How get and secure a bank account in Thailand.

39 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
51 minutes ago, Shocked farang said:
With the advent of the card with the embedded chip, it has become almost impossible to perform any fraud with a debit or credit card. I have some friends who work in this area of card and banking security for a global company called First Data. That's what the experts say now. 

But someone could watch you enter your pin and steal your card

Someone could kidnap you and beat the pin number out of you too.  But that's nonsense to mention in a thread about how to open a secure bank account in Thailand.

9 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Why would you skip putting a limit on withdrawals and not put your ATM card in a safe place?

As you said for that specific account:

never use that account to purchase anything, only use it to hold money.

If you don't use this account for spending, why would you need to have an ATM card in the first place?

1 minute ago, Vacuum said:

As you said for that specific account:

If you don't use this account for spending, why would you need to have an ATM card in the first place?

To deposit cash or withdraw cash if no teller available.  Limit on withdrawals in case of theft (inside job).

Always have ATM you never know when you will need money if the bank is closed.

7 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Who told you that and where and when?

In my case, it has been like that since at least 2004 when I opened my first bank account in Pattaya. Every time I opened a new one (at a different bank) after that I also had to get a Residency Certificate. In fact, the first time I opened a second account at the same bank they wanted a new Residency Certificate as well but I think that may have been a screw-up on the part of the staff (thinking that anytime a foreigner opened an account they had to have a Certificate, even if they already had accounts at the same bank).

When my dad opened an account in 2008, he also had to get a Residency certificate.

Which makes sense.
Banks want an actual, verified address that they can send mail to. Not "I'll be in room 306 at the Khee Niow Hotel and massage parlour for the next week" or "some a room at Cheap Charlies for the next few days" or "just send my mail to Balloon Chasers bar 'cause they all know me there".

But of course, people want us to believe that "back home" they open hundreds of accounts at dozens of banks and none of them ever ask for an address, and they all accept hotel rooms as addresses. 

The Residency Certificate form used to have 4 boxes on it. One for Opening a Bank Account, one for Driver's License, one for Buying a Motorcycle and one for Buying a car. Haven't had to do one in a couple of years so I'm not sure if it's still the same though.

And as for the Internet banking - I was specifically told that I could only get it (at Bangkok Bank at least) if I had a "long term" Visa (i.e. a Non-O Retirement or Marriage visa/Extension). Didn't matter how much I had sitting in their bank or how long I'd been a customer, if I didn't have the "year long Visa" I couldn't get internet banking.

6 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

In my case, it has been like that since at least 2004 when I opened my first bank account in Pattaya. Every time I opened a new one (at a different bank) after that I also had to get a Residency Certificate. In fact, the first time I opened a second account at the same bank they wanted a new Residency Certificate as well but I think that may have been a screw-up on the part of the staff (thinking that anytime a foreigner opened an account they had to have a Certificate, even if they already had accounts at the same bank).

When my dad opened an account in 2008, he also had to get a Residency certificate.

Which makes sense.
Banks want an actual, verified address that they can send mail to. Not "I'll be in room 306 at the Khee Niow Hotel and massage parlour for the next week" or "some a room at Cheap Charlies for the next few days" or "just send my mail to Balloon Chasers bar 'cause they all know me there".

But of course, people want us to believe that "back home" they open hundreds of accounts at dozens of banks and none of them ever ask for an address, and they all accept hotel rooms as addresses. 

The Residency Certificate form used to have 4 boxes on it. One for Opening a Bank Account, one for Driver's License, one for Buying a Motorcycle and one for Buying a car. Haven't had to do one in a couple of years so I'm not sure if it's still the same though.

And as for the Internet banking - I was specifically told that I could only get it (at Bangkok Bank at least) if I had a "long term" Visa (i.e. a Non-O Retirement or Marriage visa/Extension). Didn't matter how much I had sitting in their bank or how long I'd been a customer, if I didn't have the "year long Visa" I couldn't get internet banking.

I got accounts at Kbank and SCB and Bangkok bank with no residence certificate.  I didn't know banks mailed things here.  I've never gotten anything from them (maybe a couple of notes in 20 years). I have internet banking and a retirement visa.  My advice remains the same; take a well known Thai person with you and use the main bank.  If you need a residence certificate you can get one later. 

Edited by marcusarelus

18 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

To deposit cash or withdraw cash if no teller available.  Limit on withdrawals in case of theft (inside job).

