Question about Work Permits

I have a retirement visa, which I'm considering changing to a marriage visa so I can start a psychotherapy practice. Is is still possible to get a WP as a sole practioner (sole proprietor)? I recall it used to be possible, but maybe I have that wrong.

Is anyone out there who knows enough about Work Permits in Thailand to be able to answer and maybe fill in some gaps?

Edited by HalfLight

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for a work permit if your wife registers a sole proprietorship business to work there.

You cannot register a sole proprietorship as a foreigner.

Hmmm. Thanks. What would be required and how would that work? Would I still need a work permit in my own name?

2 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

Hmmm. Thanks. What would be required and how would that work? Would I still need a work permit in my own name?

Once the business is registered you could apply for a work permit using supporting documents from the business. You would have a work permit allowing you to work.

For the work permit it would best to check with the Department of Employment office in the province where you are located to find out the requirements for the work permit

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Once the business is registered you could apply for a work permit using supporting documents from the business. You would have a work permit allowing you to work.

For the work permit it would best to check with the Department of Employment office in the province where you are located to find out the requirements for the work permit

cheers...

13 hours ago, HalfLight said:

No doubt. But taking a horse to water... besides, I can only help those who want to be helped and then not always... and I doubt many would want to pay what I would charge...

What qualifications do you have?

Are your qualifications accepted by the appropriate Thai medical authorities?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HalfLight said:

No doubt. But taking a horse to water... besides, I can only help those who want to be helped and then not always... and I doubt many would want to pay what I would charge...

Excuse me, but doesnt that sentence say people would not be able to afford your services? Who do you plan to counsel and how do you plan to make money? 

38 minutes ago, GLewis said:

Excuse me, but doesnt that sentence say people would not be able to afford your services? Who do you plan to counsel and how do you plan to make money? 

I have a business plan; I was referring to the comment made (presumably half-joking) about treating TV readers, may of whom (in the opinion of the poster) need help.

I have no view on the matter, but it is true that I am not cheap. Effective but not cheap.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

What qualifications do you have?

Are your qualifications accepted by the appropriate Thai medical authorities?

Thailand is not very current in mental health matters, for reasons which I think I understand but have little patience for. As for my qualifications, I am qualified. Would Thai government accept the qualifications I have? Unlikely unless I got them at a Thai University, which I didn't.

7 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Friend of mine had his wife trying this 15 years ago, you have to take an exam to get legimitation, the exam is in Thai only.

Maybe changed now but I doubt it.

Thanks for this, pretty much what I thought, a combination of Thai exceptionalism and narcissism. Your own previous experience  (or that of your wife) is useful to hear about though. Thanks.

Did she take the exam? I presume it has much the same function as the singing of the national anthem if you're applying for citizenship (though why anyone would want to do that I'm less sure of).

I had a business in Thailand for 9 years. it is extremely difficult and got harder by the year. the company and work permit system seems to be set up to make life difficult (and of course cost money) the best advice I could probably give to you (other than don't do it) is to get a very good lawyer and a very good accountant. I can recommend you some if you are in Pattaya.

This is probably considered "off topic" but I can't think of any place more appropriate to ask it. Why is it such a big item with IO if a man WORKS when he marries someone here?  I read tonnes of posts about men being "suspected" of using marriage as a pretext for getting a work permit. Would a man in ANY country not be expected to work?.....ESPECIALLY if he could perform a job that a Thai could not do. Teaching English is the most obvious example. After years of speaking with Thai people, I still have much difficulty understanding their English. I was just confused about the big "bugaboo" about "getting married to get a work permit. It does not make much sense to me. I wish we were all independently wealthy, but it seldom happens. I'm fortunate enough to have a nice pension but every penny usually comes in handy. Just some thinking out loud. Input appreciated, unless it's the "bash the Yank" variety.

Edited by KhunFred
punctuation

24 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

This is probably considered "off topic" but I can't think of any place more appropriate to ask it. Why is it such a big item with IO if a man WORKS when he marries someone here?  I read tonnes of posts about men being "suspected" of using marriage as a pretext for getting a work permit. Would a man in ANY country not be expected to work?.....ESPECIALLY if he could perform a job that a Thai could not do. Teaching English is the most obvious example. After years of speaking with Thai people, I still have much difficulty understanding their English. I was just confused about the big "bugaboo" about "getting married to get a work permit. It does not make much sense to me. I wish we were all independently wealthy, but it seldom happens. I'm fortunate enough to have a nice pension but every penny usually comes in handy. Just some thinking out loud. Input appreciated, unless it's the "bash the Yank" variety.

This post contains several straw man arguments.

1. It is not a "big item" at all if a foreigner works here.

2. Working legally or otherwise is not the remit of the Immigration Department but the Ministry of Labour.

3. You cannot use marriage as a pretext for getting a work permit in Thailand.

4. Thus you did not read many posts stating that. You may have read many posts but you clearly put your own totally inaccurate construction on them.

5. "Would a man in ANY country not be expected to work" has nothing to do with the legal right to perform work as a foreigner.

6. The argument that your inability to understand Thais speaking a foreign language seems to translate into a right for foreigners to demand a work permit.

You are very confused. Being married to a Thai has almost no relation to obtaining a work permit. You seem to have read a story about Indians, chiefly, arranging fake marriages to Thais to obtain permission to stay and then, in your confused mind, linked it somehow to the right to obtain a work permit. You need to study this topic further as you are currently showing little understanding.

Edited by Briggsy

The expected hostile response which ThaiVisa is world famous for. Therefore, I am taking the "ignore button" route, which has never failed me yet. It would be nice to get answers for a change from those who are not obsessed with logical fallacies such as "straw men". I usually do not have to wait too long until someone without a pedantic need to tell me how "wrong", I am, happens along and sorts things out. Enjoy your life.