USA income affidavit

20 hours ago, Thaidream said:

There is no information related to any change on the US Embassy Website- everything the same as it has always been.

If Thai Imm will accept an income stream- 65K per month- one can simply take  65K per month out of a Thai ATM from a US bank and deposit it in a Thai Bank and use the money to live on and then the next month put another 65K in and  do the same. Back up info is Pension letters and US Bank statements showing direct deposit.

We need more info on all this from Thai Imm.  As we all know each IO has their own interpretation of the 'rules'.

I personally have my social security check directly deposited into my BK bank account from the U.S. government. Then update my passbook. Showing minimum of 65k..

1 hour ago, amse said:

Putting 65,000 baht in a Thai bank account  each month is much easier than taking a chance of having 800,000 setting in an account, being you never know what some bank person might do with your account. ????

"that bank person"  could start with your 65000 already ???? …..is 4 times his monthly earning ,but understand your point , that is why some can not rely only on bank, cash (paper)under pillow still is king, and yellow metal, as with 1 push on an button all plastic can be void same as your bank account  ( ouch...! :wacko: if you are an US guy and credit card is your live string 

So … diversify if you wish to be safe  

Edited by david555

when I was in the Immigration office in Chaeng Wattana a couple of weeks back with my Pension letter from the British Embassy was advised to use the banking system next time 

now arranging  the 40000 baht monthly transfer from next month from the UK  plus the marriage certificate for the next Yearly  Non O

no problem as they will see the money In and out as spending here anyway 

can fore see no big problems  

just get the letter plus a print out of the transactions from the bank showing the money in every month 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Wake Up said:

She told me next year I must have 800k in thai bank as she will not accept letter from USA embassy anymore because they don’t check documents to verify income. I said I heard about British but not USA. She said as of January 1, 2019 it applies to USA embassy also although they are accepting all income verification forms dated before January 1, 2019.  This is one experience from one supervisor so if it happens to others please report.

About 19 hours ago, I had just gotten off a plane in Kalemyo and as I was waiting for my bags, I thought I heard something like sh!t hitting a fan somewhere.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Thank you, random poster with no affiliation. I would ask how a casual observer, just like the rest of us, has intimate knowledge that the whole immigration system is under review ?

59 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

"The whole visa and extension system is under review. The review includes the way visas are issued in Embassy's and consulates outside of Thailand.
The way income letters was/are being issued is part of the review."

With the overall, very visible tightening of the visa and immigration rules, the frequent round-ups, the real and rumored changes in proof of income requirements and the recent move of a certain successful police chief from the Tourist to Immigration divisions, one doesn't need inside info or a crystal ball to suss out that something is definitely up.

I mean it's not rocket surgery is it? 

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, JRUSA said:

eposited into my BK bank account from the U.S. government. Then update my passbook. Showing minimum of 65k.

Not everyone has enough in Social Security to do it this way- I have  3 other pensions that are direct deposited in my US Account and they will not direct deposit them overseas. Why should they?- that's what debit cards were invented for= Thai Imm wants proof= a US Bank summary each month -shows amount in and location of Thai ATMs where money taken out. Further proof- 4 Debit cards plus Thai ATM slips- they have accepted this in the past. 

I have no use for Thai Banks except their ATMs- very bad experiences in the past- deposits would be my last resort.

