Almost 11,000 killed on Thai roads so far this year

webfact

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Boombum said:

The Hours that these “drivers” work must also be a factor... driving Sleepy is FAR worse than driving whilst “Drunk” ... the Crash Helmet rules are a JOKE .. 400bt fine ( Falang Only) or a cheap Plastic hat Brand New from a Shop at 250bt... <deleted> 

I would be interested in a Breakdown of stats....

Falang/Thai/ Sex/Ages

Bike/Car/ Commercial

Areas/ Times 

only then could we begin to get a sketchy view of the problems.

Ive lived and bombed about on my PCX for 2 years in Pattaya...Not witnessed ANY Accidents involving injury in all that time... just about 5/6 very minor bike falls. 

I used to be a Travelling Rep in U.K. and would witness a Fatal crash Every week!! 

Hard to avoid the statistics for you then?

5 hours ago, sweatalot said:

I just looked up the number of traffic deaths in Germany 2017 - it was 3177 the whole year. Same number of population

You don't look enough, Germany has 20 millions more people.

And this is clearly a lie, the real figure must be doubled at least, in Thailand it is close to 30000 death yearly.

1 hour ago, dallen52 said:

84 a day including the ones who die later.

I see somewhere. 

Nothing to be proud of is it?

The world's #1 place to holiday, and possibly die.

Yes-there is some serious fiddling of the figures being done.Perhaps "We are Numbah One!" is not quite as palatable as it used to be..

It was 80 deaths a day back in 2015-according to Asian Correspondent and there were no howls of protest from the Thai gov't when this was published..

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2015/03/thailand-road-deaths/#DgM1rh7whGvz5RZx.97

The mini vans & big trucks are out of control with little or no policing.

Drove back from Tak yesterday first 140 km on a great stretch of road & I was overtaking many

cars. Then it started to rain so I slowed down by about 20kph to around 110 kph  as visibility not good & even though I have very good tyres careful not to aquaplane on some very wet badly cambered corners,

Surprise, surprise  the mini vans, pickups & trucks all shot past me as though I was standing still

I rest my case

7 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

If you want safer roads, you need police to patrol, deter bad drivers and enforce existing laws fairly.

Unfortunately, the police do not do that; until they do, nothing will change.

11,000? Is that all? I would have guessed higher.

Thousand and thousands more needless deaths are coming; stop being surprised.

The actual numbers are around 80 dead per day. 300 x 80 = 24000 dead this far.

And around 1 million injured every year.

Lots and lots of Thai blood on the traffic police's hands. How they live with themselves is beyond baffling.

43 minutes ago, wvavin said:

In my opinion, this fiasco is caused by the mentality of the people. Nothing else.

Yes. But the traffic police has the power to change it but they refuse to do their job correctly. In my opinion they have blood on their hands. And whoever oversees the traffic police all the way to the top. Blood on their hands. Bathing in it.

6 hours ago, sweatalot said:

I just looked up the number of traffic deaths in Germany 2017 - it was 3177 the whole year. Same number of population

Germany has more than 80 million people living there. That is about 20 million more than in Thailand. And the number of cars and trucks is higher.

7 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

If you want safer roads, you need police to patrol, deter bad drivers and enforce existing laws fairly.

According to the WHO, there are still more than 10% unreported cases, where the relatives of victims are being compensated, cases which are settled without or with minor the interference of the police (envelopes). Contrary to statistics of other countries, in which casualties, due to the injuries suffered, which happen on the way to the hospital or in the hospital up to 30 days after the accident, these numbers do not enter the Thai statistics. Therefore the number of casualties could be plus  30% or more.

2 minutes ago, fxe1200 said:

According to the WHO, there are still more than 10% unreported cases, where the relatives of victims are being compensated, cases which are settled without or with minor the interference of the police (envelopes). Contrary to statistics of other countries, in which casualties, due to the injuries suffered, which happen on the way to the hospital or in the hospital up to 30 days after the accident, these numbers do not enter the Thai statistics. Therefore the number of casualties could be plus  30% or more.

It's more, around 100% more.

Just now, natway09 said:

Mufti cops actually on the road as in OZ looking for dangerous driving is the only answer.

