Bangkok Bank to return Bt1.75 million its ex-employee stole from customers

webfact

Bangkok Bank to return Bt1.75 million its ex-employee stole from customers

By The Nation

bkkBank.jpg

FILE photo

BANGKOK BANK will this week return a combined Bt1.75 million in deposits that were embezzled from three customers by a bank employee, police said yesterday.

Police Colonel Ditsayadej Patcharapuwadon, the superintendent of Uttaradit province’s Muang district police station, said the manager of a Bangkok Bank branch in Uttaradit told him that its head office had approved returning money deposits to the affected customers no later than this Friday.

The bank’s head office in Bangkok would also soon take legal action against the employee, on the charge of stealing from the employer, the police officer said quoting the same branch manager.

The female bank employee has not been identified.

She was fired following the incident, according to a source from the bank that spoke on condition of anonymity. 

Ditsayadej said yesterday that so far only three bank customers had reported missing deposits from their bank accounts – one involving an amount of Bt672,191.95, another Bt577,000, and the last one about Bt500,000.

He encouraged others who might have fallen victim to the bank official to file complaints with police so their embezzled money could be returned.

“I hear that the [embezzled] bank customers were satisfied to get their money back,” the police officer said.

Earlier, the three people with 12-month fixed-rate savings accounts in an Uttaradit branch of the bank had complained to its manager that their deposits were missing. 

It was later found that a bank official had repeatedly transferred money out of the customers’ accounts since early this year. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30357034

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-24

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going back about ten years, I discovered a series of withdrawals at ATMs in places where I never visited.  When I spoke to the manager he could barely manage a flicker of interest.  He put it down to sharing my PIN with my girlfriend.  Case closed.

10 minutes ago, lanista said:

Obviously this is one  of the major drawbacks for farangs depositing 800,000 baht in a Thai bank.

If an employee at your branch falls into debt or a member of her family does  your account will be first cab off the rank.

This is my big fear as well. I use Bangkok Bank right now but I am looking for another option for the money deposit for the visa purpose. Firing her was the last thing that needed to happen. She should have been locked up immediately and all her bank accounts and assets frozen along with her family members. Instead of making people have dog licenses maybe they should tighten up their banking laws and security first. 

9 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

I don't know but if you are transferring money from someones else's account illegally I think you might need to hide it somehow no?

Why? If its a long term deposit acc, older person, probably doesnt look or check that often, and unless they go update the book they are inlikely to notice anything has happened.

44 minutes ago, lanista said:

Obviously this is one  of the major drawbacks for farangs depositing 800,000 baht in a Thai bank.

If an employee at your branch falls into debt or a member of her family does  your account will be first cab off the rank.

I'm sure immigration would quite open and acceptable of you being unable to show your 800,000 as some bank empoyee may have appropriated it ! ????

15 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Why? If its a long term deposit acc, older person, probably doesnt look or check that often, and unless they go update the book they are inlikely to notice anything has happened.

Well, they did notice in this case. 

1 hour ago, lanista said:

My wife insists on using more than one bank for this, for that reason.

2 hours ago, lujanit said:

What other choice did the bank have?  Nothing smart about this, just common sense.

AND AGAIN, a bangkok bank bank fraud. bangkok bank employee empty the bank account of depositors, and gets only...fired !! she had to be jailed on the spot

for stealing, even robbing, but still walks free....this reminds me of a case that happaned to me. i left my luggage in one hotel's luggage keeping room. some time later the whole luggage room was empty, and all the luggage there looted, propably by hotel employees. i went to the police to complain, and after "investigation" police told me, in quite a rude way, that they can't do anything cause it is "between me and the hotel".

now the question is, if it was me who steal from the hotel, would it still be just "between me and the hotel"?

if it was a bank customer who steal from the bank, would he just get "fired" from the bank?

seems like the police is there to protect the rich, and not the small bank / hotel customer.

beware bangkok bank, not the first time customers lose their deposits there...

THE EMPLOYE who robbed customers only got fired?

not arrested immidiately by police?

imagine it was a robber who robed a bank, or just stole something from a shop...

the police would arrest him on the  spot and he would be given years in jail...

thai jails are full of small time criminals who only stole a gold ring or few thousand baht...

but when it is a bank employee ...propably with connections to...she gets to walk free...

disgusting...i will close my account with bangkok bank.

1 hour ago, lanista said:

Did you miss the part where they're getting their money back?  This is an example of the resiliency of electronic deposits and a cashless society.  I'm bookmarking this discussion for the future when somebody trots out the old "cash is king" line.

1 hour ago, Snow Leopard said:

I don't know but if you are transferring money from someones else's account illegally I think you might need to hide it somehow no?

I think there has been a precedence ... a while ago and a little higher up in the pecking order ... ok a lot higher up .

6 minutes ago, attrayant said:

Did you miss the part where they're getting their money back?  This is an example of the resiliency of electronic deposits and a cashless society.  I'm bookmarking this discussion for the future when somebody trots out the old "cash is king" line.

How many people have not noticed or NOT got their money back? It is not only Bangkok Bank either. There have to be good laws in place with strict punishments or you will undermine the faith in the whole banking system. It is not the same as stealing a pack of chewing gum from a shop.

This happens a lot at Bangkok Bank - they only pay back cause for once the banks name is mentioned … ?

Why is there no charge against this long fingered thief yet ?

I would never have account at Bangkok Bank since its a higher risk than most other banks but all thai banks have this problem more or less

2 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

How many people have not noticed or NOT got their money back?

Argument from ignorance: Because we don't know how many people have not gotten their money back - or even that there are people who have not gotten their money back, then the system doesn't work.

An argument from ignorance works both ways.  Here, let's try it the other way:  How many people have lost paper currency and not gotten it back?  I guarantee you that number is many orders of magnitude larger than those who have not gotten missing bank deposits back.

6 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

i believe it is true. and there are many more stories like that.

Of course - the best and most reliable kind of evidence: STORIES!

2 minutes ago, attrayant said:

Argument from ignorance: Because we don't know how many people have not gotten their money back - or even that there are people who have not gotten their money back, then the system doesn't work.

An argument from ignorance works both ways.  Here, let's try it the other way:  How many people have lost paper currency and not gotten it back?  I guarantee you that number is many orders of magnitude larger than those who have not gotten missing bank deposits back.

On another note. Banks steal enough from you legally anyway without their employees doing it illegally ????

Just now, attrayant said:

bank employees know their system and they know from whom to steal. for example they will find an elderly lonely man, or a dying person with no relative to claim his money after it is gone from the account.

in some cases bank employees even murdered customers before or after stealing their money from their account, so the customers could not find it out.

anyway, thai banks are very dangerous as the justice system here is very corrupt and a victim of bank robbery (by bank employess) will find it hard to recover his money in court.

Just now, Snow Leopard said:

On another note. Banks steal enough from you legally anyway without their employees doing it illegally ????

Apart from your fanciful use of the word 'steal', that's a good point.  Banks are hugely profitable.  What kind of a bonehead bank officer would condone the theft of a measly 500K deposit?  A loss that would surely be noticed by its depositor and who made a huge stink about it, thereby exposing the bank to a financial liability potentially much greater than 500K?  It makes about as much sense as any conspiracy.

Archived