WikiLeaks' Assange sues in Ecuador for better asylum terms - lawyer

rooster59

On 10/20/2018 at 10:05 AM, lanista said:

He's Australian so why has Canberra stayed right out of this saga since the get go?

They seem to have  played no role at all .He cant have had his citizenship revoked.

Sounds like he might be going stir crazy being cooped up 24/7 for 6 years. May as well be in prison.

My youngest brother was at Melbourne uni with this guy.  Small world.

Maybe the Aust gov can send him back to OZ ?

Would be a great TV breaking news event watching the  motorcade cruise through the streets of London out to Heathrow QANTAS terminal 3.

Perhaps the Australian Government want bugger all to do with him?

An unfortunate turn of phrase, on reflection, given that is what (allegedly) got him into this, umh, buggers muddle, in the first place!

7 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

Yes, and see what happens to them... Skripals and Hongwei come to mind. There have been many more...

US government advertises itself as the defender of freedom, democracy and human rights worldwide, yet is de facto biggest international bully and biggest arms supplier to the shoddy governments.

Its bullying and warmongering spans the entire globe, from Central America, Middle east to the South and South East Asia. So if that self declared protector of the week commits major fups against its own people and others, it should be brought into the light.

China and Russia act mostly within their their borders and immediate vicinity, and have never declared themselves defenders of anything, certainly not freedom and democracy.

And how is it that as soon a major exposure comes along, the whistle blowers are accused of being Russian agents, or associates, hence my reference to 50 cent bloggers.

Of course, this does not apply to US citizens, like John the Taliban, Manning and Ellsberg.

Let's just agree to disagree, and leave it at that.

My personal take on the OP is that Julian is rapidly running out of goodwill and losing his grip. So I could say that the US will eventually get what they want.

Skripal was a spy, and from Russia's point of view, a traitor. As far as I'm aware, Hongwei wasn't much of dissident or in opposition to his country's regime. Neither were quite what Assange and Wikileaks claim to be and what you and others try to paint them as. This would be third post now you're trying to conflate between the two, not buying. Being a whistle-blower, never mind a professional one is something fraught with risks. Nothing new there.

You start off with addressing the dangers of being a Chinese or Russian dissident - supposedly as an explanation regarding why there aren't as many or why Wikileaks doesn't do that much. Then you go on to assert that the US is actually the worst of the lot. If that was so, how come there are so many active "whistle blowers" going on about US issues? How come Assange, Manning, and Snowden (just to name a few well-known ones) are still around?

You want to rant about the US being "bad", go right ahead. No need for that waffle about "language barrier" and such.

China and Russia are busy suppressing their own people at home (which you seem not too concerned about), but both been "active" internationally as well - unless one insists on ignoring things. Not on the scale of involvement exhibited by the US, but that's more to do with resources (and not being busy suppressing its own people back home).

• Like 1

On 10/20/2018 at 7:32 PM, stevenl said:

Wikileaks is Assange, and Assange only cares about Assange.

A pity you don't see that the election leaks were done with one purpose only: enhance Assange's case.

Despite the leaks, which worked, he didn't get the results he was looking for.

You somehow missed the point that wikileaks revealed a few horrifying emails and videos about what had happened during the 'war'?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/20/2018 at 5:34 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

Those of us who think about it understand that secrecy has its place in private life, in government, in military and law enforcement and in international relationships.

Where there is a need to examine 'secrets' the means to do so need to be controlled within the law, not by agents of foreign governments. 

If you disagree feel free to post all your computer and bank passwords for all to see. 

Actually, those of us "who think about it" - would prefer our govts. were held to account when things go seriously wrong....

• Haha 2

On 10/20/2018 at 5:29 PM, dick dasterdly said:

We all have a different opinion as to whether revealing the truth is a good thing - or, as per your opinion, extremely bad....

Not sure why Morch finds this comment (and going through the thread - all of my other posts )funny.  Presumably 'cos he always prefers the truth to be hidden from the population.

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Not sure why Morch finds this comment funny.  Presumably 'cos he always prefers the truth to be hidden from the population.

More likely he finds your nonsense posts amusing. As for the "always" bit - not-presumably, you're making things up in lieu of an actual argument. But do whine about making things personal...by all means.