Always have ATM you never know when you will need money if the bank is closed.

But you said that account wouldn't be used for withdrawal, hence the reason you recommended another account for that.

• Thanks 1

My main bank account,i dont have it connected to any ATM

card,or other electronic transfers,NOTHING,and i check on

it regularly,you have to,someone in the bank see's what they

think is a dormant account,could be tempting for them,AND

it has happened more than once,there are thieves on the inside

and outside of banks.

regards worgeordie

3 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

My main bank account,i dont have it connected to any ATM

card,or other electronic transfers,NOTHING,and i check on

it regularly,you have to,someone in the bank see's what they

think is a dormant account,could be tempting for them,AND

it has happened more than once,there are thieves on the inside

and outside of banks.

regards worgeordie

I'd rather have instant access 24/7 and notifications.

SCB-EASY-Version-3.0.jpg

1 hour ago, lkv said:

I got a technical question.

Do these Kbank POS machines i see in supermarkets generate QR codes on their display for Promptpay or....?

Can i use Promptpay in 7-11? Not Truewallet, Promptpay.

My understanding is there is a fixed QR code at checkout etc, scan that (who /acc etc) and enter the amount into the phone app and pay.

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

I'd rather have instant access 24/7 and notifications.

SCB-EASY-Version-3.0.jpg

I don't need to,and anyway would not want any electronic connections

to the account,my other accounts that's OK,just been paranoid ?,better

to be, than trying to get any money back,that's vanished from your account.

the first people they blame is you,then the wife ,girlfriend, the banks dont

easily take responsibility,if the do,you could have a long wait getting YOUR

money reimbursed. 

regards worgeordie

4 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I don't need to,and anyway would not want any electronic connections

to the account,my other accounts that's OK,just been paranoid ?,better

to be, than trying to get any money back,that's vanished from your account.

the first people they blame is you,then the wife ,girlfriend, the banks dont

easily take responsibility,if the do,you could have a long wait getting YOUR

money reimbursed. 

regards worgeordie

1.  Limit daily withdrawal amount.  2.  Keep your password to yourself.

If money vanishes from my account I am informed within seconds.  You aren't. 

20 hours ago, lkv said:

I'm actually quite comfortable "taking the risk" of using the debit card for various shopping.

In my opinion, the risk of fraud at merchants is very very low.

In reference to ATM risk (skimming etc), cardless ATM withdrawal is now available.

And internet shopping is secured by OTP.

What is cardless ATM withdrawl please and how does it work and with which bank ? Thank you.

13 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Its on the Kbank app. Scan q code at atm.(not tried yet????)

I have tried it (Kbank).

K plus app - withdrawal - select amount - scan qr code from atm into app, confirm on app and confirm on ATM and the money comes out ????

Edited by lkv
  • Thanks 1

Its on the Kbank app. Scan q code at atm.(not tried yet[emoji16])

Jury is out whether its better than a card, just different really. I think i may just go back to card and QR code as backup if i ever lose the card.

A thief could steal your phone and pin in a similar way to a card, so I'm not sure its safer

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Jury is out whether its better than a card, just different really. I think i may just go back to card and QR code as backup if i ever lose the card.

A thief could steal your phone and pin in a similar way to a card, so I'm not sure its safer

Mobile iris scan. Most people don't write pin numbers on opening page. Have someone who owns a mobile phone explain security to you.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:
3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:
The last 20 years I have found it very easy to meet the mayor of boss of anyplace I have lived from CM to Pattaya and South.  They like to meet Farang. 

I'm not sure the mayor of Pattaya will come with me, what do you think?

11 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
34 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:
Mobile iris scan. Most people don't write pin numbers on opening page. Have someone who owns a mobile phone explain security to you.

Pin on the app you plonker. Most phones don't have "mobile iris scan" what planet are you on?

You need a finger print or iris or pin to open the phone and another to open the app. Stealing the phone would do you no good. 

All the posts above appear to be pointing the finger at Thailand bank fraud.

Let me tell you the amount of skimming & fraud through credit & debit cards is much higher 

in Europe & Australia (The banks just keep it quieter)

I have used 3 ATM cards, 2 credit cards here for over 25 years & the only time someone

tried to use was a  credit card,  KTC picked it up , rang me , I was overseas in Indonesia, the fraud was in the US.  Problem was solved by A THAI BANK before it became a problem