Used car price list?

PAV123

Anyone who knows if there is a "public" used car price list, which is regularly updated?
Looking for a used car to a friend of mine here on the internet, but prices vary quite a bit, for the same type of car, equipment and year model.

Any good advice?

If you look at sites like Chobrod and Taladrod you can get a sense of costs. For popular models prices are generally in line with one another. Bear in mind there can be quite a big difference for the same model and year in spec/trim. For example a new from the dealer Honda Jazz bottom spec vs top spec is a very big range, so you'll see that reflected too in used cars. And of course high or low KMs and condition will impact on price too. 

• Like 1

Usually by looking at several ads online,  you'll get a feeling for the low ball price.

Regardless of price. Get all the usual tests.

Air con pressure test for example is a must.  After deciding on the highest  price you are prepared to pay for a tested car, make your offers and don't show too much excitement or interest in the car. 

If your offer is accepted too quickly,  you know you've paid too much. 

6 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Usually by looking at several ads online,  you'll get a feeling for the low ball price.

Regardless of price. Get all the usual tests.

Air con pressure test for example is a must.  After deciding on the highest  price you are prepared to pay for a tested car, make your offers and don't show too much excitement or interest in the car. 

If your offer is accepted too quickly,  you know you've paid too much. 

Well I will accept an offer very quickly if it's OK.....????

On 10/17/2018 at 11:11 PM, CharlieH said:

Unless you can speak good Thai, or have a Thai to negotiate for you I would stay away from the small car sales and stick to places like "toyotasure" guaranteed used cars, and the prices will be fixed. 

Otherwise you'll pay more as soon as they see you! (is my experience).

There is no 'list' that I have heard of.Its all pretty much whatever they feel they can get. 2nd hand here are outrageous in my opinion.

No such thing as a blue book. The price of second hand cars is what the seller thinks the potential buyer would stand for.

On 10/17/2018 at 11:11 PM, CharlieH said:

Unless you can speak good Thai, or have a Thai to negotiate for you I would stay away from the small car sales and stick to places like "toyotasure" guaranteed used cars, and the prices will be fixed. 

Otherwise you'll pay more as soon as they see you! (is my experience).

There is no 'list' that I have heard of.Its all pretty much whatever they feel they can get. 2nd hand here are outrageous in my opinion.

Have to agree . Also I went to Toyota Sure & they are also pricey . Couple of car sales in Bangkok , one is called one2car that seem to be OK ish but the one thing that does concern me is the sometimes immaculate condition of the cars even if 4 years old . No way to find out if you are buying a crash repair that I know of . Also finance seems to be on the high side .

13 minutes ago, superal said:

Have to agree . Also I went to Toyota Sure & they are also pricey . Couple of car sales in Bangkok , one is called one2car that seem to be OK ish but the one thing that does concern me is the sometimes immaculate condition of the cars even if 4 years old . No way to find out if you are buying a crash repair that I know of . Also finance seems to be on the high side .

We just bought a ride from a dealer that was linked to one2car....Gave a written guaranty for engine and trans for one year...I spent a lot of time looking at panel lines etc for damage repairs, also those weeee under hood paint dabs on the engine etc bolts to see if they had been undone..It was "clean" from engineering/bodywork...????

1 hour ago, superal said:

In my experience Toyota Sure only buy late cars and old cars they will offer next to nothing more or less saying we don't want it.

S/H dealers are pricey even paying cash and vat is added.

Buying private you can get a good deal if you pay cash if you have to get finance then no choice other than to pay big % 's.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

In my experience Toyota Sure only buy late cars and old cars they will offer next to nothing more or less saying we don't want it.

Buying private you can get a good deal if you pay cash if you have to get finance then no choice other than to pay big % 's.

Mrs.Trans went to Sure....Saw a nice old Vios, it had 300,000km on the clock for daft money......It has taken me many days of chat to open her eyes that she must really take into account age, mileage and not the badge and it looks OK...????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I did not know that vat was added to the asking price , not something that I have had before . Can you please confirm that and what is the vat rate ?

3 hours ago, superal said:

I did not know that vat was added to the asking price , not something that I have had before . Can you please confirm that and what is the vat rate ?

7% as far as I know and if you buy private you reduced the cost you paid if you get my gist 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

one2car is pretty good reference, aim for LOWEST price on one2car for standard / starting point.

facebook marketplace also great looking place, but not well organized as one2car

also craigslist, bahtsold, or go to a big used car tent look at price tag under windshield

Edited by Coremouse
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

buying used cars in LOS

So have I. The used Vios I bought from a farang is still going strong after 70,000 km of my use.

The Merc I bought from an Asian was a different story. Cheap bastard put water in the radiator instead of coolant, and ran it on 91 octane instead of the recommended 95.

No service records. Admittedly I took a punt on the W124 engine being durable; however, it was anything but. Sold it a few months ago, thankful to be rid of it. An expensive lesson.

It's going to get very interesting when higher mileage CVT used cars flood the market. CVT's are very expensive to replace/repair, and they demand meticulous maintenance plus premium transmission oils. I'm willing to bet many Thais will skimp on maintenance costs, with inevitable consequences. I understand the Nissan CVT's are particularly vulnerable.

You're entitled to your opinion. However, the lack of detail to support the opinion detracts from its credibility.