Social networkers divided over order to end 'noisy' evening aerobic sessions

webfact

Social networkers divided over order to end 'noisy' evening aerobic sessions

By The Nation

aero.jpg

FILE photo

Thai Facebook users are split over an order from the Ratchathewi district office to end “noisy” aerobic dance sessions in a small public park near the Victory Monument following a complaint from a doctor.

An aerobic dance trainer revealed the order to seek public support for an appeal against the order but several Facebook users supported the order out of sympathy for the doctor while others supported the aerobic dancers.

According to a Facebook post of traine, Ampantita Didtako, the director of the Ratchathewi district office, Thirayut Phumisak, issued an order on October 12, telling the group to stop using the Santiparp Park for aerobic dance sessions from November 1.

The group was told to use a sports ground in the Ratchathewi Pirom Park under the Din Daeng elevated expressway on Soi Mor Leng in Makkasan subdistrict district instead.

According the copy of the order posted on Ampantika's Facebook wall, the district chief said the Health Department of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration had measured the noise level of the public address system during the activity and found it to be 11.20 decibels, which is higher than permitted.

The district chief said the Health Department had offered advice to the organisers on implementing the workout but as the noise level could not be reduced, the sessions had to be relocated.

In her post, Ampantika said the exercise activity has been held at the park for decades and drew some 300 to 400 regular participants.

She said the doctor who complained had moved into a nearby condo less than a year ago.

Ampantika wondered whether it was fair to end a workout enjoyed by hundreds of people just for one person, noting that the aerobics session was held from 6 pm to 7 pm, a time when most people were not sleeping.

The post has drawn over 80 comments, some expressing sympathy for the aerobic dancers and others for the doctor.

Some wondered whether the doctor was being selfish as the aerobic session had been taking place for more than 30 years.

One Facebook user said the loudspeakers were too loud and that the level of noise was illegal.

Others said the doctor needed to sleep at that time because he worked shifts and needed proper rest to be able to take care of patients.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30356921

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-22

I am not there so I don't know the volume of the music that accompany the dance. In most Asian countries except Japan and Korea I think most Asians are quite deaf. So they don't understand why you Farangs are complaining about noise.

It is ironic in a Buddhist country you cannot find peace of mind because someone somewhere will fork king play their music very loud.

Well I come to the conclusion that people who behave like that are half wit , low education, don't know what music is all about.

My sympathy is all for the doctor.

Buddhists in Thailand surely don't behave like buddhists in a buddhist country if I may say so.

36 minutes ago, keith101 said:

All the Doc has to do is install triple glazing and will never hear anything ever again .

I would say all he has to do is stop moaning about something that has been going on there for years and years already, many years before he moved in, is only happening for 1 hour a day at a very unintrusive time.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

the Health Department of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration had measured the noise level of the public address system during the activity and found it to be 11.20 decibels, which is higher than permitted.

So why not just tell them to go below the permitted limit, which is maybe 90 decibel or something, and let them continue?

Just check it regularly and the people living around the park should have done their local research better before buying their apartment.

We know about the incapabilty of Thais to complain - even if there is enough reason to do so.

He was the one who complained - but do we know how many have been suffering quitely from the noise? I consider this moral courage.

Loud noise, even if only one hour before 7 p.m. EVERY DAY is an attack on the right of freedom from disturbance. If you are not interested - you can't avoid it.

Fair enough that the aerobic fans got an alternative location where they can continue their activity, which is quite useful  suppose

Same as the daily blaring of everywhere present loudspeakes in the village when the pujai baan thinks he has to be a surrogate for written information

6 hours ago, webfact said:

ccording the copy of the order posted on Ampantika's Facebook wall, the district chief said the Health Department of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration had measured the noise level of the public address system during the activity and found it to be 11.20 decibels, which is higher than permitted.

Well, hear's the answer from Captain Obvious: "Turn it down to within the limits of the permitted noise range."  <that was difficult, 'eh?>

Both sides of the argument need to give a little.  It's called compromise. 

Thailand needs to turn the volume down, especially the bass!

We were once staying at a very quiet resort on Koh Chang.  A small group from a Chiang Mai university turned up for a seminar.  Took over the restaurant area in the day & set up a PA system just so the speaker could talk to people around the same table!

1 hour ago, unamazedloso said:

They could wear headphones and make use of wifi and Bluetooth systems so they can hear the insteuctor and the music and no one else can. There is silent clubs that do this.

I wonder how many find it difficult to go without their precious mobile phones for an hour.

Actually, I doubt if they use headphones. I notice more and more people in restaurants, on BTS and other public places using the speakers on their phones for video calls and to watch videos.

11 hours ago, stevenl said:

I would say all he has to do is stop moaning about something that has been going on there for years and years already, many years before he moved in, is only happening for 1 hour a day at a very unintrusive time.

He should check out the cute girls, if there are any and invite them for a free check up after the sessions.

Location... location... location...

On 10/22/2018 at 11:47 AM, stevenl said:

So you saying that Thai people can't complain about noise because it has going on for years so what about this 

insane noisy motorbikes that has going on for years too and get more and more noisy because almost every young man needs this kind of bike and Same with their cars playing laugh music on streets and beaches 

The doctor is right noise level make people deaf and stressed 

Archived