Huge Dongtan Beach - Thappraya Road construction area?

funlovinkid

Living in the Jomtien Beach area as I do, most of the locals around here are aware of the road construction along Dongtan Beach, which is changing what used to be a brick pathway into a true concrete roadway.  At the moment, the southern end of the construction is finished (where Dongtan Beach meets Jomtien Beach, at the police station).  But the northern portion is still unfinished, and currently under construction to finish the roadway up to the government building where the sea rescue boats are stored.  In walking along the construction area last night, I encountered a large opening in the wall along the path which is the entrance to what may turn out to be a huge construction project.  Inside the wall, a temporary office/guard house has been constructed, and some other stuff indicating the beginning of a construction project.

This particular piece of property is huge, spanning completely to Thappraya Road.  Based on a quick look at Google maps, it's the last large piece of undeveloped property in the area.  I can't help but wonder if something major is in the works (like a Central shopping mall).  Attached are some pics.  In the satellite map photo, the blue dot represents the location of the entrance opening through the wall described above.  The other pics show the temporary office and some of the equipment inside the wall.

It's possible that all this is intended simply to be used for the road/sidewalk construction currently under way - but I can't help but wonder.  Does anyone know anything about this?  I couldn't find anything here on TV, or Google either, for that matter.  If a major construction project is planned for this land, it could seriously affect the living conditions and quality of life in this beach area.

Screenshot_20181030-183409_Maps.jpg

20181030_184611.jpg

20181030_184619.jpg

Edited by funlovinkid
  • Like 1

That plot was posted about a long while ago, it's around 20 rai & eventually it was/is going to be turned in something.

Traffic on Thappraya & Jomtien will be a proper nightmare not forgetting that the market on 2nd rd (Rompo?) is evicting everyone in March 2019 as their leases are up & it is supposedly also being redeveloped.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SidJames said:

That plot was posted about a long while ago, it's around 20 rai & eventually it was/is going to be turned in something.

Traffic on Thappraya & Jomtien will be a proper nightmare not forgetting that the market on 2nd rd (Rompo?) is evicting everyone in March 2019 as their leases are up & it is supposedly also being redeveloped.

I wasn't aware of the plans for Rompo Market, thanks for passing that along.

• Like 1

Over the last 10 years I've heard all sorts of stories about that plot and why it has never been developed. "Owned by some warring family whose members cant agree with each other." "Owned by someone who is so rich he doesn't care." "Owned by a Wat." "No one knows who owns it (seems unlikely)."

One day it will surely be developed into something though, and that was the main reason why I decided against possibly buying a condo on that side of VT5, and also one reason why I didn't fancy  Grande Caribbean. If ever it does become a shopping mall with a decent large supermarket I will be pleased as I can walk to it from where I live and the traffic wont be a problem for me.

Edited by KittenKong
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, funlovinkid said:

I wasn't aware of the plans for Rompo Market, thanks for passing that along.

See the sign on the main road:

line_1519198310463.jpg.0c8f7935dd01c01df

I think that only relates to the part where the bars are though, and not the part on the left-hand side where the wet market is. But I could be wrong.

Edited by KittenKong
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was looking at the houses in the area and noticed the road to the beach is plied constantly by tour buses carrying the Chinese. Took an instant pass. I'd guess construction there would be related to placing the ants in some nest.

On 10/31/2018 at 12:41 PM, KittenKong said:

See the sign on the main road:

line_1519198310463.jpg.0c8f7935dd01c01df

I think that only relates to the part where the bars are though, and not the part on the left-hand side where the wet market is. But I could be wrong.

You're not wrong.

On 31 October 2018 at 5:28 PM, newnative said:

My partner says the land is owned by 2 owners. The land closest to the beach is owned by Land & House, the developer of Terminal 21.  The larger plot along Thappraya is owned by Channel 3.  

My partner says it's owned by King Power who will develope it in the future. 

27 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Urgh. That'd mean perpetual tour bus jam on the soi leading there. Pretty much worst case scenario.

27 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Urgh. That'd mean perpetual tour bus jam on the soi leading there. Pretty much worst case scenario.

Just been informed it's gunna be a mosque. With very loud speakers. 

To me, the photographs appear to show the same vehicles, materials, and portable office that were used for Phase 1 of the beachwalk project. So, probably not related to the inevitable development of those two large connected plots. Let's hope that's true.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, mahjongguy said:

To me, the photographs appear to show the same vehicles, materials, and portable office that were used for Phase 1 of the beachwalk project. So, probably not related to the inevitable development of those two large connected plots. Let's hope that's true.

That was my thought too.