Thai Airways investigate "deadhead pilot" delay drama

webfact

6 hours ago, Toknarok said:

When an airline demands that a passenger give up a seat, the airline is required to pay double the passenger's one-way fare, up to $675 (£544) provided the passenger is put on a flight that arrives within one to two hours of the original.

I don't think you gonna make any first class passenger happy with that kind of compensation, as you can't even buy a one way economy ticket to Zurich for that price.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, blackhorse said:
9 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:
With 1st class full, were the majority RTA travellers? .....apparently, there were Business seats available but of course, that's never going to be good enough for Thai Air pilots.
Be interesting if further details come out.

Of course it wouldn't good enough for any pilot if they need proper sleep.

If a pilot needs "proper" sleep on a plane then that's even more worrying...

2 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

I don't think you gonna make any first class passenger happy with that kind of compensation, as you can't even buy a one way economy ticket to Zurich for that price.

Absolutely. It's not only the compensation - I fly to Thailand a few times a year in FC and one of the highlights of the trip is the flight and experiencing FC service. I'd be pissed as hell if I had to downgrade

3 hours ago, bowerboy said:

They were probably on points bookings.

I flew First Class to Frankfurt on Thai on the A380 recently for just 90k points and about $400 in taxes. In that case it would of been hard to argue against being downgraded. 

On a a side note Bill Heineke was sat next to me on the return flight.

Even in first though you still have to use the same incredibly poor choice of movies and programs on the IFE. Bed and food was good but service very poor compared to first on other airlines.

Why? You've paid enough money to the airline over the years to earn those points. I don't see why you should be downgraded.  Service on Thai is hit and miss. When it's good, it's very good; when it's bad, it's awful.

• Like 1

A clear case of "me first, me first" (excuse the pun).

The flight captain and the two pilots who refused business seats should moved to toilet cleaning in Suvarnabhumi, not just for causing delay and discomfort to all other passengers (the source of their income), but because of the mentality that they have shown.

Incidentally, if you are a tired person who just needs to sleep before taking up duty, business seats nowadays are almost always lie-flat. Put up a "don't wake me up for meals" sticker and enjoy 10 hours of sleep. Btw, did they enjoy some fine wine in FC, before their next piloting duty?

59 minutes ago, Knowsitlike said:

If you know this route then there is no first class on TG, as the post above mentioned it is a two class flight (Eco, Bus) but there must have been a plane change to 747-4 that has a first section that they can assign business class passengers into. Usually TG will block these (better) business seats for non active pilots and select frequent passengers to sit there, it is sometimes possible to book those seats online if you are quick or know which routes this case applies on. 

So these passengers were not first class passengers being demoted to business, technically they were business class being asked to move to another area of business due to something going wrong with the seat booking and allocation.

But, yes this was clearly badly handled by the pilot on duty to not realize that insisting on the usual policy and forcing to move these people, and to delay the flight so long would create bad press especially in this day of social media. Good relations is knowing when not to apply the rules, 99% of the time TG staff manage such things with class and good grace.

Yes agreed. Similar to the explaination my wife told me. Thanks for saving me the trouble of trying to explain it. TA did nothing wrong its been blown up out of proportion.

• Like 1

It is well known that all airlines have allocated seats for such aircrew on long haul flights only.Usually they are in first or business class if available. They can not remove paying passengers from their seats but they will rearrange their seats at check in if they are full and the usual victim will be the eco class passengers.

• Like 1

Thai airways is not run for the convenience of passengers its run for the convenience of their employees and Thai Government officials, passengers come last should tell you something about who to fly with and who to give a miss to.

• Like 1

A lot missing from this story. Firstly THAI routinely operate a B777 on TG970/971 which doesn't have First Class. The B747 was operated instead of the usual 777 for 4 days straight for some unexplained reason (could well be because it involves a subject that can't be discussed in Thailand).

So I very much doubt that it is even possible to buy a First Class ticket on that route and so all those sitting in those 14 First Class seats were likely "upgraded" anyway.  

