Almost 11,000 killed on Thai roads so far this year

webfact

4 hours ago, gunderhill said:

You'd  be  quicker walking almost anywhere in the UK now, many 20mph  limits, road signs everywhere more signs and paint than road, people driving not more than 45mph on a road where 60 is  allowed, to be honest its painful now. Gone way to far.

Speed cameras which do nothing except  collect revenue. 25mph in a  20 zone =3  points+ £200 fine, 12  points and banned.

Result, a  country stultified with over regulation. 

There's never a "happy medium" on the one hand the UK's over use of regs and Thailand's  "total lack of  regulation and enforcement"

Rules cater for the morons in society and drag everyone down to that level.

Agree with you to a point but have to add that on my annual trip back to UK to visit family one of the enjoyable things is being able to relax when I'm driving.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sadly when it comes to road safety, everyone thinks they are an expert just because they can drive a car.

Until Thailand listens to road safety scientists and redesigns their entire road transport environment the high number of deaths will continue.

They need to implement a fully comprehensive road safety policy and not continue on half-baked, knee jerk solutions.

2 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Agree with you to a point but have to add that on my annual trip back to UK to visit family one of the enjoyable things is being able to relax when I'm driving.

Agreed, except its almost to the point of comatose, the best things is knowing there will be no dog  running out or foot  deep  hole or  just no road at all for no reason for 50 foot and that the white lines are visible which helps a  lot on unlit  roads.

RE - According to Peerapol, 55-year-old van driver and owner Promwat sae Phu will be fined Bt55,000, and slapped with 180-day suspension of his driving licence plus a six-month suspension of his operating licence.

Guessing he shortly will be hired by one of the Taxi Companies who are famous for hiring persons who have been convicted for murder and rape...:shock1:

17 hours ago, webfact said:

A MEDICAL student and a 10-year-old girl are among the latest victims of Thailand’s notorious roads after their cars crashed head-on in Si Sa Ket province yesterday morning.

Seat belts? Child safety seat? Of course not, they mount their children on the front of motorbikes.

9 hours ago, gunderhill said:

You'd  be  quicker walking almost anywhere in the UK now, many 20mph  limits, road signs everywhere more signs and paint than road, people driving not more than 45mph on a road where 60 is  allowed, to be honest its painful now. Gone way to far.

Speed cameras which do nothing except  collect revenue. 25mph in a  20 zone =3  points+ £200 fine, 12  points and banned.

Result, a  country stultified with over regulation. 

There's never a "happy medium" on the one hand the UK's over use of regs and Thailand's  "total lack of  regulation and enforcement"

Rules cater for the morons in society and drag everyone down to that level.

The UK, the US, Australia, NZ, and perhaps Canada are the worst nations on earth, when it comes to rules and regs. They also happen to be the five most emasculated societies on earth. Not sure if there is any connection to be made there. Except, get out if you can!

There has to be a balance. In Thailand the only speeding tickets are issued by cameras. The toy cops need to be involved in the process. They need to be monitoring the highways and pulling people over for reckless driving. Saving lives. Does anyone care?

When I go on a tour with my Thai family in a Toyota Van I see everyone goes

to sleep and gets woke up at the fuel, bathroom stops. Only the passenger beside

the driver stays awake. I believe that most Thais are sleep deprived.

It really does not surprise me to hear of so many accidents and collisions.

Everytime I get back home from a trip to Thailand, I thank my lucky stars

that I am still alive and intact.

Geezer 

7 hours ago, fullcave said:

Seat belts? Child safety seat? Of course not, they mount their children on the front of motorbikes.

It's a better launch position. Never seen a child seat on a motorcycle/bike, not that they would do much good. On bicycles, many.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT....

1. Remove the police from any involement in the collection of fines. Have an independent government fines department. Who can only receive money and chase fines.

2. Police can only issues fines and demerit points or arrest and seize a vehicle.

3. Have a visible and physical presence on the road. (not riding around on a 115cc motorbikes, or standing / sitting at check points watching TV/ or acting/pretending  that they are actually  important and have a necessary presence there beside the road). They also need to be actively patrolling known accident zones, in real patrol cars, so there presence is seen and felt by road users.

