2018 Revo Light Control

kokesaat

The headlights on my 2018 Toyota Revo (Prerunner E) come on occasionally during the bright daytime hours........light switch is in auto mode.  The only way to turn them off (when that happens) is to turn off the engine and open the door.  

I'm wondering if there's a quick fix.....or something I'm doing wrong?  I'll take it to the dealer in the next month for my 10k service....but would like to resolve the headlight problem now.  Might the headlight sensor be blocked (where is it??)....or perhaps it's defective.  Any ideas?

The head lights on your Revo (and all new Toyotas) as you say are auto. They will come on if it gets dark or very dark cloud about. Or you go under a flyover in BKK for example. But they should go off when it gets lighter again.

You could try as a fix turning the light switch to side lights and then back to auto and they should go off, that's if it isn't still dark.

There is one thing that might cause them to go on quicker than normal that's if you have a tint on your front screen. Even a little bit of tint will affect the sensor.

I know they can be a bit of a problem at times but you will have to just live with it. As that's what auto lights do.

Just reread your post. The sensor is on the left hand side of the dash just behind the screen. It's a round domed thing normally black. If that's covered the lights will stay on all the time. You can see if you have the correct thing by starting the lump up and covering it with your finger the lights should go on and stay on till you remove said finger.

Edited by fredob43

5 hours ago, kokesaat said:

The headlights on my 2018 Toyota Revo (Prerunner E) come on occasionally during the bright daytime hours........light switch is in auto mode.

Mine comes on all the time the only way to switch them off is to turn on running lights only. The so-called auto mode is a bad joke. Also, I hate the fact that there's no way to switch off the running lights when the engine is running even while parked. ????

3 hours ago, fredob43 said:

There is one thing that might cause them to go on quicker than normal that's if you have a tint on your front screen. Even a little bit of tint will affect the sensor.

No tint on my front screen and they still stay on. However most 99.99999% of the Thais do. I'd guess Toyota wasn't aware of that fact nor have they made the correction. 

I don't have tint on my screen either. Well saying that I do have a bit at the top.

My lights only come on when it gets dark or if it's about to rain with dark clouds hovering about. Or as I said before under the expressways.

I have a Tuna so that might have a different set up.

Sorry don't know what to suggest if the stay on, other than you might have a dodgy sensor.

Edited by fredob43

8 hours ago, stevenl said:

Against the sun they may also turn on automatically, mine do.

But you can't turn them off by setting the switch to 'off'?

I did a check on my set up today covered the sensor and the lights came on as expected. They then didn't go off. So turned the light stork to side lights then back to Auto and they went off. Bit of faffing about but might be worth a try.  

Edited by fredob43

18 hours ago, kokesaat said:

I resolved the problem.  My English operator manual says auto headlights are adjustable by the dealer.  I went online and found the process.........reset to default and problem solved.

Here are the steps:

http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/member...profile&u=2227

So don't be upset if you don't get it the first time.

1) switch ignition to on
2) make sure dimmer switch is in lowbeam and not pushed forward into constant high beam
3) turn light switch onto parker setting

4) turn ignition off
5)Hold headlights into highbeam
6)While highbeam is pulled on, turn to headlight on then back to center off position  ( not auto) 5 times

7)Release high beam
( the headlamps will flash in relation to what setting they are currently set on. It should flash 3 times with the setting being 0 )( if they don't flash you and not in the settings.)

???? Hold highbeam on again and turn between headlight and parker setting.

The number of times you turn it will vary the sensitivity.
Once -40
Twice -20
Three 0
Four +20
Five +40

9) Once you have turned between headlamps and parker for your desired preference release the highbeam.

The headlamps will flash for the number that you have selected.

And once it flashes say once, you are all complete 

I think my ma and pa would have a huge prob with that stuff, and me too...????

Now what happened to the on/off switch..Has a whizz kid been fooling with stuff the rest of us are not interested in...????

Slightly off topic bv wondering if anyone has had my problem. Approx 4 year old VIGO loses pic from reversing camera after rain., but if no rain for a few days comes back to normal. Have sealed around the camera but still happens. Toyota where I go to service have no idea as a couple of auto elect shops don't either.

On 10/25/2018 at 7:38 AM, Fallangpakwan said:

Slightly off topic bv wondering if anyone has had my problem. Approx 4 year old VIGO loses pic from reversing camera after rain., but if no rain for a few days comes back to normal. Have sealed around the camera but still happens. Toyota where I go to service have no idea as a couple of auto elect shops don't either.

Sounds like water getting into the wiring somewhere. Is there a connector plug for the camera? (there surely must be in case it has to be replaced). Try pulling it apart, spray with WD40 & reconnect.