And when they catch them ensure a proper fine

The problem with your idea is that the "mufti cops" might end up being shot.

Judging by my own family's behaviour I can offer no solution to this problem.My wife buckled up automatically in Australia yet had to be constantly reminded to do so (and the rest of them) in Thailand.The stepson drove around on his scoooter at night without lights..the stepdaughter was knocked off her bike 3 times but drove around without a helmet,chatting on her mobile phone.They had all attended numerous funerals in the villages for vehicular fatalities..they didn't seem to care.

The only seriously frightened Thai driver that I saw had been picked up and thrown in the slammer which caught everyone's attention for about 30 seconds or so..

The Thai population is not policed..it is herded.

8 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

The number quoted here exclude anybody who technically survived and later succumbed in the ambulance or hospital. So you may correctly guess that the number is higher, using other statistics.

In any case, we are at about 38 per day, this is enormous. Truly a number 1 in the world, but nothing to be proud of. 

For the police to do their job, they may need to be trained properly, paid a good wage, nepotism eliminated and attitude in general has to change. Just my opinion. Not sure if this is "Thainess" , though.

Just how many more must DIE, BE DISMEMBERED OR OTHERWISE MAIMED on Thai Roads before SOMEONE Takes Action ?

These DEATH Figures as mentioned in the story, only account for those who Croak at the scene. What about those who die later and what about those who are mutilated?

5 hours ago, lanista said:

Even the Thai spokesman admits the road toll stats are rubbish.  Fake news as usual.

Road toll in Thailand pp is among the worst in the world even China with WW1  death/injury stats is faring better.

And I- if a spokesman for Thailand would be embarrassed. When your country is assigned a label that it is one of the worst countries...traffic -wise, then what is the solution?  Needless deaths for a variety of reasons. The desensitized attitude is astounding to me. Whether Thais' lack of driving skills or simply a lack of reinforcing penalties for driving infractions, somehow this has to stop. Every time I read about needless deaths, I am affected and saddened. However, until there is a distinct approach to curb these unnecessary deaths due to whatever, then I will continue to be saddened by the lack of gov't oversight.

8 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Hmm,..11000 ??? Don't worry, the year ain't over yet,...numbers will be much higher at end's year !

9 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Agreed the number is most likely much higher than reported 

Those that blame this on the police are naive small box thinkers.

It is much more about the engineering of the roadways, education and culture.  None of these is necessarily a police responsibility in most western countries.  

In Pattaya, I see cops writing tickets all the time.  Then people complain they got a ticket.

Cop bashing is an easy smirk of brainless negatively but in truth their influence has little bearing on this problem.

But believe what you want if it makes you feel better.

Drive defensively....

8 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Reading World Bank figures Germany has a population about 15 million more than Thailand so the figures are even worse.

My home country, the UK, has only a few million less than Thailand and the official death toll in 2017 was 1710.

Maybe Thais have a death wish. If they got killed, maybe their next reincarnation is at a better family condition. So xxxx this one and go on to the next ?  If you looked at the death tolls, mostly are those in commercial vehicles, pickups, motorcycles,... rarely do you see those killed in luxury cars. 

6 hours ago, Dorian232 said:

I have spe nt a lot of time over the last 4 months in Issan, very few motorbike riders were helmets, childres as young as 8 ride motrbikes on the roads and in small towns, motorbikes and cars drive on the wrong side of the road, car reverse on to busy main roads from side roads, on the highways cars pickups and vans drive on the righthand side, rear lights are only on newer vehicles and hardly any motorbikes.   Police do NOTHING.except stop vehicles whete the think they can ectort dome money. Double yellow lines in the middle of the road.also actually.means NO PARKING 555.  In parking lots does anybody repect places for mother and baby or deisabled bays 555.  And you wonder why people die on the roads nobody obeys the law not even the police.

That is the third world mentality for you. Everyman for himself. The young motorcycle riders may be due to lack of convenient alternate transportation in the sticks. I have seen young school children around 10/11 without helmets riding home after school in kamphangphet . No school bus in sight and this is halfway between tak and kamphangphet in the sticks. 

Archived