Getting my degree legalized?

Tomorrow I will be going to the Department of Consular Affairs to get my degree "legalized". I have the actual degree with me and an affidavit from the US Embassy attesting to its validity. So I will bring both of those plus my passport.  I was told I need scans of every page of my passport, but I think bringing the actual passport is good enough, right?  I don't need to give scans do I?

Is there anything else I need to bring besides my passport, my degree, and my affidavit? 

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not needed if it is in English. Immigration, the Labor Ministry (work permit) and etc will accept documents in English.

O.k. I thought the MoFA could only verify Thai things.

Edited by Neeranam

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

O.k. I thought the MoFA could only verify Thai things.

They can verify the signature of a consular officer on a document. All embassies and consulates have their consular officers accredited with the MFA and that includes their signature so it can be verified.

• Like 2

Does the legalised certificate have to be the original degree, or is a legalised copy ok? Just to clarify, this is a copy of the UK university degree that has been notarised and apostilled in the UK, it now needs to be legalised at the Thai embassy in London. When it comes to submitting it in Thailand (e.g. for a teacher's licence) are they expecting the original or are they happy to receive the legalised copy if  they are shown the original exists? 

Edited by sussex

1 hour ago, sussex said:

Does the legalised certificate have to be the original degree, or is a legalised copy ok? Just to clarify, this is a copy of the UK university degree that has been notarised and apostilled in the UK, it now needs to be legalised at the Thai embassy in London. When it comes to submitting it in Thailand (e.g. for a teacher's licence) are they expecting the original or are they happy to receive the legalised copy if  they are shown the original exists? 

Having just gone through this procedure with a death certificate, as long as the document has both stamps, one from the FCO and one from the Thai Embassy, that will suffice. That is all the proof of legalising that is required.   

1 minute ago, worrab said:

Having just gone through this procedure with a death certificate, as long as the document has both stamps, one from the FCO and one from the Thai Embassy, that will suffice. That is all the proof of legalising that is required.   

Thanks - but to be clear, was the document with the stamps the original, or a copy of the original? 

Just now, sussex said:

Thanks - but to be clear, was the document with the stamps the original, or a copy of the original? 

It was one of the copies I got from the Registrar. If your copy was not acceptable to the FCO, they would not have notarised it. So you should be okay.

12 hours ago, USslugga said:

I have the actual degree with me and an affidavit from the US Embassy attesting to its validity.

I don't think the affidavit you got implies that the US Embassy attests to the validity of your degree.  it's an affidavit upon which you attest to the degree's validity.

The 4th item on the affidavit states:

The U.S. Embassy does not guarantee the contents of my own sworn statement. Under penalty of perjury, I assume full and complete responsibility for the veracity of the claims herein.

and on their website the embassy indicates:

U.S. Consular Officers overseas are not empowered to authenticate public documents that were issued in the United States because they do not have access to the records of the issuing offices or the seals of the custodians of these records. Such documents include vital records (birth, marriage, death, and divorce), as well as academic, commercial, or other credentials.

Edited by Suradit69

• 3 years later...

I'm trying to avoid going the long way to MFA department of Consular affairs. Anyone knows an agency I could hire? I contacted some but to no avail. Either they didn't answer at all or said cannot cos of problems with the MFA office.

15 minutes ago, Gecko said:

I'm trying to avoid going the long way to MFA department of Consular affairs. Anyone knows an agency I could hire? I contacted some but to no avail. Either they didn't answer at all or said cannot cos of problems with the MFA office.

Send me a private msg

22 minutes ago, Gecko said:

Have you tried contacting a translation service since that is part of their business. They will do it for you.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Have you tried contacting a translation service since that is part of their business. They will do it for you.

I contacted three or four. Just one answered,  but said can't go there (in behalf of me) because the office wouldn't be agency friendly. Instead offered an appointment to go with them in 3 weeks time. If I had to go there by myself, would I need an appointment? See here conflicting answers. Is office in MRT Khlong Toei still an option?

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Ok, thanks. I tried this link which suggests you need an appointment.  https://qlegal.consular.go.th/customer/create  And indeed you can make an appointment for Chaeng Watthana, but not for MRT Klong Toei. Now I'm more confused than before.

29 minutes ago, Gecko said:

And indeed you can make an appointment for Chaeng Watthana, but not for MRT Klong Toei. Now I'm more confused than before.

The drop down menu shows it.

image.png.009886dfeecd0b34e3321e53845686bc.png

Going further down the page though it does not show a available appointment until September 9th.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The drop down menu shows it.

image.png.009886dfeecd0b34e3321e53845686bc.png

Going further down the page though it does not show a available appointment until September 9th.

Yep. I've seen this. I thought kind of  error. But looks like it's booked out for weeks while Chaeng Watthana and Chiang Mai no prob to get an appointmant.