map of where you live required for visa renewal

6 hours ago, KKr said:

As I thought that would be accurate, printed and signed a marked up Google Map: not accepted.

My better half then drew a map without a ruler and surely not to scale: accepted.

Last month I submitted a copy of Google Map showing the route from my house to Koh Samui Immigration, which also showed the co-oridinates.  They seemed very happy with this!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

submitted a copy of Google Map showing the route from my house to Koh Samui Immigration, which also showed the co-oridinates.

I was specifically asked by IO to provide a map and coordinates in latitude and longitude. I asked what format for latitude and longitude, decimal degrees or minutes and seconds. They didn't know the answer so I just gave them degrees and decimal minutes which they seemed OK with. YMMV.

3 hours ago, bbi1 said:

No they don't.....Not at Chaeng Wattana.

They sure did for me when I extended in late August at Chaeng Wattana.  First time they ever asked after doing 8 previous extension at CW.  Been some other posts recently that CW is now asking for the hand drawn map.

I had printed the map with Google map and immigration Udon denied it because it had to be drawn by hand !!
2 weeks later they phoned me that I must go with a witness because  I live 95 km away  from office; is too far for them, they took pictures of me along with my wife, the witness and 2 officers from the immigration to the back of their kitchen !!!!!!

• Haha 1

Every time I apply for an extension they throw out my lovely print out from Google Maps and insist on me providing them with a sketch that a five year old would laugh at, and done in Biro too no less. One year they did accept a partial scan from a 20 year out of date Thai Ordinance map, where I had put an "X" marks the spot for my home location, only to realise it was about 15KM off the mark, but, at least they were happy.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I have been using a copy of a map that was done several years ago for my extensions without any questions since I have not changed addresses since it was done.

i'm afraid at Nong khai google maps etc is not accepted a new hand drawn map is required annually even lf you're at the same address

This is so important in Thailand.

When you buy goods to be delivered from Index, Power Buy etc. they ask you to draw a map.

It makes sense as they don’t have a street directory to look up your location.

Back home you write your address and look it up in the street directory, you cant do that here.

7 minutes ago, VYCM said:

This is so important in Thailand.

When you buy goods to be delivered from Index, Power Buy etc. they ask you to draw a map.

It makes sense as they don’t have a street directory to look up your location.

Back home you write your address and look it up in the street directory, you cant do that here.

We've purchased a lot of goods lately as we recently moved to Nan and are building a house at Pua. We have a Google Maps sourced picture of each address in the wife's iPhone photos. We send the appropriate one to the vendor via Line and to date all have accepted them and managed to find our leased home in Nan or the building site near Pua.

9 minutes ago, BoganInParasite said:

We've purchased a lot of goods lately as we recently moved to Nan and are building a house at Pua. We have a Google Maps sourced picture of each address in the wife's iPhone photos. We send the appropriate one to the vendor via Line and to date all have accepted them and managed to find our leased home in Nan or the building site near Pua.

yes, understood. I've been drawing maps for 15 years.

I have, over the recent years given my GPS coordinates, they still seem to get it wrong.

For the past 5 years I have used a file saved on my PC which is an upright A4 sheet with google map (top) and Sat map (below) & an arrow pointing to my house w coordinates at the other end.

To further 'ice-the-cake' I have a separate linear map in reserve showing the route from my house to the Imm Office (others using same office have been asked but not me...yet!

Having grown up on Blue Peter i'm buggered if I'm going home empty handed simply because some muppet's on a power trip.

Image result for blue peter heres one

They seem to ask this of people on extension of stay for marriage and it is also required of migrant workers here on L-A visas - both for the initial visa and for extension. I have no experience of B visas, Ed visas etc.

My local IO was perfectly happy with downloaded map from Google Maps.

26 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

They seem to ask this of people on extension of stay for marriage and it is also required of migrant workers here on L-A visas - both for the initial visa and for extension. I have no experience of B visas, Ed visas etc.

My local IO was perfectly happy with downloaded map from Google Maps.

For B visa and extensions based on employment I think the company provides a map to the place of work and a map to your residence isn't required.

Edited by MARK74

when I was there two weeks ago for my retirement visa was asked the same draw a map of the location of my Condo ect 

Drew  the main road plus the  Soi  and location of Condo name  floor and room number 

took about 5 minutes  accepted no problem 

will print a better version off  next visit in a years time  

19 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Yes every time for the past 3 yrs or so. Its so they know where you are and can come visit if they are in the area. I have had two "drive-by" over the years.

The address doesnt really help in rural locations as there is no logical sequence to locations, a map directs them to your door.

same here, have been doing it every time to renew my extension

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I have been using a copy of a map that was done several years ago for my extensions without any questions since I have not changed addresses since it was done.

I also made a copy of google maps and have been using the same copy for the past 3 years, they accepted it without any comments

I had to.

I got creative , and on the corner just before my place I drew a cartoonish big house with a buffalo in the front yard.

The Immigration officer had a wry grin at my 'art work'.

After a grunt he said , "Is this kwai ( buffalo ) ?? " and pointed at the buffalo.

I smiled and said , "Yes. IS the stoopid falang who make this big house for lady Bar."

He let out a laugh , and  thought this very funny  for quite a while , and even passed it around to the other IO's who all thought it good old giggle.

My trips to that office have always been more pleasant ever since  ...

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Manfredi said:

I have never been asked this for years.  have heard people other cities than Bangkok mentioning this but never in Bangkok immigration?

Last week I got an extension  of stay at Bangkok CW based on retirement and they watched me draw a map to my place and fill out two sheets of paper about where I lived and what I was doing in Thailand. 

• Confused 1

Yes for the last 6 years as well as a google map with a bullet point and grid references. It’s called paper chase they must have tons and tons of wasted paper in their files which no doubt will end up polluting the world by burning it or landfill.

6 hours ago, MARK74 said:

"Anyone have been asked to draw the map of his residence location?  what is the purpose of asking of this while the address is in all documents?"

I assumed the obvious according to the above

I am not on Ed visa.  I am on retirement visa and I was there for the annual extension.  I have never been asked any map of anything for years.  this is the first time, that is why I am asking if this is becoming a new request in Bangkok change wattana office.  they never did before.

Just now, Petchou said:

I am not on Ed visa.  I am on retirement visa and I was there for the annual extension.  I have never been asked any map of anything for years.  this is the first time, that is why I am asking if this is becoming a new request in Bangkok change wattana office.  they never did before.

I had assumed you were doing a yearly extension and not ed or tourist stuff. I am not retired but reading the thread it seems some are saying the same as you, that now they have started asking retirees for the map. It seems this has been required in other offices for some time. For marriage it has always been that way. in CW. I thought retirement visas had to do the same but apparently not until recently for some. It's no big deal. I am sure it's just to help IO's locate your place should they need to visit you.

One main reason for maps rather than just house number and Soi number comes from the way house numbers are/were allocated.

If a plot was divided into 200 building plots then the first plot sold would get number 1. The second plot sold would get 2 even if it was 400 metres away on the same Soi, and so on, so the plot next to number 1, if sold last, would be number 200 so a map means that you don't have to check every plot number on the way down the Soi. ( The house next door to us is 20 different from ours. )

Not sure if this still happens in new builds/plots.

Edited by overherebc