Heading back home after 5 years

Hal65

Regarding the OP and as mentioned by other contributors, unless it's climate controlled storage, the stuff will deteriorate. On our last rental, we had the landlord's ugly minimal furniture stored while we moved in our much less ugly, minimal furnishings. It as all wrapped up in clear plastic wrap by the storage people before going in the ventilated storage unit. When we moved out after 2 and a bit years, the landlord's stuff looked and smelled really manky. In order not to imperil the refund of deposit, we had the added chore of doing a fair bit of refurbishment to the stuff we never used and paid storage fees on. The OP should note that metals oxidize, chromes tarnish, rubber and plastics especially can degrade to being unusable.

Someone mentioned U-store-it outside Pattaya earlier and that's who we used; great service and reasonable charges. He did have some climate-controlled units where a customer bought and paid for the air conditioning so I assume the customer also paid for the metered electrical use. All I can say that must have been some quality wine that was being stored in there! Maybe check if that customer had drunk/sold all the wine and moved on and the facility inherited the air con?

If I was planning being away for a year or less, I could see myself storing some stuff but beyond that and anything up to three years, the costs of storing something that will look ultimately look and smell like crap isn't worth it. Yes, the only way the stuff will sell is at rock-bottom, give-away prices but it's a buyers market in that regard.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

What's to ponder? As anyone vaguely familiar with HR knows, you always hire the one with the biggest t!ts.

That don't work -- if they didn't have big t*ts I wouldn't have hired them. Besides I rather just think I'll stay here and keep them all.

Edited by JLCrab

On 10/20/2018 at 3:40 AM, GinBoy2 said:

I’m not sure on the storage costs, but I’d be thinking sell everything off and re-purchase when you come back. 

Depends I guess on how definite your plans are.

But as you stated a ‘few' years, and a lot can change in a couple of years, so I personally would err on the sell up everything for now, save on the storage stuff and re-start when you return.

The other option of course is to ship everything home. You might want to do the math on storage for several years versus a freight shipment via sea.

I’m assuming you are are a US citizen, so everything is imported into the US tax free as your personal property

Storage here is much cheaper than shipping.  I stored 5 cubic meters for about $15 per month.  I used Siam Move Mgmt - I think CM Removals quoted a similar amount for storage.