Thailand Tells Black People Don’t Come Here

webfact

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, JAG said:

There is a lot in what you say, and it is a fair approach to the affair. 

However the presence of these people, and their activities, have been allowed, and probably facilitated by the same authorities for several years. That's where the real scandal lies, not in " racial profiling".

whenever I see the words "racial profiling" I am always reminded of the word 'categorizing'.  I have no problem whatsoever with putting all things into their correct category, even the bad things.

6 minutes ago, car720 said:

All of the above is true but surely we must look to motive.  Why are so many people in just about every country afraid of them or dislike them.  We must look at what they have done to cause this distrust also.  Where there is smoke there is fire and where there are people of this ethnicity there are scams.

Blaming the victims of racism for their situation very popular in the first half of the C20. And seemingly some of the old sewage wanting to get an airing here as well.

Agreed, But, No one talks so how do you "get to know each other" Cell phones are here no one needs to Talk, you just "Listen Now"

When is the last time you sat down and had a conservation "in person" with an employee or even a family member?

We use to here in Thailand, company sponsored at a local restaurant, employee recognition, new company goals (15  minutes Max) than socializing and imbibing the rest of the evening, Good Times.

The last time we did this was 2006, why everyone was to "busy" to attend.

Tried again on several occasions but same thing "To Busy" I purposely Did NOT make the attendance mandatory, what good would it do to force cooperation and friend ship!

Prior to 2006 we had a very large work force in Bangkok we needed more workers so we hired many Thai's from "other regions" of Thailand.

Let the integration and segregation begin, yes even the Thai's were predigest, we soon had a segregated work force. Luckily I had a Thai as a Personal Manager he was able to straighten things out after a while, but the divisions still remained. After (up to than) over 16 years I saw a side of Thailand I never knew existed, yes they acted like most other countries do!

So prejudice and segregation is endemic here in Thailand as it is everywhere!

2 hours ago, MisterDM said:

I'm Black-American and I've been to the North, Northeast, South of Thailand and, I have been welcomed happily. So,.....There's that. The Northeast in particular has been VERY welcoming to me and, I appreciate their hospitality 

Maybe we should not say black people but Africans or Nigerians.

2 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I do not think Thais/Asians are inherently bad people (just the opposite), I think they have little experience with black people and thus fear them irrationally. Sadly, it is often how humans react.

The Immigration Police ARE acting rationally based on their experience. The article is a bit misleading in its failure to mention that citizens of certain African countries are being targeted. By checking passports, the cops quickly know where someone is from. Several have pointed out that dark-skinned Americans (for example) have nothing to fear if their immigration status is up to date. Others have pointed out that citizens of the targeted African nations have a history of flouting the law. The cops know that and are acting on it.

Oh please!!! The problem with this story is only the headline. They are not referring to black Americans or any other law abiding black people. They are referring to the Africans who pollute lower Sukhumvit who belong to the drug and scam gangs. So please give it rest about racial profiling. The only problem here is the headline which in no way reflects the actual story under it. The article is a backdoor way of criticizing Donald Trump for his immigration practices and is just using Thailand for an outlet. The quote from the human rights watch guy is absolutely ludicrous. He has never taken a walk down lower suk and been accosted by these guys trying to sell drugs and mug you. 

1 hour ago, ksamuiguy said:

Families don't have dinner together and talk any more like we did.

Off topic,

but these days there are so many more interesting things to do than have dinner with your family.

Back on topic,

Seems the Thai police do have some common sense, my pal (black as you can get from Luton) has no problems with the Thai police or immigration. Brit passport, Brit accent, doesn't hang out in a street filled with drug dealers.

47 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

So instead of saying that black people aren't welcome. why don't the police and army clean up the rabble that sell drugs along Sukhumwit Rd and in Nana area where a lot of them live and trade ??

They would lose a source of income?

19 minutes ago, wmlc said:

Oh please!!! The problem with this story is only the headline. They are not referring to black Americans or any other law abiding black people. They are referring to the Africans who pollute lower Sukhumvit who belong to the drug and scam gangs. So please give it rest about racial profiling. The only problem here is the headline which in no way reflects the actual story under it. The article is a backdoor way of criticizing Donald Trump for his immigration practices and is just using Thailand for an outlet. The quote from the human rights watch guy is absolutely ludicrous. He has never taken a walk down lower suk and been accosted by these guys trying to sell drugs and mug you. 

Spot on.

I'm not in Bangkok too often but every time I'm there the black drug dealers on Sukhumvit are getting more and more visible and seem to be moving further and further up Sukhumvit. 

Even If I was interested in drugs, and stupid enough to buy them from strangers in Thailand, who in their right mind would buy them right on the street off such blatant drug pushers?

It surprises me that they do it so obviously and openly, it can't be difficult to catch them and the people buying from them. 

Most Africans cannot afford to fly to Thailand for holiday. And the ones that can afford it, are families staying in 4-5 star hotels. I hate to do racial profiling, but if it is a single African man standing around Nara, the chances are quite high he is not in Bangkok for the culture.

Archived