Edited by Thaidream

I just renewed my non-O for a year last week.  And I came prepared,: Had all the forms typed the night before with back/ups, the US Notarary signed and the Mil Ret and SS Letters to equal the total I put on my note.  I brought copies of rental renewals, I've always just relied on the US Embassy note only, but this year, I've been worried about these "here and there" postings like this one.  I had also just built a house up in Udon for my fiancé's family (and brought all the receipts to show that I had 2M+ THB come into Thailand. The lady only looked at the US Embassy note and asked "Do you make this much every month?".  And I casually answered yes.  I thought because I typed up the US Notary and put the monthly amount in type vs hand writing, I was out of the norm.  She then had me sign all my PP pages and then took me to another desk.  She did the same and now, like you had me draw map of where I live.  (Way too easy).  I asked if I had any problems or not enough information, and she responded "actually, too much".   Then I went to the third desk lady supervisor and again asked to draw a map of where I live.  And then, everything was ok, pay, stamp and off to the multi-reentry.  It's odd to have to draw a map.  Why would a somewhat well dressed (long pants, button shirt) (handsome - Ha!) having their 5th year renewal be a fraud?  And I had the address written down to the street zone xx/yy, condo name and apt number etc.  I had no idea why this "drawing a map" more than once could vet some one.  Anyone else have this? (ps.  Once you're forced to have the 800K in the bank, the best way to get it out of country is "gold swiss or pamp", because my bank system in is only one-way.  Speed is Life, Life is Good.

Moon

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

es of course, but Thai immigration doesn't want to do that work looking at and determining validity of foreign financial documents from all over the world (EVERY YEAR)! They're not being unreasonable about that.

Then one can take 65K from their US account  via Thai ATM-save the receipts- place it in a Thai account; and do this every month-bring in the bank book and ATM slips- easy to see and track. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

With the overall, very visible tightening of the visa and immigration rules, the frequent round-ups, the real and rumored changes in proof of income requirements and the recent move of a certain successful police chief from the Tourist to Immigration divisions, one doesn't need inside info or a crystal ball to suss out that something is definitely up.

I mean it's not rocket surgery is it? 

You may have a perception of the above but in reality, besides wild speculation on Thaivisa, the usual stories in the media about rounding up Burmese condo builders etc, there havnt been any changes. I have just done my extension a month ago and it was no different to last year or the year before that. To date, next years extension should be the same.

What Visa or immigration rules have been tightened ?

Second guessing or speculation of a possible change isnt actually a change.

People need to turn the filters on and separate fact from speculation. Otherwise it ends up with threads about the "the great crackdown of 2018" when nothing has actually changed, and probably wont.

Even the new boss has said nothing more than a few throw away statements for the media, 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jingjock said:

es and who was the American that said US will not follow the Brits. with the statuary dec. after I posted it on TV. He said he new everthing in advance, Oh my Buddah, another larrican

I have no idea - but you are missing the point- no other Embassy including the US has indicated they are stopping the letters except the BE.  It is possible Thai Imm will not accept any letters from any Embassy and switch to a self prove format if you use the income method.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't see that anyone has mentioned this but, if the US Embassy Bangkok should stop issuing their official income affidavit form, there is a blank affidavit form where someone could replicate the current income affidavit verbiage. Whether Thai IMM would accept that is another matter but:

An affidavit is a sworn statement. Affidavits may be used in many different situations for many different purposes. Using our blank affidavit form for Bangkok (PDF 59KB) or for Chiang Mai (PDF 104KB), you can write out almost any statement you may wish to make. Please remember not to sign the form before you come to the office. You will need to sign it in front of a Consul.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/affidavit/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JLCrab said:

don't see that anyone has mentioned this but, if the US Embassy Bangkok should stop issuing their official income affidavit form, there is a blank affidavit form where someone could replicate the current income affidavit verbiage. Whether Thai IMM would accept that is another matter but:

An affidavit is a sworn statement. Affidavits may be used in many different situations for many different purposes. Using our blank affidavit form for Bangkok (PDF 59KB) or for Chiang Mai (PDF 104KB), you can write out almost any statement you may wish to make. Please remember not to sign the form before you come to the office. You will need to sign it in front of a Consul.

Well aware- have used it several times in various situations- time will tell if Thai Imm will accept anything from any embassy

Having worked in two US Embassy's for 8 years (not in the Consular Section) the Consular Section and American Citizen Services is the biggest income the State Department gets in return for being there.  At $50 a shot, that will significantly reduce this peripheral income and the US DoS will do it's best to keep it going.   

23 hours ago, AGareth2 said:

do they accept Google maps?