I have no idea what those extra cockpit crew were doing on that flight (Deadhead isn't a term used at TG) but I do know that all THAI flights of that duration have 4 cockpit crew (2 Captains, 2 Co-Pilots) and so that they can rest during the flight. The B777 that would usually be operated has special bunks for Cockpit crew rest but the B747 doesn't so it is likely and logical that 2 First Class seats would have been blocked from sale for that purpose.

• Thanks 1

It sounds like these folks were classified as NRPS or non-revenue positive space. That means they are traveling with confirmed booking and are guaranteed a seat... just like a paying or revenue passenger.

the next element that must be addressed is what is TGs specific policy - and each airline may set their own - on NRPS passengers.

Some carriers have what’s known as MUST-RIDE NRPS bookings.. this means that IF the flight is oversold and the carrier has to deny boarding- known as involuntary denied boarding or IDB (after asking for volunteers), they can NOT choose to IDB the “must ride” — s/he must travel on that flight.

The next element that has to be addressed is class of travel.  This is where both carrier policy AND collective bargaining agreement (CBA) language come into play.

it IS possible that the two people in the story were traveling under CBA language that provides for and requires TG to provide first class travel (usally defined as the highest class of travel on any given aircraft model given that some aircraft are 2-cabin only) or any given class of seat.

IF that was the case, then TG would be correct to IDG (involuntary downgrade) a number of revenue passengers out of F down into C/J cabin *with proper IDG fare adjustment* being refunded.

The part that to me sounds odd is that normally all this is taken care of well in advance of boarding or departure.  Normally anyone traveling NRPS is booked in advance and local staff would know: a) they have folks traveling NRPS, b) they are “must rides” and c) their booking is one that can’t be IDGed 

So if this would have created an overbooking scenario in the F cabin, local staff would have sorted that out before check-in, decided who was going to be IDGed, altered the booking of the downgraded pax and cut whatever compensation due.

i would be very surprised if this took place airside or at time of boarding or departure.

I do agree that it was wise not to depart until the matter was properly sorted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, kkerry said:

Air Asia, Jetstar, Lion, where service can be hit and miss can at least trot out the excuse they are budget airlines where expectations are low... now confirmed Thai added to the list...

I have flown with AIR ASIA on many occasions within ASEAN and have NEVER experienced "hit and miss" service.

2 hours ago, Knowsitlike said:

If you know this route then there is no first class on TG, as the post above mentioned it is a two class flight (Eco, Bus) but there must have been a plane change to 747-4 that has a first section that they can assign business class passengers into. Usually TG will block these (better) business seats for non active pilots and select frequent passengers to sit there, it is sometimes possible to book those seats online if you are quick or know which routes this case applies on. 

So these passengers were not first class passengers being demoted to business, technically they were business class being asked to move to another area of business due to something going wrong with the seat booking and allocation.

But, yes this was clearly badly handled by the pilot on duty to not realize that insisting on the usual policy and forcing to move these people, and to delay the flight so long would create bad press especially in this day of social media. Good relations is knowing when not to apply the rules, 99% of the time TG staff manage such things with class and good grace.

Where does it say, in the story, they were asked to move to a different area in business class?

25 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

I have flown with AIR ASIA on many occasions within ASEAN and have NEVER experienced "hit and miss" service.

I won’t fly with them anymore after couple of experiences. 

Though to be honest, I also won’t fly Ryan air for the same reasons. 

Edited by Bluespunk

19 hours ago, mlkik said:

The first class passengers were aked if one of them would go and sit in economy and they refused saying that they had paid for first class so would not be moving.

They did exactly as I would if asked to move. The pilot could have sat in economy.

Where did you get that from? Source please. Apparently there may have been business class seats available. So you got the inside running just post a link

46 minutes ago, new2here said:

It sounds like these folks were classified as NRPS or non-revenue positive space. That means they are traveling with confirmed booking and are guaranteed a seat... just like a paying or revenue passenger.

the next element that must be addressed is what is TGs specific policy - and each airline may set their own - on NRPS passengers.

Some carriers have what’s known as MUST-RIDE NRPS bookings.. this means that IF the flight is oversold and the carrier has to deny boarding- known as involuntary denied boarding or IDB (after asking for volunteers), they can NOT choose to IDB the “must ride” — s/he must travel on that flight.

