How much should a driveway gate cost?

Sealhead777

13 minutes ago, Sealhead777 said:

fancy stainless steel

Stainless steel is not what we are used to here, be aware that is also can rust here and it can take a lot of work to keep it fancy.

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Wider but lower around 80k + automatic openerIMG_1140.JPG.584cb8ff63feb355d2cc97e50ebd3cc8.JPGIMG_1141.JPG.a53ad9a419da12d221a82d23023a6b92.JPG

What is the opening bit for in the second photo. A vehicle cannot go through it, nor my wheelchair or zimmer frame! Strangeways Prison is more attractive.

27 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

What is the opening bit for in the second photo. A vehicle cannot go through it, nor my wheelchair or zimmer frame! Strangeways Prison is more attractive.

It's for people to enter not wheeled vehicles of any kind and if your Zimmer frame won't go through it it must be the widest one in existence.

I don't particularly care that you seem to have a strange liking for a prison we certainly didn't bother to ask your opinion on the design.

1 minute ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It's for people to enter not wheeled vehicles of any kind and if your Zimmer frame won't go through it it must be the widest one in existence.

I don't particularly care that you seem to have a strange liking for a prison we certainly didn't bother to ask your opinion on the design.

Would a Zimmer frame user want to lift it 6 inches or more to get through the gate?

7 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Would a Zimmer frame user want to lift it 6 inches or more to get through the gate?

Have you considered perhaps that the gate is so designed to prevent a zimmer frame user getting out on to the street and getting run down ?

13 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

Have you considered perhaps that the gate is so designed to prevent a zimmer frame user getting out on to the street and getting run down ?

I had not considered that, but I think the design is more because 'that's how Thais do it'. I know because my gate was designed just the same, with an opening bit for pedestrians, but the gate is always open for bikes and cars. Do they have Zimmer frames in THailand...I never saw one yet. Maybe I'll be first with one. lol

1 hour ago, Sealhead777 said:

Thanks for the responses. The big gate looks good and I have no idea what a zimmer is.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

No idea what a zimmer frame is!!

A zimmer frame is a walking aid for people with poor mobility, u shaped frame with hand grips.

Here’s mine a lot more basic and you have to open it manually......not sure of cost as I had wall and two off these gates made/builtfor 90 k bht,,,,,,,,maybe gate worth somewhere 15k to 20k.

im still waiting for them to build road so can actually get car up onto driveway......????????????????????????

CCC39102-0043-45BD-B49E-D07586E2679D.jpeg

E0BF273C-122D-4EF7-A367-7ADD07AD888E.jpeg

On 10/24/2018 at 6:58 PM, wgdanson said:

Well, the gate is subtly designed to stop wandering geese from  exiting the garden, IMG_5467.JPG.fe09fde2a3d444b9930ca5ecee406c5b.JPGIMG_5468.JPG.8d3f4c012fc6994063779c9e14eef740.JPGwhile preventing the hordes of chickens, itinerant wandering zimmer frame users, and strangers selling everything from garlic through fish to pork and mattresses from easily entering.

On 10/24/2018 at 7:20 PM, wgdanson said:

my gate was designed just the same, with an opening bit for pedestrians, but the gate is always open for bikes and cars. 

That seems to rather make a gate redundant doesn't it?

Generally our gate is closed for the reasons given, however should a welcome Zimmer frame user or other physically challenged individual (or group) or car, motorcycle, trycicle, or even 40 ton articulated truck arrive, we are quite capable of sliding the main section open even from inside the house.

IMG_5469.JPG.893a795f8ac30d5ca875015637da376f.JPG

We do have one of the wonderful inventions (maybe you, as a Zimmer frame aficionado are unaware of them) commonly known as a wireless door bell. It is placed out of sight (from the aforementioned itinerant, and generally unwelcome, wanderers) high (to deter kids from using it) on the reverse side of a gate post.

Welcome guests, locals, the postman and family know where it is or can always ring our mobile phones for admittance.

On 10/24/2018 at 7:07 PM, Esso49 said:

We didn't think of that one as the house (while wheelchair accessible and for very old and infirm) is not accessible by an unassisted Zimmer frame user. We have shallow steps and a ramp

IMG_0313.JPG.0cbbf9f73110db3c6dffe0920eabd76b.JPG

IMG_0575.thumb.JPG.2ce3be934fe446c82fb2cd92410ba76d.JPG

49 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Well, the gate is subtly designed to stop wandering geese from  exiting the garden, IMG_5467.JPG.fe09fde2a3d444b9930ca5ecee406c5b.JPGIMG_5468.JPG.8d3f4c012fc6994063779c9e14eef740.JPGwhile preventing the hordes of chickens, itinerant wandering zimmer frame users, and strangers selling everything from garlic through fish to pork and mattresses from easily entering.

That seems to rather make a gate redundant doesn't it?

Generally our gate is closed for the reasons given, however should a welcome Zimmer frame user or other physically challenged individual (or group) or car, motorcycle, trycicle, or even 40 ton articulated truck arrive, we are quite capable of sliding the main section open even from inside the house.

IMG_5469.JPG.893a795f8ac30d5ca875015637da376f.JPG

We do have one of the wonderful inventions (maybe you, as a Zimmer frame aficionado are unaware of them) commonly known as a wireless door bell. It is placed out of sight (from the aforementioned itinerant, and generally unwelcome, wanderers) high (to deter kids from using it) on the reverse side of a gate post.

Welcome guests, locals, the postman and family know where it is or can always ring our mobile phones for admittance.

We didn't think of that one as the house (while wheelchair accessible and for very old and infirm) is not accessible by an unassisted Zimmer frame user. We have shallow steps and a ramp

IMG_0313.JPG.0cbbf9f73110db3c6dffe0920eabd76b.JPG

IMG_0575.thumb.JPG.2ce3be934fe446c82fb2cd92410ba76d.JPG

Lovely house mate. 

4 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Lovely house mate. 

Thank you the mostly complete story is on a non-commercial website devoted to building cool thai houses. I don't know if the link address is permitted but a search for "Workshop and house, Non Sa-At ½ way between KK & Udon" will probably find it.

http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4890

On 10/24/2018 at 4:25 PM, RotMahKid said:

Stainless steel is not what we are used to here, be aware that is also can rust here and it can take a lot of work to keep it fancy.

Stainless steel fences and gates are very common in Thailand. I see gates and window bars that have been up for years without a touch of rust. I guess it depends on the quality.

I have seen several answers here and I guess my 5 baht worth of comment is depends on what your budget is and how cheap looking or expensive your taste is. As shown you can get a relatively cheap gate for 10k  to 15k that has cheap Sherawood  or go up from there. Stainless comes in many grades so the higher grades will be beautiful, last a long time and cost at the higher end. You have to decide what your budget can afford what you can live with for the next xxx years. The lower end of the spectrum will cost you in repairs and service every few years for sure. Happy gate hunting. And adding the whistles and bells like gate openers obviously adds 10k and up

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:57 AM, taichiplanet said:

40k: 4.5m wide x 2m high plus 1m side entrance. All stainless with faux woodgrain stickers! Getting the concrete laid for the track was extra. Remote motor is about 15-20k extra, but the gf needs the exercise.

IMG_20181029_094123.thumb.jpg.1f75449539cb997d3d61e5c8bcdf6952.jpg

Arrowheads on top, just to make sure no one can get in!

Archived