Cost me 5000 to extend my VISA for 2 weeks

2 hours ago, JonBreadMan said:

Thanks for all your help, yes it was the one outside before you go in, I have used them many times in the past for 100/200 BHT (I lived for over 2 years before in Pattaya) I know not to use again, and will warn others. I knew I could do a VISA run for about 3000, so 2000 extra and no worry about walking over the boarder (that I remember doing before) and all day stuck in a mini van to me was worth it....just

Have to say I did not like the scare tactics they used, 'you can try your self at the desk, but you will get a larger fine if not registered' almost walked out then, well hobbled out.

Next time I will go my self next day after landing to register, or look at getting a longer VISA from UK before I fly.

Same here, but she or the company she works for has turned into some greedy <deleted>, same like most agents. They always smile and pretend to help you but they are only helping them selves.

As long as your numbers are Thai baht, that sounds O.K.   Last year I had some grumpy old bully try to fine me 2,000 THB for reporting late on my 90 days report.  I believe I said "I am not over time and you are not fining me:"  VERY firmly

He referred me to his boss who looked at my passport and decided I really was not out of time and kindly decided to "let you off this time!!!!!!!!!!!  But next time we will fine you."   

I was almost disappointed as I had been warned these two had been transferred from another branch for corruption.   I know all the staff in the main office next door real well and I couldn't lose. Never seen either of them again in that branch either.

The lesson is that some of them will try will try it on some times of they think they can get away with it.   And you probably looked vulnerable.  If you have receipts you may be able to do something.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, German farang said:

Maybe I'm a bit naive or just unaware, so please may someone can explain me please clear;

Many thanks in advance.

When I enter the country I give / write my correct residence address onto my arrival card. I do the same in any embassy when apply for my visa & on the immigration when I take an extention too. It's always the same address (condo of my GF).

Never anyone (specially at the immi) asked me for any report where I stay.

Now following theoretical case:

What when somewhere in the public any immi &/or police guys asking about such report?

Which law says that I have to waste one entire day after arrival to visit the immigration - just to tell them what already is documented???

Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom
must comply with the following :
1. Shall not engage in the occupation or temporary or employment
unless authorized by the Director General. or competent official deputized by the
Director General . If , in any case , there is a law concerning alien employment
provided hereafter , the granting of work privileges must comply with the law
concerned.
2. Shall stay at the place as indicated to the competent official.
Where there is proper reason that he cannot stay at the place as indicated to the
competent official, he shall notify the competent official of the change in
residence , within 24 hours from the time of removing to said place.
3. Shall notify the police official of the local police station where such
alien resides, within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival.
In the case of
change in residence in which new residence is not located the same area with the
former police stations , such alien must notify the police official of the police
station for that area within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival.

2 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

As long as your numbers are Thai baht, that sounds O.K.   Last year I had some grumpy old bully try to fine me 2,000 THB for reporting late on my 90 days report.  I believe I said "I am not over time and you are not fining me:"  VERY firmly

He referred me to his boss who looked at my passport and decided I really was not out of time and kindly decided to "let you off this time!!!!!!!!!!!  But next time we will fine you."   

I was almost disappointed as I had been warned these two had been transferred from another branch for corruption.   I know all the staff in the main office next door real well and I couldn't lose. Never seen either of them again in that branch either.

The lesson is that some of them will try will try it on some times of they think they can get away with it.   And you probably looked vulnerable.  If you have receipts you may be able to do something.

Let you off this time while you didn't do a thing or weren't breaking any rules.

Thai people are so bloody <deleted> up it's truly unbelievable.

Thank god I haven't dealt with any corrupt immigration officers without agreeing to it upfront.

I was arrested a few months ago, driving under influence and they demanded 20,000 baht. I told them to go <deleted> themselves as the typical fine is 5000 baht. They threatened to throw me in prison and I said okay PAI (GO).

While in the police station I lit a cigarette without asking. They said: NO SMOKE, I replied: OKAY, WE GO OUTSIDE.

And outside we went ????

Obviously, I offered the officer that went with me a cigarette and we had a 5-minute break. We went back in and I asked to go to the toilet, they allowed me to do so and when I came back I asked for a water, which they gave me.