The next element that has to be addressed is class of travel.  This is where both carrier policy AND collective bargaining agreement (CBA) language come into play.

it IS possible that the two people in the story were traveling under CBA language that provides for and requires TG to provide first class travel (usally defined as the highest class of travel on any given aircraft model given that some aircraft are 2-cabin only) or any given class of seat.

IF that was the case, then TG would be correct to IDG (involuntary downgrade) a number of revenue passengers out of F down into C/J cabin *with proper IDG fare adjustment* being refunded.

The part that to me sounds odd is that normally all this is taken care of well in advance of boarding or departure.  Normally anyone traveling NRPS is booked in advance and local staff would know: a) they have folks traveling NRPS, b) they are “must rides” and c) their booking is one that can’t be IDGed 

So if this would have created an overbooking scenario in the F cabin, local staff would have sorted that out before check-in, decided who was going to be IDGed, altered the booking of the downgraded pax and cut whatever compensation due.

i would be very surprised if this took place airside or at time of boarding or departure.

I do agree that it was wise not to depart until the matter was properly sorted.

A TV rarity! A reasonable, well written response by someone who may actually have some clue about that which they are speaking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

me wondering what happens on airplanes that has -god forbid- no first, or even business class seats on their configuration.

can a "deadhead" just seat in a normal seat like everyone else?

if the answer is he can, that begs the question, why the most paying passangers they dare to bother to give up a seat on first class?

kind a wonder if the "deadhead" was a codeword this case for a "big head", some sort of thai wannabe VIP, like to get on the plane, but demand the best the same time, up to his "status". it wouldnt be a first.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, blackhorse said:
21 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:
With 1st class full, were the majority RTA travellers? .....apparently, there were Business seats available but of course, that's never going to be good enough for Thai Air pilots.
Be interesting if further details come out.

Of course it wouldn't good enough for any pilot if they need proper sleep.

Well 2 points:

- First class was full therefore there would be continuous activity both crew and passengers walking around, some noise from food carts and from crew talking to passengers etc., so good / total sleep is far from guaranteed.'

- Why did they refuse to use the 'secret' room on the aircraft which is there for cabin crew needing rest and sleep?

Additional point, I would hope that most of Thai's pilots have more intelligence and brain power and common sense than displayed here by these pilots. On a twist of that If they are lacking in intelligence and capabilities to do an adult analysis of this situation then I wonder how they would react / behave in an emergency?

22 hours ago, starky said:

So if the site they are quoting is correct a "deadhead" must fly? Once that question is properly established we can argue where they should have been sat. Then obviously can they not sit in business? But besides all that good on the pilots for sticking by their brothers. There's a lot more that need to be explained here for mine.

The deadhead sometimes has commitments when arriving at destination hence the need for a bit more comfort than economy, all it means one person has interrupted maybe ( depending on position ) the travel plans of many at another location, better to play the game , who knows you just might get a freebie or big discount next time U fly Thai.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tingtong said:

me wondering what happens on airplanes that has -god forbid- no first, or even business class seats on their configuration.

can a "deadhead" just seat in a normal seat like everyone else?

if the answer is he can, that begs the question, why the most paying passangers they dare to bother to give up a seat on first class?

kind a wonder if the "deadhead" was a codeword this case for a "big head", some sort of thai wannabe VIP, like to get on the plane, but demand the best the same time, up to his "status". it wouldnt be a first.

or 'braindead', or 'adult common sense dead'.

1 minute ago, chainarong said:

The deadhead sometimes has commitments when arriving at destination hence the need for a bit more comfort than economy, all it means one person has interrupted maybe ( depending on position ) the travel plans of many at another location, better to play the game , who knows you just might get a freebie or big discount next time U fly Thai.

On the other hand if I had paid for 2 first class tickets (total cost beyond belief, hundreds of thousands of Baht), I would be absolutely expecting that I'm not going to be asked to bump down, except for a serious medical emergency, but not for airline regular operational needs.

• Like 1