exactly what happened or how it happened. But by no stretch of logic however does it mean that whatever it was didn't in fact happen or that you can still be reasonable and ask us to take you seriously and say you're finished with examining some unsolved case, that the person was lying or not cooperating or whatever just because they can't answer your first couple of questions about what happened. There are plenty of other lines of questioning that might turn up evidence besides those an investigator has decided are the best ones. If you are genuinely interested to get to the bottom of something, what grounds do you have to essentially say something like,  "Well, the victim won't get with the program and answer the questions, so then we're done." To my mind, for whatever that is worth, the questions don't even seem particularly good.  If I am not mistaken, the incident happened at night, the alleged victim was a tourist and therefor it's quite conceivable she was not entirely familiar with where exactly she was or what her alleged assailant looked like. Seems we are being asked by the Thai and UK authorities to think it reasonable to assume that most tourists would have a clear idea of exactly where they are when it is dark outside in some place they may have not yet had a chance to become even remotely familiar with. Again, we weren't at the questioning and we have to accept the Thai police's interpretation of the alleged victims responses. Those who live here know how easy "misunderstandings" happen. What exactly did the girl say or how did she respond? The questions the police posed seem to me like an OK starting point, but that only, it seems rather like some shoddily contrived set up for the victim to fail to just call off the investigation quickly and get back to shopping, or new directives from Theresa or your London bankers, or new watches or a banquet with Yingluck or whatever it was was actually the more important items on the trip to UK agenda. 

"The alleged victim did not file a report with Koh Tao police. Instead, she returned to the UK in early July and reported the alleged rape to her mother, who then lodged a report with local police."

Seems strange that this is so important to the police. This is cited in practically every article on this whole alleged incident. I'm not in law or law enforcement, so perhaps there is something I have missed, but this seems more an issue of the claimant not following a certain arbitrary set of bureaucratic rules that she is supposed to somehow already know by telepathy. I cannot fathom what  difference  it could make as to whether she was raped or not whether she filed a report with the Ko Tao police or not. Its like they think they are halfway finished with the case simply because she didn't file a report with the right people. And by that the police are rather baldly admitting that their unsaid unspecified rules are what's important, not whether or not someone was raped, almost as tho' to say, there is no reality to anything that doesn't conform to our expectations or arbitrary bureaucratic requirements. I think this point should be noted by anyone who is reckless enough to go to Ko Tao, that if you get in trouble there, it's about playing the police's rules as to ho w you make a complaint and other regulations not about what happened to you, you are on your own. After you understand that not following arbitrary procedures is more important than anything that could have happened to you, ironically, it's like why would anyone report to them. You have to laugh, I mean, aren't they like annoyed if you go into report a rape to them? That's always what I've gathered, don't even bother with the police in Thaoland unless you want even more trouble. Do the police not know that by bringing this point up again and again, that the girl didn't report the crime to Ko tao first, that they are proclaiming in underlined capitals to the world, we have no interest in even putting on the pretense of protecting people or tourists, if you have a problem, you can just forget that, you now have a problem with us: figure out our rules and dance or we'll come after you in your home country, provided you also have interesting other things to do there to make it truly worthwhile.

"Speaking at the same press conference, national police chief Pol General Chakthip Chaijinda said it has been concluded that there was no rape on Koh Tao as claimed by the woman and police considered the investigation closed."

And there you have it, because we've told you that our "examination" found no dna on the shirt we took, and that the girl didn't respond satisfactorily to questions about where or what the assailant looked like, it didn't happen. Right!

I hope that actually it simply is that they don't care about the case. Contraray to what they would have us believe, There is no conclusion being made. If you don't investigate anything you can't have a conclusion.  There is nothing investigatory about any "investigation" and its handlers who make such "conclusions" who forego basic logic with the because there is no evidence that we can find the incident never happened. Its just a dismissal and an order for people to accept whatever the Thai police want to say.. They would look better to me if they just said, "We don't care about this. Go ahead, Boycott us, who cares? If you don't like it, go to Bali! Go to Vietnam! Go to Greece for your beach holiday. Ya buncha western hypocrites, what nerve. We have plenty of other tourists from countries who don't raise a stink. Scram!"  But no, there they are telling you, and I think, insulting everyone on top of it all with: this we did an investigation and we have come to a conclusion that the rape never happened. They wouldn't know a conclusion if it bit them in the ass at the beginning of their next life as an 8th generation R2D2 robot in the 337th sequel of Star Wars!

But all sarcasm and mild outrage aside, I think it would be fair for the police to say, there is nothing conclusive showing anything suggesting a rape happened and we don't know one way or the other and sorry but frankly we aren't terribly interested in this anymore. Seems to be the UK authorites' tack in this.  But to say it didn't happen is over the top. They cannot even be bothered to say how they concluded that no DNA was on the shirt. Its just there wasn't any dna because we say so, none of this ever happened, just forget it all bye bye! Might makes right, end of story, welcome Ko Tao "A tropical dream," to quote the current header on the Lonely Planet Ko Tao page.

14 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

I feel dirty.

