Jump to content

Dutch King highlights Brexit uncertainty on visit to Britain


webfact

Recommended Posts

Dutch King highlights Brexit uncertainty on visit to Britain

 

2018-10-23T120045Z_1_LYNXNPEE9M0VQ_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-ROYALS-NETHERLANDS.JPG

Britain's Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles, and King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima of the Netherlands arrive at Buckingham Palace, in London, Britain October 23, 2018. REUTERS/Peter Nicholls

 

LONDON (Reuters) - King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands highlighted the "shadow of uncertainty" hanging over Dutch nationals living in Britain due to Brexit in an address to the British parliament on Tuesday during a two-day state visit.

 

The king used a speech to lawmakers and diplomats in one of parliament's grandest halls to express his regret over Britain's decision to leave the European Union next year - a body he said was flawed, but which had also made great achievements.

 

"It truly saddens us to see a close partner leave. But of course we respect your country's choice," he said.

 

Reaching a deal and predicting the consequences of Brexit was a highly complex task, he said, adding that the 150,000 Dutch nationals living in Britain and 50,000 British nationals living in the Netherlands deserved special attention.

 

"Many of them have lived and worked here for many years. They feel at home in their local community and their contribution to society is valued," he said.

 

"Yet these individuals now live under the shadow of uncertainty about their future status. I understand how difficult this is for them and I trust this uncertainty will be resolved."

 

Earlier, the king and Queen Maxima were formally welcomed by Queen Elizabeth with a Guard of Honor before taking a state carriage procession along the Mall in London to lunch at Buckingham Palace.

 

The Dutch royals were also visiting the grave of William III and Mary II of England, the Anglo-Dutch couple who ruled Britain at the end of the 17th Century, and were also due to lay a wreath at the Grave of the Unknown Soldier in Westminster Abbey.

 

After his address to parliament the king was scheduled to take afternoon tea with Elizabeth's heir Charles at his official Clarence House residence.

 

Elizabeth was later hosting the Dutch royals at a banquet to celebrate the first UK state visit by Dutch monarchy for 36 years.

 

Queen Beatrix and Prince Claus visited Britain in 1982, while Elizabeth and her husband Prince Philip paid a state visit to Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands in 1958.

 

(Reporting by William James and Alistair Smout; editing by Stephen Addison)

 
reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-10-24
Link to post
Share on other sites

He is only concerned due to his private investments in the UK. Nothing more nothing less as him like most people in similar situations do not give a flying fig about anybody else. It's all self interest at play.

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

He is only concerned due to his private investments in the UK. Nothing more nothing less as him like most people in similar situations do not give a flying fig about anybody else. It's all self interest at play.

You mean like all of us.  Do you think anyone who voted in the referendum, voted for what was best for the country, or their own self interest?  Whichever side we voted on it was motivated by self interest through the bulls*it we were all fed. Haven't met anyone yet who gave a fig about anything else. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, dunroaming said:

You mean like all of us.  Do you think anyone who voted in the referendum, voted for what was best for the country, or their own self interest?  Whichever side we voted on it was motivated by self interest through the bulls*it we were all fed. Haven't met anyone yet who gave a fig about anything else. 

A big difference indeed.  Those who voted in the referendum, irrespective of whether the info provided was misleading or otherwise was on the electoral roll in the UK and hence had a right to vote and many did vote based on their own opinions and interests.

It is my understanding that the King of Holland is not a UK resident nor is he on the UK electoral roll and hence his remarks, as I said were motivated by his own private investments and self interest and should be seen as such by the UK electorate

Link to post
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

He is only concerned due to his private investments in the UK. Nothing more nothing less as him like most people in similar situations do not give a flying fig about anybody else. It's all self interest at play.

 

His speech will have been seen and approved by HM beforehand.

 

Some will say that it was delivered on her behalf.

 

Now you know where this is going.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

A big difference indeed.  Those who voted in the referendum, irrespective of whether the info provided was misleading or otherwise was on the electoral roll in the UK and hence had a right to vote and many did vote based on their own opinions and interests.

It is my understanding that the King of Holland is not a UK resident nor is he on the UK electoral roll and hence his remarks, as I said were motivated by his own private investments and self interest and should be seen as such by the UK electorate

What are his private investments and self interest and how does that relate to his worries about Brexit????

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

A big difference indeed.  Those who voted in the referendum, irrespective of whether the info provided was misleading or otherwise was on the electoral roll in the UK and hence had a right to vote and many did vote based on their own opinions and interests.

It is my understanding that the King of Holland is not a UK resident nor is he on the UK electoral roll and hence his remarks, as I said were motivated by his own private investments and self interest and should be seen as such by the UK electorate

So you think that only the UK electorate have the right to an opinion on Brexit?  Certainly not all the EU members settled in Britain eh!

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Enoon said:

 

His speech will have been seen and approved by HM beforehand.

 

Some will say that it was delivered on her behalf.

 

Now you know where this is going.

 

 

 

Gosh, conspiracies everywhere! You can't even trust an HM these days!

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Esso49 said:

He is only concerned due to his private investments in the UK. Nothing more nothing less as him like most people in similar situations do not give a flying fig about anybody else. It's all self interest at play.

