Mystery of the Swedish man's empty bank account - it was a Thai family inside job after all!

snoop1130

Of Course it is Rouge ? Family members !!! ..... It almost always is ? ... You could have guessed that at the start of this one pretty easily I think ! ... (But, like, What could the Daughter been thinking as she stole, and spent over four hundred thousand Bart ??? .... Like not just a few bucks for a TV and Fridge, .... Buy Four Hundred thousand Bart !!! ...  Like I could not even think of what I would spend all of that on ! ..... Like I honestly think that there is something just basically wrong with People, ...  and well, Families like this I think. Just all a bit to rich, and no real morals, or any real pride or self esteem.)

.... The Family Members "Think that they have the right" to their Mothers money, and it also is some times the opposite way around, the Mothers rob their Daughters ! .... TIT ? ... Well it probably happens in many countries, but well, Ones with Strong, ... Often Mindless family structures ? ...  Like Political Nepotism does, .... but these structures are mostly created by the necessity of People countering Financial or Political hard ship of course ? (I think)

.... Like in countries with no social security for their people, ....

Like in Thailand where there is none ? Well very Little financial help for Old people ? ....

Though my Wife, well "Partner"  gets 600 B a Month, and it is going up !!! ... And a free nosh up about once a month, a Big party at Sonkran, and one free all expenses paid for, long bus trip day outing a year, .... which I think is pretty amazing for a so called Second would country ! They even took them over to Katchanarbury and they all stayed on the rafts there for a night once !!! ... The money comes from the Ampor I think ? ... The Very local and last level of town council I think, ... but the central government must give the money to them I suppose, they just decide to spend it this way)

... In Australia we have the opposite problem, ... Often the Children do not Give a F' ... and after the Parents have been robed by them, they get left to die alone ! ... (A good statement to attract the TVisas. Trolles ? Right ? Har Har ... Even if it is often pretty accurate in many cases there at least, like another country that I DO know.)

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

the money was in fact all spent in an online shopping spree from the 16th August to the 17th of September by Nonthaphat's eldest daughter

Has she thought of applying for a government job.

She seems to have the necessary skills.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, chrisinth said:

Yep, understand what you are saying, but not all online sites will trigger your (in this case, mine anyway) bank to ask for an OTP. My debit (ATM) card (Bangkok Bank) is setup for OTP but it has never been asked for using either Lazada or AliExpress, yet for some other sites it will ask. The ATM card I use for online purchases has only about 100,000 in it to narrow the risk of anything going wrong.

Getting your hands on somebody's credit/debit card is probably easier than you would think, especially if the offender was a trusted family member. Leave your wallet on the kitchen table; it only takes about 15 seconds to remove from wallet, snap two shots (one if you are confident that you can remember the 3 digit security number on the back) and return to wallet.

Thai system does not use PIN numbers in shops, only in ATM's.  In shops they just ask for a signature and NEVER EVER even look at it.  They were out of the country.  In most countries she could have the card but not use it without a pin for anything in store.   Here, if she also had Mum's or step-Dad's phone or sim. she could have received all the bank security texts and responded correctly and then wiped the text message "conversations." from the phone or sim.   Also, lots of Kerry trucks delivering stuff for a month with NO comments from other family or neighbours.

Edited by The Deerhunter

Its the Swedish guy's fault. No excuses. No joint accounts for sure and never give out any information on your personal account. I had a joint account in the UK once a long time ago. Learned my lesson. If you have a supplementary credit card make sure there is a maximum monthly limit on it as well. This is not cynical. It's just prudent. Thai or not Thai doesn't matter. Keep your financial information safe. 

• Thanks 1

You cannot be careful enough in the selection of your family. The mother does not want to press charges, the bank (not at fault) is relieved (from what) while the victim is not even mentioned. 

The girl belongs locked for a while and then to be made paying up in full with market-confirm bank interest for the damage. Once settled I would ensure not seeing the brat ever again; that's what I would press for if I would be the victim - but then, what do I know in the age of the "snowflake generation" ............. 

22 minutes ago, NonthaburiBear said:

never make joint accounts for the sake of love..whatsoever. Keep your dearest close and your money closer.

Never have joint accounts when the sole motive of being married is money ! My wife and I have had joint accounts for the last 12 years ! We both work and both pay the bills . Imagine marrying someone and being scared they will run off with your trump  card in the relationship ???? sad .

I would not be happy what  did she spend it on.what was her excuse.10k nearly. I would make  her pay it back for sure.that is a 1 yr visa if he is married to the mum.how would she feel if he did not get the renewal and had To leave the country.probadly could not care I imagine and find another money tree

17 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

That is a serious shopping spree. 480,000 in a month!

Still, I guess it is easier to make those purchasing decisions, when it is somebody elses money.

not a month, two days, now that is serious shopping

15 hours ago, observer90210 said:

First a big relief to all that this was not another case of a dishonest bank employee robbing a foreign customer's account,.

Second, a big lesson the to poor Swede in trusting the family of his Thai wife...sorry but the facts speak for themselves.

