Jump to content

FDA denies US ban on fish sauce from Thailand


webfact

Recommended Posts

FDA denies US ban on fish sauce from Thailand

By The Nation

 

31b53ac2c974812358f8961836ab0807.jpeg

 

THAILAND’S Food and Drug Association (FDA) yesterday dismissed reports that the United States has banned the import of fish sauce from Thailand, saying they had just asked for more documents from some firms, FDA deputy secretary-general Dr Poonlarp Chantavichitwong said.
 

He did not reveal the names of the said companies.

 

Insisting that Thai fish sauce is of high export quality, Poonlarp said his agency would still examine the production process used by some companies, and contact the concerned authorities to come to an understanding with the US FDA on this matter.

 

Earlier reports claimed the ban on fish sauce from Thailand had stemmed from concerns that it contained the botulinum toxin, which is regarded as potentially fatal. Those affected by the toxin experience nausea and breathing difficulties. 

 

Poonlarp said the FDA also plans to review the standard of fish sauce and its bacteria to ensure they meet international standards. 

 

Referring to reports that fish-based sauce can contain histamine substances that can cause cancer, Poonlarp said the amount of histamine in the sauce was too little. 

 

“One has to consume large amounts of fish sauce to develop cancer. People only use it for seasoning,” he said.

 

Speaking at the same press briefing, Witayakorn Maneenate, deputy director-general of Department of International Trade Promotion, Commerce Ministry, said it was not uncommon for the US FDA to seek more documents and information for examination, especially for products like fish sauce. 

 

Over the past 10 years, the US has asked for additional documentation only four times – the latest being this year. Also, documentation is being sought from a company whose products have been suspended from entering the US, he said. 

 

This firm has submitted the required documents and is waiting for a response, Witayakorn said.

 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30357106

 
thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-25
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Insisting that Thai fish sauce is of high export quality...

 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

One has to consume large amounts of fish sauce to develop cancer.

Yeah, don't order it by the container load.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It begins, I think Thailand are going to find many exports to the US come under very close scrutiny in the coming months and years.

 

This is just the first incident we know about.

 

Botulinum as created by Clostridium Botulinum is one of the most potent toxins known.

 

Sterilisation gets rid of it, it's why we sterilise canned / other packaged foods.

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Earlier reports claimed the ban on fish sauce from Thailand had stemmed from concerns that it contained the botulinum toxin, which is regarded as potentially fatal.

"... after the United States had banned the import of all Thai fish sauce in 2014 for the lack of information about tests of botulinum toxin in the product, the Office of Food Safety and Quality had tested 48 brands of fish sauce available in the market to determine the content of botulinum toxin in the product.

Of the 48 brands tested, 28 are genuine fish from 18 production sources from12 provinces. 20 samples from production sources from eight provinces are adulterated fish sauce. However, tests show none of them have botulinum toxin of types A, B, E and F and free from clostridium botulinum bacteria."

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/21-brands-thai-fish-sauce-free-botulinum-toxin/

It wouldn't be uncommon for the US FDA to seek documents and information for examination  of those tests by a foreign nation. Apparently, the US FDA has yet to receive appropriate documentation:

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Poonlarp said his agency would still examine the production process used by some companies, and contact the concerned authorities to come to an understanding with the US FDA on this matter. 

And maybe rightly so as it seems the Thai FDA didn't examine production process used by some companies? Just took a company's test results without independent confirmation?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

"... after the United States had banned the import of all Thai fish sauce in 2014 for the lack of information about tests of botulinum toxin in the product, the Office of Food Safety and Quality had tested 48 brands of fish sauce available in the market to determine the content of botulinum toxin in the product.

Of the 48 brands tested, 28 are genuine fish from 18 production sources from12 provinces. 20 samples from production sources from eight provinces are adulterated fish sauce. However, tests show none of them have botulinum toxin of types A, B, E and F and free from clostridium botulinum bacteria."

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/21-brands-thai-fish-sauce-free-botulinum-toxin/

It wouldn't be uncommon for the US FDA to seek documents and information for examination  of those tests by a foreign nation. Apparently, the US FDA has yet to receive appropriate documentation:

And maybe rightly so as it seems the Thai FDA didn't examine production process used by some companies? Just took a company's test results without independent confirmation?

 

Re your last sentence...........for a small reimbursement maybe.......🤔

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Srikcir said:

And maybe rightly so as it seems the Thai FDA didn't examine production process used by some companies? Just took a company's test results without independent confirmation?

 

That's why I would never buy organic or bio product in Thailand. What is the guarantee that it really is?

 

You pay 300+ % more but nobody checks whether they don't use chemicals as long as envelopes keep coming 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...