Here is a link where the police state exactly what was reported missing...

did you actually even read the article or jsut see what you wanted to see??

not sure if its allowed but i copy n pasted it for you

The Samui Times said the woman had a drink at a bar called the Fish Bowl, moved on to the Leo for another, and began feeling very tired. “She then passed out and later woke up on the beach with no shorts or underwear, with a man next to her who was smiling,” it said. “He then left the scene.”

6 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

"She then passed out and later woke up on the beach with no shorts or underwear with a man next to her who was smiling, he then left the scene."

http://www.samuitimes.com/koh-tao-rape-victim-escapes-island-and-reports-attack-to-police-in-the-uk/

Interesting. Now you choose to support and provide links to Samui Times?

Is this not the report which you and other deflectors claimed was 'fake news'? Even the RTP threatened the editor with arrest. 

Edit: This is not a credible source - this article was purposefully barbed for purposes of attacking the island, it was not quoting the girl. No report where the victim gave information, Thai or UK papers stated that fact.

4 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

Is this not the report which you and other deflectors claimed was 'fake news'? Even the RTP threatened the editor with arrest. 

You said provide one link -- there's a link.

Image result for fred astaire

3 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

You said provide one link -- there's a link.

Image result for fred astaire

Enjoy the moment, but you show very clearly that you are guilty of duplicity which damages your credibility far more than mine.

You are also jumping to the defense of a warped mind who posts mountains of garbage just for his entertainment. His perverted fantasies about a 19 year old possible rape victim makes him not the kind of person I wish to side with, no matter how thrilling the little ego trip.

23 minutes ago, frank83628 said:

did you actually even read the article or jsut see what you wanted to see??

not sure if its allowed but i copy n pasted it for you

The Samui Times said the woman had a drink at a bar called the Fish Bowl, moved on to the Leo for another, and began feeling very tired. “She then passed out and later woke up on the beach with no shorts or underwear, with a man next to her who was smiling,” it said. “He then left the scene.”

1, The link provided by cyberbully was to an article in The Nation but you are quoting Samui Times.

2. The Samui Times article was universally rubbished as sensationalism, targeting Koh Tao - in other words not credible.

28 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

Edit: This is not a credible source - this article was purposefully barbed for purposes of attacking the island, it was not quoting the girl. No report where the victim gave information, Thai or UK papers stated that fact.

There lots of credible news sites that quote the same.

She claimed her underwear was missing, but I have not given the links because Thai visa prohibit posting links to certain news sites. Do your own searching.

6 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

1, The link provided by cyberbully was to an article in The Nation but you are quoting Samui Times.

2. The Samui Times article was universally rubbished as sensationalism, targeting Koh Tao - in other words not credible.

you were trying to lambast the poster when you clearly hadnt read all of the article,
the underwear was in fact mentioned.....yes, i think the ST is BS, but they still wrote it

Might I suggest people just stop posting the character assassination crap against the girl?

The case is closed as there was no evidence.

This does not mean there was no attack, just it can't be proven.

Nobody knows what really happened.

What the hell more needs be said?

3 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

Might I suggest people just stop posting the character assassination crap against the girl?

The case is closed as there was no evidence.

This does not mean there was no attack, just it can't be proven.

Nobody knows what really happened.

What the hell more needs be said?

"What the hell more needs be said?"

The importance of this report is that women who make false claims of being raped are extremely damaging to real rape victims. Can`t be bothered explaining further.

There is no need to bash RTP and Big Joke in this case.  

He really did try to find evidence , even going to England.

This is a new line from the Thai police , and without evidence there is nothing they can do in this case anyway. 

The reason for all the press conferences in public is of course to send out a signal to anyone trying to report false claims and tell the world they take crime seriously . 

Be prepared for more of this , as long as young backpackers keep coming to Full Moon parties , sex and drugs , more incidents will happen. 

Maybe the best thing would be to not allow the Full Moon party , and stop all the drug traffic. Then the young westerners will travel elsewhere , to Cambodia. 

I remember in the early days of this story where it was stated that the beach itself, in the area that the girl/her mother indicated that alleged rape took place, was actually under water at the alleged time of the rape (around 1:00am) because it was high tide so there was no area of the beach that was above sea level. 

Now, I can possibly understand her not recognizing a beach area you're not familiar when shown photos by the police but I'm sure as hell I'd remember if I was underwater when I woke up. And, after such a traumatic experience, even in a dazed state I'd be trying to remember some sort of landmark, yet (again from memory) I'm sure her/her mother named some places she'd visited, before the alleged rape, with the men she was sharing her room with, but, according to this article, she now appears not to be able to remember anywhere she had been to. 

You will find that most of the deaths of young tourists on Koh Tao island can be attributed to whom and what they are getting into.

There are no cover ups, no psychos going about raping and killing people. Some get involved in bad company among the tourists themselves. There is a drugs, booze and sex culture going on in these tourist islands and why they go there. Some get in way too deep and things can happen that become out of control.

Simple as that.

10 hours ago, huberthammer said:

No, I wouldn't. But it is my opinion that the standard of local police investigations, possibly even in this case, is under par, and results should be taken with a pinch of salt...

Archived