Not allow to do Visa RUN

Last time, I did many times Visa Run within a day, but today I was barred to enter Thailand. The entry from Aran to Poipet - Aran.

Eventhough, I got all legal documents to showed to the immigration officer, but then the computer system show “no entry”. He also can’t do anything.

The officer asked me to stay in the International Border for a night and tomorrow I can enter back to Thailand. 

This is is bad experience because I never carry anything except passport, wallet and a phone. No clothes and cleaning up stuffs.

Whoever doing a Visa run, better prepare to stay overnight at another country first before return to Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, kwan said:

When retirement visa goes tits up - what's the limit for visa runs land and air. "?

What would your visa end? Just go to an embassy or consulate to apply for a new one when your current one expires.

Visa exempt entries are limited to 2 per calendar year at land border crossings. If you have a valid visa for entry there is no limit.

By air there is no limit to entries with or without a visa.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You chose the wrong crossing to do your border hop.

Aran/Poi Pet has been reported many times for making problems when doing one.

The immigration officer spoke to my wife (government officer). He want to help, but can’t do anything. It is their computer system barred one day out-in Thailand, as just implemented by the main office. So everywhere Border is the same. He says that if you fly, it is not a problem to do Visa run.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There have been no changes and there was certainly nothing in the computer about it.The officer was giving out false info which seems to be standard procedure at that crossings

People are doing border hops at other crossings with a multiple entry visa everyday without a problem. 

You can try to see the computer system, then you will see No Entry

31 minutes ago, macgver said:

You can try to see the computer system, then you will see No Entry

it may be something specific to their computers. I had a guy show me his computer screen at chong sanam once and kept me out and I am assured by others it was not a real rule and he was in error

• Thanks 1

Thanks ubon joe - I should have made it clearer - I'm one of the unfortunates who have been using the embassy letter. How long will 2 road runs give me - and how long an air run give. In a nutshell could I remain living here on this.

PS. Yes I know I should already know these things - Grey cells slowing down. 

15 minutes ago, kwan said:

Thanks ubon joe - I should have made it clearer - I'm one of the unfortunates who have been using the embassy letter. How long will 2 road runs give me - and how long an air run give. In a nutshell could I remain living here on this.

PS. Yes I know I should already know these things - Grey cells slowing down. 

I think is is a little early to be worrying about that.

You would get 30 day entries that can be extended for 30 days for a fee of 1900 baht. So 4 months per calendar year by land or 60 days for each one by air. By air you could have problems after doing a few of them by air and could be denied entry.

Best is to get single entry tourist visas that allows a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, macgver said:

Last time, I did many times Visa Run within a day, but today I was barred to enter Thailand. The entry from Aran to Poipet - Aran.

This is a problem specific to that entry-point.  

all legal documents to showed to the immigration officer

Was this using a multiple-entry visa?  I am not sure what "legal docs" you refer to (beyond a passport).  They may also ask to see cash (10K or 20K Baht worth, depending on type of entry).

From Poipet, you can travel to Ban Laem and enter there.  You can take a taxi direct from Poipet (more expensive), or get shared transport to Battambang, and then a shared-taxi to Ban Laem.

If on a ME Visa, and you think they will be OK with you returning tomorrow, you could try that.  If doing a Visa-Exempt entry, I'd go to Ban Laem.

So everywhere Border is the same. He says that if you fly, it is not a problem to do Visa run.

They have been telling people that for years.  Back when I was on TR Visas, on my way out of Thailand, they told me I could not come back in there after getting my next Tourist Visa - that I had to "fly in" only.  I came in on my next Tourist Visa at Ban Laem without issue.  Others report having trouble with ME Non-O out/ins there.

Malaysian border-points sometimes also require an overnight-stay out for a Visa-Exempt out/in run, but they are still generally better choices than Poipet for entry, which has been known to process official denials of entry for persons attempting to enter Visa-Exempt. 

The immigration officer spoke to my wife (government officer).

I would suppose you received better-than-usual treatment, due to your Thai wife's position and presence.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I think is is a little early to be worrying about that.

You would get 30 day entries that can be extended for 30 days for a fee of 1900 baht. So 4 months per calendar year by land or 60 days for each one by air. By air you could have problems after doing a few of them by air and could be denied entry.

Best is to get single entry tourist visas that allows a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days.

Hi Joe,

Would you need to show an onward flight ticket coming in on a 60 day Tourist Visa?  Then when you extend for 30 days would there be any further requirement for onward departure flight out of Thailand?

Many thanks.

3 hours ago, macgver said:

The immigration officer spoke to my wife (government officer). He want to help, but can’t do anything. It is their computer system barred one day out-in Thailand, as just implemented by the main office. So everywhere Border is the same. He says that if you fly, it is not a problem to do Visa run.