Edited by Morch
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2018 at 4:44 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

A number of crimes that include at least the following:

• Theft of state secretes (+ conspiracy to steel state secrets)
  • Distribution of state secrets (+ conspiracy to distribute state secrets)
  • Hacking government and private information systems (+ conspiracy to hack government and private information systems)
  • Distribution of stolen private emails (+ conspiracy to distribute stolen private emails)
  • Conspiracy to defraud the US electoral systems
  • Aiding and abetting defrauding the US electoral systems.
  • Aiding and abetting an enemy
  • Commissioning crimes of theft, hacking and espionage
  • etc etc 

You may of course believe that nations and individuals have no right to secrecy, indeed Assange may believe that to be the case. 

However US law does not agree with that point of view.

Assange will end his days in a US Federal prison.

The FBI are preparing to move against his chum Roger Stone, a man with a history of turning state witness to save his own skin. 

Assange should start looking for a foster home for his  cat. 

If only the US had made this v. clear from the beginning - it would have been made v. clear as to why Assange was a political target.....

• Haha 1

On 10/21/2018 at 1:33 AM, blankagain said:

Ecuador has had enough of him so push has come to shove.

It's common knowledge they were concerned he was taking over the embassy, using the staff as his personal assistants, unwelcome guests. Their biggest gripe was his personal hygiene. Now his benefits have been slowly cut. Where's Amal Clooney- she's also done.

Funniest comment on the thread!

blankastein doesn't have the faintest clue that it all revolves around politics, and genuinely believes it's due to other factors  ????.

19 hours ago, JAG said:

Well no, the UK has refused to give him diplomatic immunity. If / when he leaves the Ecuador Embassy he will be arrested for jumping bail.

I do hope that when that happens proper arrangements will be made to care for the cat...

I expected better from you.

You support govts. against whistle blowers?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

If only the US had made this v. clear from the beginning - it would have been made v. clear as to why Assange was a political target.....

Assange is not a 'political target', he's a target of legitimate investigation into his criminal behaviour. 

Just like he's not a 'prisoner' he's a fugitive from justice who has chosen of his own free will to lock himself (and his cat) in a broom cupboard*

It's his cat I feel sorry for.

-----

* Literalists shouldn't get too wound up over the fact Assange isn't actually in a cupboard that has been designated for keeping brooms. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'm still at a loss (only joking ????) as to why you and other prefer that the truth should be with-held from the population ????!

Like you are having problems understanding why its threat to the lawful conduct of an election, for an agent of a foreign power to hack the private emails of a presidential candidate, to pass those emails to an organisation working for that foreign government and for that organisation to publish the emails in an attack on the election and candidate that is coordinated with the foreign government.  

Are you really struggling to understand what a threat to democracy such actions are?

Oh and guess which foreign government ?!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, nausea said:

Makes you wonder what he's got on the Ecuador government; they can just kick him out, surely. Be careful, Mr.Assange, be very careful, the Saudis have shown the way.

The previous Ecuadorian president was using 'thumbing his nose at the US' as a means to rally support amongst his voter base. Inviting Assange into the Embassy was one such 'thumbing'.

Ironically, Assange who claims to fight for freedom of information, openness and transparency put these issues aside when he scurried into the Ecuadorian embassy at a time when the sitting Ecuadorian president was cementing his record of suppressing journalism, opposition and dissident voices. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Ironically, Assange who claims to fight for freedom of information, openness and transparency put these issues aside when he scurried into the Ecuadorian embassy at a time when the sitting Ecuadorian president was cementing his record of suppressing journalism, opposition and dissident voices. 

As did Snowden to Russia.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, JAG said:

He would only piss the lawyer off!

You're quite possibly right, but what on earth has this to do with him revealing the truth on appalling 'incidents'  ☹️  on which various govts. tried v. hard to hide the truth....

Needless to say, the govts. are trying v. hard to portray him as a russian agitator ????.

I don't know about the rest of you, but personally (if I was brave enough/had the energy/was extremely 'computer savvy') to pursue a cause - I've no doubt that the govt. would be 'after me'  -  as has happened to Assange.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

You're quite possibly right, but what on earth has this to do with him revealing the truth on appalling 'incidents'  ☹️  on which various govts. tried v. hard to hide the truth....

Needless to say, the govts. are trying v. hard to portray him as a russian agitator ????.

I don't know about the rest of you, but personally (if I was brave enough/had the energy/was extremely 'computer savvy') to pursue a cause - I've no doubt that the govt. would be 'after me'  -  as has happened to Assange.

"I don't know about the rest of you, but personally (if I was brave enough/had the energy/was extremely 'computer savvy') to pursue a cause - I've no doubt that the govt. would be 'after me'  -  as has happened to Assange."

