Thailand Tells Black People Don’t Come Here

webfact

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

This forum and others have continually expressed complaints about the listed subjects.

Many about their presence on lower Sukhumvit and elsewhere, male and female.

My experience with them has been verbal harassment and attempted drug sales.

So, sounds like the Thai government got tired of it and sent out the troops.

Sooo.... what about the other Africans that live and work here?  There are plenty who don't sell drugs and harass people. 

2 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

It works to promulgate hate.

Hate comes when the most like;y profile to be carrying/selling drugs or carrying weapons are no longer searched. They stopped stop and search in the UK because police were stopping the most likely suspects. As you know, knife crime has rocketed since this beautiful PC anti-hate action was carried out.

I once saw a BBC documentary where the police were trying out new technology checking license plates to see if the car was insured and taxed. Most of the people stopped were "of a certain ethnic origin". They were then accused of racism. 

11 minutes ago, spermwhale said:

Sooo.... what about the other Africans that live and work here?  There are plenty who don't sell drugs and harass people. 

Would these "other Africans" mingle with the drug dealers? I guess not.

If they work i.e. in offices I guess they won't be targeted. But please let me know if I am wrong.

15 minutes ago, cooked said:

Hate comes when the most like;y profile to be carrying/selling drugs or carrying weapons are no longer searched. They stopped stop and search in the UK because police were stopping the most likely suspects. As you know, knife crime has rocketed since this beautiful PC anti-hate action was carried out.

I once saw a BBC documentary where the police were trying out new technology checking license plates to see if the car was insured and taxed. Most of the people stopped were "of a certain ethnic origin". They were then accused of racism. 

Regardless, racial profiling promulgates hate.

6 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

This forum and others have continually expressed complaints about the listed subjects.

Many about their presence on lower Sukhumvit and elsewhere, male and female.

My experience with them has been verbal harassment and attempted drug sales.

So, sounds like the Thai government got tired of it and sent out the troops.

I agree but also believe the brand new Hyatt opening on soi 13 and the new Q condo building near soi 6 have the political clout to require the police to clean up this area. Also the newer upscale Novotel hotel and Ibis Suites on soi 4. For me personally I am happy to see the gang of young black African men and women gone.  Not a racist but a honest realist. They were not tourists and were easily identified by their actions.  

2 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Regardless, racial profiling promulgates hate.

Disagree. Went to South Africa this year and the black African people were very polite, helpful and gracious. The black Africans on soi 13 and other area sois were the opposite. If the black Africans around soi 13 were tourists no one would have a problem with them but they were a gang and a problem to many people. 

bad apple everywhere indeed, have good experience with black bloke when i got flat tires on my way going to Ayuthaya with my fan..a  african bloke  help me sort out the problem. However my last experience with black people doesnt add more good account

these people we're drunk..pee on the wash basin /bathroom sinks...it was Friday night at Khaosan Road

can you imagine how dreadful it was when there's people on the que want to take a pee???? and watch all these awful thing

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand Tells Black People Don’t Come Here

Dear Nigel.  Please source the statement issued by any official of the Thai government that says, "Black people don't come here." 

I've never understood why people are against racial profiling, provided it's done with a reason and fairly. If the suspect is a black male, then it seems obvious that they'd look for black males, except that it would be called racial profiling. Ditto Muslim male, etc., etc., etc. Racial profiling, along with other types of profiling, are common-sense, intrinsic tools of crime prevention and apprehension. People need to grow up.

I'm not discounting the fact that racial profiling is abused. I'm from the USSA. I know better. Breathing while black is a life-threatening offence in the USSA. Nonetheless, it is a very useful and valid tool.

Just now, GalaxyMan said:

I've never understood why people are against racial profiling, provided it's done with a reason and fairly. If the suspect is a black male, then it seems obvious that they'd look for black males, except that it would be called racial profiling.

So when they work out the numbers of overstayers and find that Thailand has a tonne of western male overstayers, you'll be happy to be rounded up and taken to a police station and held until you can prove you are here legally? 

I suspect you're happy with racial profiling when it doesn't impact you

1 hour ago, The Deerhunter said:

I totally agree.  It is nothing to do directly with discrimination.  The headline is mischievous and puts a P.C. slant on the contents of the news item.  Thailand has a huge problem with people who are illegally here and the new boss of immigration is addressing that. 

As the article says, it is called profiling and it is a logical way of identifying possible criminals or suspects.  It is even used by Immigration officials (surprise surprise) in every country (in particularly the body language component) every single day, to notice if the person looks unduly nervous, sweating or agitated etc at the counter. 

Thailand is actually telling people, including us "Farangs" (not to be confused with "Foreigners") to not overstay and/or enter informally.  Note the large percentage of Cambodians & Burmese, caught, who are not (particularly) black, but Thai Immigration knows how many of those are overstaying if not the number (and it is considerable) who arrived by an informal means.  