Is there some relevance to your wife being a "government officer"?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rdog said:

Would you need to show an onward flight ticket coming in on a 60 day Tourist Visa?  Then when you extend for 30 days would there be any further requirement for onward departure flight out of Thailand?

No you would not need one,

To apply for the tourist visa you may need to show a ticket out of the country but many embassies and consulate allow it to be within 90 days.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

What would your visa end? Just go to an embassy or consulate to apply for a new one when your current one expires.

Visa exempt entries are limited to 2 per calendar year at land border crossings. If you have a valid visa for entry there is no limit.

And is there a quota for the amount of visa exempt entries by Bangkok Airport, per year ?

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

Do not even think about using visa exempt entries for long term stay. One or two as a stopgap measure is OK. However, if you are married to a Thai, a multiple entry Non O, available from Savannakhet, Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi with no financial proof, is the way to go. This will allow you to stay long term, with border hops every 90 days.

And as per the OP don't even think about Poipet. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no written limit.

A very specific answer ????    that is totally true, but beware that at any point an IO may determine that you are effectively living in Thailand on a tourist visa arrangement and deny entry.

20 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Is there some relevance to your wife being a "government officer"?

Government workers here in Thailand help each other, so whenever you have to deal with the government taking a government worker (best is in uniform) with you will make the process much smoother.

Welcome to Thailand, you seem to be new here ????

8 minutes ago, Belzybob said:

that you are effectively living in Thailand on a tourist visa arrangement and deny entry.

Living in Thailand on a tourist visa is not forbidden, so that's no reason to deny entry.

Edited by jackdd
  • Confused 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Belzybob said:

A very specific answer ????    that is totally true, but beware that at any point an IO may determine that you are effectively living in Thailand on a tourist visa arrangement and deny entry.

And there are many posts here demonstrating exactly that problem.

On 10/23/2018 at 11:02 AM, ubonjoe said:

Hi Joe, thanks for all your participation and help on these forums, much appreciated. I just want to clarity. I am a white New Yorker, and I got Khmer citizenship in 2014. I have Thai retirement visa in my Khmer passport. I renounced US citizenship.

My Khmer friend (no Thai visa) stamps his passport (visa exempt entry) at Aran border many times per calendar year, certainly more than twice, and never seems to be a problem. So perhaps Asean countries have a different rule? Please elaborate thanks in advance.

53 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Living in Thailand on a tourist visa is not forbidden, so that's no reason to deny entry.

True, up to a point, but

• Since 2014, immigration officials have been instructed not to allow people to use visa exempt entries as a way of living in Thailand.
  • Consulates have local rules that in most cases restrict the number of tourist visas you can get (though getting them indefinitely is still possible with a combination of careful research and luck)
  • Some immigration officials are not happy with people using tourist visas to stay long term in the country, and will try to find justifications to deny entry. You are still much safer with a tourist visa than trying to enter visa exempt.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, NotYourBusiness said:

My Khmer friend (no Thai visa) stamps his passport (visa exempt entry) at Aran border many times per calendar year, certainly more than twice, and never seems to be a problem. So perhaps Asean countries have a different rule? Please elaborate thanks in advance.

Cambodian and others get their visa exempt entries from a bilateral agreement instead of the standard visa exempt scheme. The 2 entry rule only applies to those under the the visa exempt scheme. That is also why they cannot get extensions of their entries.

List of the countries that qualify for each one is here. http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/filemanager/VISA/Visa on Arrival/VOA_แก้ไข 15-03-61.pdf

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Cambodian and others get their visa exempt entries from a bilateral agreement instead of the standard visa exempt scheme. The 2 entry rule only applies to those under the the visa exempt scheme. That is also why they cannot get extensions of their entries.

List of the countries that qualify for each one is here. http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/filemanager/VISA/Visa on Arrival/VOA_แก้ไข 15-03-61.pdf

Wow amazing info thank you. Yes I had a problem before once when I tried to extend a visa exempt entry at Chaeng Wattana, which apparently was not possible, and no one could explain why, but it is clear now thanks again Joe. My presence (white farang with Khmer passport) at the border usually raises many Immigration eyebrows, but that is the subject of another thread haha.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

Government workers here in Thailand help each other, so whenever you have to deal with the government taking a government worker (best is in uniform) with you will make the process much smoother.

Welcome to Thailand, you seem to be new here ????

"Living in Thailand on a tourist visa is not forbidden, so that's no reason to deny entry."

It is not the official reason, or reason given on the denied entry stamp. However it can very well be the real reason.