I was in a good mood and pushing my luck. Multiple times they threatened me with prison and I kept on saying PAI LEEUW, and they kept on demanding 20k baht.

At some point, I got tired of it and told them 3500 baht is all I have so either take it or leave it. They didn't respond.;

Then one officer grabbed me by my arm and said you go prison and I said okay let's go, outside he asked me how much you pay, once again I repeated 3500 baht. He frowned for a minute and said okay GIVE ME. So I handed the 3500 and he handed me my car key and home I went.

That's just Thailand you know, and all those silly expats, retirees, moral knights have no clue about the country they are living in. I could literally write a book about my life in Thailand but I think it's better to wait till i find residence in another country ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, AYJAYDEE said:

Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom
must comply with the following :
1. Shall not engage in the occupation or temporary or employment
unless authorized by the Director General. or competent official deputized by the
Director General . If , in any case , there is a law concerning alien employment
provided hereafter , the granting of work privileges must comply with the law
concerned.
2. Shall stay at the place as indicated to the competent official.
Where there is proper reason that he cannot stay at the place as indicated to the
competent official, he shall notify the competent official of the change in
residence , within 24 hours from the time of removing to said place.
3. Shall notify the police official of the local police station where such
alien resides, within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival.
In the case of
change in residence in which new residence is not located the same area with the
former police stations , such alien must notify the police official of the police
station for that area within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival.

A while ago i didn't read section 37 completely as well and made wrong assumptions.

You missed this part: "The provision of (3) and (4) shall not apply to any cases under Section 34 by any conditions as prescribed by the Director General. "

Section 34 is anybody entering Thailand legally.

So Section 37 (3) doesn't apply to most people on Thaivisa, it's imho made for for example stateless people.

I think Section 37 (2) is what the arrival card is for. In theory if you stay at another place than indicated on the arrival card you would have to notify them (using a TM28 form), but nobody checks this.

19 minutes ago, jackdd said:

A while ago i didn't read section 37 completely as well and made wrong assumptions.

You missed this part: "The provision of (3) and (4) shall not apply to any cases under Section 34 by any conditions as prescribed by the Director General. "

Section 34 is anybody entering Thailand legally.

So Section 37 (3) doesn't apply to most people on Thaivisa, it's imho made for for example stateless people.

I think Section 37 (2) is what the arrival card is for. In theory if you stay at another place than indicated on the arrival card you would have to notify them (using a TM28 form), but nobody checks this.

ah, thanks ! makes good sense. but I dont really grasp the phrase "by any conditions etc". if it just ended at 34 I would have more faith in it!! Maybe the translation is bad and it really says "for any of the categories prescribed by the director general" ????

Edited by AYJAYDEE

• 1 month later...
On 11/1/2018 at 7:54 PM, JackThompson said:

The ordinary fine for not doing a TM-30 is 1600 Baht at that office, per prior reports.  I am surprised it was not 1600 at the TM-30 desk, then 1900 at the Tourist-extension-desk.  Did you pay 5000 all at once to one person?  If so, at which desk?

Either you, or the owner of where you stay, must do a new TM-30 report every time you move to a new location for 1-night plus - the law stating 24 hours to do so, but Jomtien generally allowing 3 days to report.  Best to ask for a printout as proof, if your landlord/hotel does this reporting online.

I read that one doesn't need to report if you just travel to another province for a few days.

I've never reported when I go to Bangkok and stayed there for few days before going back to CM.

Who's right and who's wrong

3 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I read that one doesn't need to report if you just travel to another province for a few days.

I've never reported when I go to Bangkok and stayed there for few days before going back to CM.

Who's right and who's wrong

Varies from office to office..... and whether they find out you have stayed elsewhere.

Does the place you stay in BKK submit a TM30 for you?

12 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Varies from office to office..... and whether they find out you have stayed elsewhere.

Does the place you stay in BKK submit a TM30 for you?

Not sure. It is in a tourist hotel where you rent on daily basis and stayed for a few nights.

On 11/2/2018 at 7:01 PM, xtrnuno41 said:

Only if the gf is the owner, if she rents then the owner(landlord) is responsible. The one who is OWNING. 

What happens if the owner lives overseas? How can the owner go to immigration to report? They have to fly to Thailand immediately to report?