Britain open to longer Brexit transition but sees no need for it: May

webfact

Britain open to longer Brexit transition but sees no need for it: May

2018-10-18T074525Z_1_LYNXNPEE9H0KX_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU-SUMMIT-ARRIVALS.JPG

Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May speaks to the media as she arrives at the European Union leaders summit in Brussels, Belgium October 18, 2018. REUTERS/Francois Lenoir

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - London is willing to discuss an extension of the transition period after Britain leaves the European Union, without ever planning to use it, British Prime Minister Theresa May said on Thursday at a summit of EU leaders.

"I'm clear that I expect the implementation period to end at the end of December 2020," May said, referring to the time after Britain's departure to allow business to adapt to being outside the bloc.

"The point is that this would not have to be used," May said of the transition period idea until the of 2021.

At a dinner on Wednesday evening, May assured EU leaders in Brussels that she can still reach a Brexitdeal, avoiding a showdown over stalled talks as Brussels stepped up planning for a failure of negotiations.

May said she was working with the European Union to ensure there was no hard border on the island of Ireland.

"If there is a gap between the end of the implementation period and the point at which the future relationship comes in - we don't expect a gap to exist, but if there is, we want to ensure there is no hard border between Northern Ireland and Ireland," she told reporters.

(Reporting by Elizabeth Piper, Philip Blenkinsop; Editing by Alissa de Carbonnel)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-10-19

This topic is becoming boring. This is Thailand where we live. Who cares about what happens to the UK? They voted to leave the EU so whether they make a deal or not it is not much interest to us. 

2 hours ago, Ulic said:

Europe is not negotiating they are dictating.

That’s happening when you have the bargaining power. 

2 hours ago, Ulic said:

I also believe the EU should be upfront.

They have been since two years. 

2 hours ago, Ulic said:

Business can handle both good news and bad news, what it cant handle is no news and indecision.

Agree to this. Economy needs clarity now and this has been going on for too long already. The options were known since two years and the EU generously gave the U.K. enough time to evaluate these options and which one to pick. If the U.K. after that long time still isn’t able to make a decision, we should just stop this now and let everyone move on. Give the U.K. a final deadline to decide between option a, b and c. One of it (and the default) is no deal.

• Like 2

Dear Theresa, I am open to the UK government depositing 1 billion pounds in my bank account.  Unusual I'm sure, but the point is that this would not have to be used.  If there is a gap between my expected and actual lifestyles - I don't expect a gap to exist, but if there is, I want to ensure there is no hardship in my future life, and my cake will remain in the cupboard despite my eating it every day.

• Like 2

Dragging it out to the end of 2021 doesn't make much difference to me except it means the uncertainty continues longer.  But for the country I think it is really bad news.  In March we leave the EU and I assume that at that point every thing is agreed and it is just a matter of implementing the mechanics of the deal.  This latest statement seems to indicate that all is not decided and won't be by the leave date.

Of course if there is no deal then there won't be a transition period at all, it really will be the cliff edge.  So at what point will they make that call if that is what they decide on?  It is all very well building the lorry park just outside of Dover but the fallout from a no deal would be massively disruptive and would need a lot of preparing for. 

So to come back from Brussels with a proposition to simply extend the transition period indicates to me that neither side are really contemplating a No Deal at all. In which case we are just looking at the Ireland issue and what it entails to get that agreed.  But surely this is really about a trade deal and customs union dressed up as a border issue.

4 hours ago, gamini said:

This topic is becoming boring. This is Thailand where we live. Who cares about what happens to the UK? They voted to leave the EU so whether they make a deal or not it is not much interest to us. 

It may be of more interest than you think if next year many 1000's of us have to return to the UK because the British Embassy will no longer issue an income certificate.  Therefore it is of extreme interest to some. 

If you find the subject boring why bother to open it and post a comment ? Plenty of other topics for you to read.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, gamini said:

Few cares what happens to the UK. More people care what happens to the EU.

Not sure you really thought this post post through, even proof reading would have raised alarm bells.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, citybiker said:

More people?

Only if your a MS.

The rest of the word couldn’t give a toss if it’s no direct impact.

500 million people versus 60 million people. Yes, more people. 

1 minute ago, citybiker said:

Whats the global' population again?

Global population is more than 60 million. Real and worthy people, most of them.

12 hours ago, Ulic said:

Europe is not negotiating they are dictating. They don't believe the UK will leave without a deal and that the UK will capitulate and leave the EU in name only. They could have stopped the UK from leaving with some very minor concessions but they did not believe for an instant the "leave" Brexit vote would win. So here we are again. I am not sure what will happen. While I think May is totally incompetent, I also believe the EU should be upfront. No need to kick the can down the road any further. The EU would like this delay so they can continue to get transfer payments from the UK and destabilize UK business investment. Business can handle both good news and bad news, what it cant handle is no news and indecision. Time for May to realize this and go for a hard Brexit and use the remaining time to get organized and make things as orderly as possible.  

What did you expect of negotiations between one strong side and one weak side?

This was never going to be a negotiation between two equal partners. 

"They need us more than we need them" was a popular slogan by the Brexiters. They thought that EU countries would run crying, trying to stop UK from leaving EU. That didn't happen, did it?

Arrogance has worked well in the UK's past. Darn, you concurred half ot the world. However that same power of arrogance has gone to it's end. Don't expect EU to see UK as a upper class society, above us all, like India did many moons ago. 

EU will eventually thank you for surrendering your services and manufacturing businesses to us. We'll send potatoes and wheat to your people in need when the time comes. As a token of our appreciation of the past good years together. 

Bye bye