Simplistic, doesn't really deserve a response.

Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

What are his private investments and self interest and how does that relate to his worries about Brexit????

Shareholdings in the UK are in the public domain. Seek and yee shall find

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Esso49 said:

He is only concerned due to his private investments in the UK. Nothing more nothing less as him like most people in similar situations do not give a flying fig about anybody else. It's all self interest at play.

The Richest Countries in Europe

Rank Country GDP Per Capita (Source: IMF)
1 Luxembourg 104,003
2 Norway 69,249
3 Ireland 69,231
4 Switzerland 59,561
5 San Marino 59,058
6 Netherlands 51,049
7 Sweden 49,836
8 Iceland 49,136
9 Germany 48,111
10 Austria 48,005
11 Denmark 47,985
12 Belgium 45,047
13 United Kingdom 42,481
14 France 42,314
15 Finland 42,165
16 Malta 39,834
17 Italy 36,833
18 Spain 36,416
19 Cyprus 34,970
20 Czech Republic 33,232
21 Slovenia 32,085
22 Slovakia 31,339
23 Lithuania 29,972
24 Estonia 29,313
25 Portugal 28,933
26 Poland 27,764
27 Hungary 27,482
28 Greece 26,669
29 Russia 26,490
30 Latvia 25,710
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Esso49 said:

He is only concerned due to his private investments in the UK. Nothing more nothing less as him like most people in similar situations do not give a flying fig about anybody else. It's all self interest at play.

Those private investments that create jobs in the UK and against which he pays tax in the UK.

 

The UK doesn't need his or anyone else's money - the population can survive on turnips. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Extremely interesting but please explain where within that table there is any relevance to the level of investment, within the UK, that the dutch King has ? As was the subject of my post !

Link to post
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

Extremely interesting but please explain where within that table there is any relevance to the level of investment, within the UK, that the dutch King has ? As was the subject of my post !

The level of investment you do not want to (or can't) specify?

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Esso49 said:

Extremely interesting but please explain where within that table there is any relevance to the level of investment, within the UK, that the dutch King has ? As was the subject of my post !

I'd stop digging if I were you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

The level of investment you do not want to (or can't) specify?

As I said earlier if you care to read earlier posts the shareholding status of UK companies is available to anybody. If you are to lazy or disinclined to check for yourself then it indicates your comments are intended to flame rather contribute to level argument.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

As I said earlier if you care to read earlier posts the shareholding status of UK companies is available to anybody. If you are to lazy or disinclined to check for yourself then it indicates your comments are intended to flame rather contribute to level argument.

With your earlier posts you insinuated that His Majesty the King of the Netherlands is not sincere in his comments about Brexit. At least that is how I interpret your remarks (Quote: "He is only concerned due to his private investments in the UK. Nothing more nothing less as him like most people in similar situations do not give a flying fig about anybody else. It's all self interest at play".)

For making such a comment about a well-respected monarch it is on you to substantiate your claim, not me. And even if you are correct about the investments, do you really think the King doesn't care about the consequences of Brexit for ordinary people?

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

With your earlier posts you insinuated that His Majesty the King of the Netherlands is not sincere in his comments about Brexit. At least that is how I interpret your remarks (Quote: "He is only concerned due to his private investments in the UK. Nothing more nothing less as him like most people in similar situations do not give a flying fig about anybody else. It's all self interest at play".)

For making such a comment about a well-respected monarch it is on you to substantiate your claim, not me. And even if you are correct about the investments, do you really think the King doesn't care about the consequences of Brexit for ordinary people?

Absolute drivel. My comments were based on fact , not assumptions or interpretations like your own.  If facts are confusing to you refrain from commenting.

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

Absolute drivel. My comments were based on fact , not assumptions or interpretations like your own.  If facts are confusing to you refrain from commenting.

No, your comments are sad, not based on facts at all.

 

You make a statement about his intentions based on your interpretation that his intentions are based on personal wealth. Those are assumptions, interpretations or however you want to call it, but facts is not one of the possible words for that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

No, your comments are sad, not based on facts at all.

 

You make a statement about his intentions based on your interpretation that his intentions are based on personal wealth. Those are assumptions, interpretations or however you want to call it, but facts is not one of the possible words for that.

And what is it you can not grasp about the fact that he has indeed got significant private investments in UK companies ?  But still there are apologists for self centered arguments everywhere so please carry on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

And what is it you can not grasp about the fact that he has indeed got significant private investments in UK companies ?  But still there are apologists for self centered arguments everywhere so please carry on.

I fully understand that.

 

What don't you understand about you making the leap from 'he has both moral and financial interests' to 'he is acting on his financial interests', and stating that leap as a fact.

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Esso49 said:

A big difference indeed.  Those who voted in the referendum, irrespective of whether the info provided was misleading or otherwise was on the electoral roll in the UK and hence had a right to vote and many did vote based on their own opinions and interests.

It is my understanding that the King of Holland is not a UK resident nor is he on the UK electoral roll and hence his remarks, as I said were motivated by his own private investments and self interest and should be seen as such by the UK electorate

What are his private Investments actually? Or is your comment just a troll comment? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...