Here on Samui you have to present a google map with grid reference plus you have to hand draw a map of where your house is .Thailand must have one of the biggest paper trails in the world where do they store it all .

• Like 1

It is true that the actual Bank Book is not evidence.  It only goes back so far if you forget to update it regularly.

Because I don't have the 800K THB in the bank and I only transfer from my BOA to Bangkok Bank in NY (a US Bank at $3.50 per transfer) and then BB BKK, I wanted to know how I could prove my transactions as I had forgot to update my bank book and not to sure if iBanking computer statement would be good enough.  I went to Bangkok Bank to find out and they printed out my last year's in and out transactions, stamp, sealed, signed for 300 THB.  That would be the evidence.   (All freelance thinking as I don't know for sure)

1 minute ago, Moon37 said:

is true that the actual Bank Book is not evidence.  It only goes back so far if you forget to update it regularly.

Because I don't have the 800K THB in the bank and I only transfer from my BOA to Bangkok Bank in NY (a US Bank at $3.50 per transfer) and then BB BKK, I wanted to know how I could prove my transactions as I had forgot to update my bank book and not to sure if iBanking computer statement would be good enough.  I went to Bangkok Bank to find out and they printed out my last year's in and out transactions, stamp, sealed, signed for 300 THB.  That would be the evidence.   (All freelance thinking as I don't know for sure)

There are all kinds of ways to prove income from source- it is going to be up to each individual Imm office what they accept- the next 6-8 months shall  reveal months (that is allegedly the ending date when Embassy letters could be void)-  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Moon37 said:

I'm not too sure but I heard Singapore is $700K in their bank to be an expat.   

I really like Singapore but the housing costs are off putting for me.    Transportation costs are easy to get around.

Your post caused me to look up what it takes to retire there.

"Each scheme has its own requirements, and you’ll either have to work or invest in Singapore to qualify. For the former, you have to be employed and actively working in the city-state before you apply, and before you turn 50 years old. Otherwise, foreigners are required to invest at least $2.5 million Singapore dollars (about $1.8 million at current rates) in the local economy by opening a new business or by expanding an existing business.?
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I wonder if she meant that she would accept the income affidavit with proof of the 65k baht coming in.

As you said it is only one officer saying such. I will not believe anything until I see in writing from the Immigration Bureau.

I don't think anybody should pancic due to the words of one officer.,

True, especially as different officers in different immigration offices have their own way of doing things.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

True, especially as different officers in different immigration offices have their own way of doing things.

it makes it anyway like playing Russian roulette 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, shackleton said:

when I was in the Immigration office in Chaeng Wattana a couple of weeks back with my Pension letter from the British Embassy was advised to use the banking system next time 

now arranging  the 40000 baht monthly transfer from next month from the UK  plus the marriage certificate for the next Yearly  Non O

no problem as they will see the money In and out as spending here anyway 

can fore see no big problems  

just get the letter plus a print out of the transactions from the bank showing the money in every month 

The question/problem I see in this (which is what I will try to do as I have regular monthly transfers in exceeding 65k) Is that my bank (BK Bank) seems to only keep a 6 month record of transactions - I suppose I could go in at the six month mark and ask for a certified printout and then a second one right before I go to immigration- But knowing CM Immigration they will tell me the printout from six months ago is not acceptable as it is too old :coffee1:

14 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

The question/problem I see in this (which is what I will try to do as I have regular monthly transfers in exceeding 65k) Is that my bank (BK Bank) seems to only keep a 6 month record of transactions - I suppose I could go in at the six month mark and ask for a certified printout and then a second one right before I go to immigration- But knowing CM Immigration they will tell me the printout from six months ago is not acceptable as it is too old :coffee1:

Just updating your bank book every month would do it. Immigration will accept a bank book as proof.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Just updating your bank book every month would do it. Immigration will accept a bank book as proof.

The bank books is such an archaic tool... And the update is hit or miss on wether it updates correctly... Miss a monthly update  and you lose that month transaction in your book and you can’t get the book corrected...