Third, is is very very disrespectful from the Thai wife who should feel herself lucky to have a generous foreign provider, to try to minimalise the theft from her daughter, as that's the impression one get's on reading.

Good job

3 examples of nonsense in one post, you even managed to emphasize "Thai"

just in case we didn't know which nationality you dislike.

If you don't like this post, will I go on your ignore list and if so does it work

both ways?

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

It should be the wife who is locked up for divulging the account details to members of her family !!

I bet the wife was in on the scam and shared the profit with the daughter, a win win for both of them, Swedish sponsor husband is the only loser here, a good advice to him: dump this cheating family. 

First a big relief to all that this was not another case of a dishonest bank employee robbing a foreign customer's account,.

Second, a big lesson the to poor Swede in trusting the family of his Thai wife...sorry but the facts speak for themselves.

Third, is is very very disrespectful from the Thai wife who should feel herself lucky to have a generous foreign provider, to try to minimalise the theft from her daughter, as that's the impression one get's on reading.
It's rather clear that it's a stunt between the mom and daughter.. The thai wife is a complice for sure ! If I was the Swedish husband, I would have now some serious doubts !

Envoyé de mon SM-G965F en utilisant Tapatalk

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Fun to read through the original thread and see the misc. (mostly false) assumptions.

Robbing bank employes etc.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1059064-swedish-man-and-thai-wife-go-to-chaiyaphum-police-after-half-a-million-missing-from-bank-account/

BUT the winner is member @smew  in post #13 from Sep 27:

:clap2:

Suppose he started with the obvious based on past form, then worked his way backwards to the family.

The daughter kopt it when she showed off the brand new phone she found.

Oh and clothes someone gave her.

Oh, I think there was a watch involved too. lol.

6 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Yep, understand what you are saying, but not all online sites will trigger your (in this case, mine anyway) bank to ask for an OTP. My debit (ATM) card (Bangkok Bank) is setup for OTP but it has never been asked for using either Lazada or AliExpress, yet for some other sites it will ask. The ATM card I use for online purchases has only about 100,000 in it to narrow the risk of anything going wrong.

Getting your hands on somebody's credit/debit card is probably easier than you would think, especially if the offender was a trusted family member. Leave your wallet on the kitchen table; it only takes about 15 seconds to remove from wallet, snap two shots (one if you are confident that you can remember the 3 digit security number on the back) and return to wallet.

May well be true what you saying, i use Kbank web shopping card and automatic limit is 0, i personally have to change the limit and to do that, i need OTP. Also i use Ali a lot and surprised to hear they accept debit cards. With credit cards, they require your passport and photo of a card to be reviewed before approving and that takes about 7-10 days.

Hard to imagine they allow debit cards with little to no security without running verifications

21 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Banks have been in the news recently for exactly what the couple had suggested here, so it seems fair enough and was made slightly tongue in cheek.

The good thing about the matter is that it has been satisfactorily explained.

I am sure the bank had some concerns when they started the investigation, because staff fraud does happen.

And lets be honest, they must be happy that they were found to be in the clear.

A lot happier than the Swedish fella is right now, I am sure, and his wife.

There's an old saying that even a broken clock is correct twice a day.

The fact that this case ended up not having the bank or its staff responsible, based on this news report, doesn't negate all the other cases where the banks, bank staff, and related parties HAVE been found responsible for fraud, theft, etc etc.

Speaking personally, I wouldn't want to trust any Thai bank with a large sum of money if I could possibly avoid it. But likewise, I wouldn't want to keep any large sum of money in a Thai bank where I thought anyone else would possibly be able to access it. Thievery is rampant here and often institutional controls aren't very good.

It's kind of interesting that at least the TVF translation of the Thai article above doesn't ever explain just how the eldest daughter was able to compromise the account. Did she have access to the mother's ATM card and PIN? Did she know their online banking ID and password? Did she go to the bank and forge some kind of documents to gain access?  The answer to that issue would be very interesting to hear.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BestB said:

May well be true what you saying, i use Kbank web shopping card and automatic limit is 0, i personally have to change the limit and to do that, i need OTP. Also i use Ali a lot and surprised to hear they accept debit cards. With credit cards, they require your passport and photo of a card to be reviewed before approving and that takes about 7-10 days.

Hard to imagine they allow debit cards with little to no security without running verifications

Bkk bank Be 1st card, still showing Visa logo. This is the only card I've used for online purchases in Thailand. Actually has Electronic Use Only written on the left side, but fine for online.

Never used a credit card for this, that would be used for larger purchases that require my signature.

2 hours ago, shy coconut said:

Good job

3 examples of nonsense in one post, you even managed to emphasize "Thai"

just in case we didn't know which nationality you dislike.

If you don't like this post, will I go on your ignore list and if so does it work

both ways?

you seem to have a problem. sorry cannot help you. welcome to my ignore list.

21 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

That is a serious shopping spree. 480,000 in a month!

Still, I guess it is easier to make those purchasing decisions, when it is somebody elses money.

Can't even buy a good car for that money; easy to spend.