4. Confiscate vehicles and have them destroyed for known/repeat offenders. To send a strong and clear message. Shame the person and destroy the car on television. (weekly offenders and there cars can do a Friday night live show of shame and humiliation)

5. Basically probably forgot the current RTP. Go and train a new generation of traffic police with the right attitude and the means to do it. The funds are currently being used to payout families and victims of current horrendous car accidents.

The pay outs by the government for people that are killed or maimed would probably almost fund new police cars..... The parents of the student who died as a result of bus turn over in Khon Kaen will be paid out Baht 650,000

We were driving down the highway last week and there were 8 & 10 wheel trucks along with overloaded pu trucks lined up parked on the side of the road. Hundreds of them so I asked my friend what was going on, he said police checkpoint up ahead they are waiting for it to close. Sure enough, the trucks were lined up until about 20 meters before the checkpoint waiting for it to close. Very clever as the appeared to have outsmarted the police who obviously had no clue as to what all those illegal trucks were doing at the side of the road leading to the checkpoint!  ????  After a few questions like "where you go" and looking in the windows we were on our way. ????

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The UK, the US, Australia, NZ, and perhaps Canada are the worst nations on earth, when it comes to rules and regs. They also happen to be the five most emasculated societies on earth. Not sure if there is any connection to be made there. Except, get out if you can!

At least those citizens can get out of those countries because, despite all their driving, their lives are intact. ????

Emasculated?  Hmmm............ ????

3 hours ago, Wallander4 said:

Not to mention the 5-10,000 that die in the ambulance or hospital after ...

You make a good point here....Thai emergency services are so poor they must contribute considerably to the country's death rate

On 10/23/2018 at 7:22 AM, edwinchester said:

Reading World Bank figures Germany has a population about 15 million more than Thailand so the figures are even worse.

My home country, the UK, has only a few million less than Thailand and the official death toll in 2017 was 1710.

This is why nothing is ever achieved - both TV posters and the Thai authorities take this naive and simplistic approach without any reference to the science behind road safety - the fact that is it far more than just driving means that most "critics" fall flat on their face right from the start.

49 minutes ago, paulikens said:

and it will just get worse & worse as more thais have more money more of em will be on the road.

Again an over simplistic interpretation of what is happening There are who stats that relate to traffic numbers/density and KM travelled per vehicle or per person but if you want to go Thai bashing, it's best to ignore those figures as they show the problem is far more=e complicated than just "bad driving".

Again an over simplistic interpretation of what is happening There are who stats that relate to traffic numbers/density and KM travelled per vehicle or per person but if you want to go Thai bashing, it's best to ignore those figures as they show the problem is far more=e complicated than just "bad driving".

Complicated it ain’t ! And bad driving is the problem !

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

14 hours ago, kwilco said:

Bad driving (along with training and licensing) IS THE ROOT PROBLEM! :post-4641-1156693976:

Sure, there are many engineering and enforcement solutions but they would merely be icing on the cake. If the 'cake' is stale then engineering, enforcement, etc. will only make a small improvement. :thumbsup:

On 10/23/2018 at 4:47 AM, Pattaya28 said:

If this statistic of 11,000 is correct, then the road deaths have halved.

I doubt this.

The road deaths was about 27,000 per annum.

84 a day including the ones who die later.

I see somewhere. 

Nothing to be proud of is it?

The world's #1 place to holiday, and possibly die.

12 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Bad driving (along with training and licensing) IS THE ROOT PROBLEM! :post-4641-1156693976:

Sure, there are many engineering and enforcement solutions but they would merely be icing on the cake. If the 'cake' is stale then engineering, enforcement, etc. will only make a small improvement. :thumbsup:

There is no point arguing with a flat-farther .......

There isn't enough space on Thaivisa to put one straight when they don't even grasp the fundamentals ... So it's best just point out the fallacious premises and let them work it out on their own .....If they can.

Archived