They have done what any intelligent person would do knowing, how many thousands of overstayers are here right now.  Knowing that and the countries they (mostly) come mostly from, they then look for those people.  So they will be targeting people such as Africans, Middle Easterners, South Asians and Chinese.   How many blond, blue-eyed Swedes have they found?   What percentage of overstayers are North European/Scandinavian, anyway?  

I have already been disciplined by a Mod. for using the common term for this sort of thing so I will just say it is a stupid and pointless article trying to create excitement by reporting events in a selective and mischievous manner. 

Good on them.  In with the good (like me, and I hope "you"; and out with the bad.    Keep, up the good work.  There are many more to find.

They have done what any intelligent person would do

Which reads as, "they have done what I would have done and I fancy myself as intelligent".

The use of profiles as commonly occurring as skin colour have long been demonstrated as being too vague to be useful as they mislead investigators and cost valuable time, as well as of course introducing an existential threat to the investigation as a whole by creating animosity between the public and what they will naturally see as racist policy. 

7 hours ago, webfact said:

This all sounds a lot like President Donald Trump’s immigration agenda, which views immigrants from countries across Africa, Haiti and Latin America (places he referred to as sh**hole countries) as less desirable than those from Norway.

illegal aliens in the usa face arrest and deportation whether they are blue eyed whites from norway or non white from wherever. those with passports from developed countries usually can enter the usa much easier than others, thus you wont see caravans of norwegians crossing the southern usa border illegally.

ps; my university classmate and best buddy was a nigerian guy black as coal.

Just now, SammyT said:

So when they work out the numbers of overstayers and find that Thailand has a tonne of western male overstayers, you'll be happy to be rounded up and taken to a police station and held until you can prove you are here legally? 

I suspect you're happy with racial profiling when it doesn't impact you

I'm not the least bit worried. My personal situation is completely legal and above board. I always have a photocopy of my current visa with me. I have consistently, my whole life, been racially profiled, especially when flying. I am always Mr. Random. I fit every profile in the book, apparently. I have no problem with Thailand finding each and every overstayer and throwing them out. If you're not willing to do the time, don't do the crime. I have zero pity on anyone who knowingly breaks a law, any law, anywhere, and then gets caught and treated accordingly.

There are cycles of harassment of any alien group in Thailand over time.  Blacks are just easier for them to identify.  I understand I can get a fake Myanmar passport in Bangkok.  If things work out, I intend to go underground and hide from Thai authorities and work as a waiter or pump gas and live the good life.

3 minutes ago, Johnnyngai said:

Thais need to learn that political correctness is just as important.

What nonsense. Political correctness is an infringement of freedom of expression. It's censorship in another name. You can put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig.

6 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

I've never understood why people are against racial profiling, provided it's done with a reason and fairly. If the suspect is a black male, then it seems obvious that they'd look for black males, except that it would be called racial profiling. Ditto Muslim male, etc., etc., etc. Racial profiling, along with other types of profiling, are common-sense, intrinsic tools of crime prevention and apprehension. People need to grow up.

I'm not discounting the fact that racial profiling is abused. I'm from the USSA. I know better. Breathing while black is a life-threatening offence in the USSA. Nonetheless, it is a very useful and valid tool.

Searching for a suspect of a known crime based on the known race of the offender is not racial profiling.  Racial profiling is treating people with suspicion based on their race before the crime is known or the race of the offender is known or both.  If the suspect was male but of unknown race then it would not be obvious that they'd look for black males, would it?  No, and that is exactly what they are doing.

Just now, Pii Kate said:

Does this apply to all black people, American's Brits. Canadians?  Or just Asian and African?

Obama? Oprah?  If Trump was not president, there would be a response from the American government considering sanctions for this obvious racist decision.  But since the ultimate racist is running the US government, there won't be a word said.  Sad.

A few years ago they did the same thing on Sukhumvit and it applied to all, tourists and business men accosted by the police, detained if they weren't carrying ID until they could arrange for someone to collect their ID and bring it to the police station, it is what they say it is, profiling based on skin colour, so how could it not apply to all people of that skin colour?

6 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

...based on their race before the crime is known...

I'm sorry, but I take exception to your definition. I took the trouble to look it up.

Wiki: Racial profiling is the act of suspecting or targeting a person of a certain race on the basis of observed or assumed characteristics or behavior of a racial or ethnic group, rather than on individual suspicion.

Dictionary.com: The use of personal characteristics or behavior patterns to make generalizations about a person, as in gender profiling. The use of these characteristics to determine whether a person may be engaged in illegal activity, as in racial profiling.

National Institute of Justice: Racial profiling by law enforcement is commonly defined as a practice that targets people for suspicion of crime based on their race, ethnicity, religion or national origin. Creating a profile about the kinds of people who commit certain types of crimes may lead officers to generalize about a particular group and act according to the generalization rather than specific behavior.

Oxford Scholarship: Racial profiling is defined as the use of race or ethnicity, or proxies thereof, by law enforcement officials as a basis for judgments of criminal suspicion

Archived