Thank you for demonstrating a point I have often made, that Assange (and incidentally Trump) appeal to people as a  surrogate actor in place of their own impotence. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

You somehow missed the point that wikileaks revealed a few horrifying emails and videos about what had happened during the 'war'?

And I'm still wondering why Chomper Higgot and Morch found this (and all my other) posts  funny?

They presumably thought the evidence provided by wikileaks of the atrocities carried out - were just very funny?

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

And I'm still wondering why Chomper Higgot and Morch found this (and all my other) posts  funny?

They presumably thought the evidence provided by wikileaks of the atrocities carried out - was just very funny?

Oh now look what you just did (and you took time to think about it as evidence by your edit).

Away with you and your disgraceful effort to accuse other of finding 'atrocities' 'very funny'.

18 minutes ago, nausea said:

Makes you wonder what he's got on the Ecuador government; they can just kick him out, surely. Be careful, Mr.Assange, be very careful, the Saudis have shown the way.

I suspect that few of us think that Assange is a 'nice' guy in the general term.  Few, who are passionate about anything, are 'nice'.

• Confused 1

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

Oh now look what you just did (and you took time to think about it as evidence by your edit).

Away with you and your disgraceful effort to accuse other of finding 'atrocities' 'very funny'.

You misunderstand yet again.

You have no idea as to why I support whistle blowers - in the same way as I don't understand why you (and others) hate them.

Please forgive the slow edit, I'm a bit pissed.  Whereas presumably you and your crew are entirely sober - but still unable to come up with a coherent answer....

Edited by dick dasterdly

2 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

You misunderstand yet again.

You have no idea as to why I support whistle blowers - in the same way as I don't understand why you hate them.

There you go again, accusing me of hating whistle blowers. 

Assange is not a whistle blower, he's an agent of the Russian government and a fugitive from legitimate justice. 

Feel free to counter that accusation evidence of the many occasions he's spilled Russia's dirty secrets. 

52 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I expected better from you.

You support govts. against whistle blowers?

No, not particularly. However, although retired from the military for some years, I still have many friends (all now retired as well) with whom I keep in touch from that professional background.

It is a realistic, entirely probable and widely held view in these circles that a number of people quite probably met a gruesome end in various cellars across the Middle East and South Asia as a result of Assange's grandstanding. I therefore really cannot find any pity for him. 

His current predicament, and the spat with his now unwilling hosts, does rather fit with his tendency to grandstanding.

Ironically, it is very unlikely that the UK would have extradited him to the USA ( they weren't asked) and I  would suggest that it is even more unlikely that Sweden would.

Assange's ego stroking got him into this mess.

I'm sorry if I disappoint you. Whilst we appear to agree on many things, obviously not on this. Those are my views. Sorry.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

There you go again, accusing me of hating whistle blowers. 

Assange is not a whistle blower, he's an agent of the Russian government and a fugitive from legitimate justice. 

Feel free to counter that accusation evidence of the many occasions he's spilled Russia's dirty secrets. 

And the sheeple will inherit the planet.... What "legitimate justice"? Ain't it just great with all those conspiracy theories....

????????????????

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

Again,  I have no idea why morch finds this post funny...

Again, I've no idea how you fail to grasp how amusingly ridiculous your posts are. All that persistent self-righteous posturing, plus repeated attempts to cast other posters' views according to some contrived good vs. bad framework (whether they actually even posted something relating to your imaginary take) usually doesn't merit more than a laugh.

You wish to believe Assange & Co. as blameless, righteous, pro-truth gang - go for it. Facts aren't an issue for true believers.

27 minutes ago, JAG said:

No, not particularly. However, although retired from the military for some years, I still have many friends (all now retired as well) with whom I keep in touch from that professional background.

It is a realistic, entirely probable and widely held view in these circles that a number of people quite probably met a gruesome end in various cellars across the Middle East and South Asia as a result of Assange's grandstanding. I therefore really cannot find any pity for him. 

His current predicament, and the spat with his now unwilling hosts, does rather fit with his tendency to grandstanding.

Ironically, it is very unlikely that the UK would have extradited him to the USA ( they weren't asked) and I  would suggest that it is even more unlikely that Sweden would.

Assange's ego stroking got him into this mess.

I'm sorry if I disappoint you. Whilst we appear to agree on many things, obviously not on this. Those are my views. Sorry.

I think you are all wrong.... Don't shoot the messenger, blame Manning.... Who, btw, got a presidential pardon for his service..