730 more foreigners rounded up in nationwide “X-Ray Outlaw Foreigner” crackdowns

webfact

Talking to two separate people last week who have been coming to Thailand for years on a double entry tourist visa. This time both of them were taken away and questioned for about an hour. Nice way to treat legimate tourists. 

Obviously not Chinese looking enough 

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Knocker33 said:

Talking to two separate people last week who have been coming to Thailand for years on a double entry tourist visa. This time both of them were taken away and questioned for about an hour. Nice way to treat legimate tourists. 

Obviously not Chinese looking enough 

Those double entry visas stopped about four years ago 

Here's a situation that might concern me - regarding the "62 for staying in places other than the one reported to the immigration,..."

Let's say I arrive in Thailand on SETV intending to stay for 60 days, get an extension.

I go straight to Pattaya, check in to my accommodation and the landlord does the TM30. So far totally legal. 

After 3 weeks I go to visit my friends home in Khon Kaen for 3 days, then return to the same accommodation in Pattaya as above.

Option 1 - I keep the accommodation in Pattaya for my return (do NOT check out).  Should I go to KK immigration to report my 3 day stay?

Option 2 - I DO NOT keep the accommodation in Pattaya available to me for my return (I DO check out) but return there anyway and check in again.  Should I go to KK immigration to report my 3 day stay?

To me this is not clear.... 

18 hours ago, Darcula said:

At this rate they need to start importing more foreigners from China to deport.

No need as South Korea just sent back 750 Thais for overstaying their visas. Seems like the game is spreading across Asia. TIT for TAT.    Xray outlaw Thai

15 hours ago, OmarZaid said:

They are clearing the land of foreign riff-raff --- that is abundantly clear ....

the question is why?

Make room for more Chinese tourists. 

Haven't you noticed the latest button badge on the uniform bling?

Says, "I love Chinese".

18 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Well, well, well! Two days ago Big Joke told us he had nabbed 99,500 and there were only 500 left nationwide. Yet the official stats of 4,231 seem to be somewhat short of his figure, plus how did they get 730, when there were only supposedly 500 left across the whole country? Surely Big Joke hasn't been exaggerating, or dare I say it, lying to us?

Not exaggerating nor lying - he was just 173% sure that the figures quoted are entirely accurate like every single time until it again appears that some in addition has sneaked into the country containing a unknown number estimated to be (4231 - 500) 3731 aliens...:whistling:

4 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

I could have a stab at various other offences, extortion, prostitution, racketeering , card skimming, drugs, that's the basic, what have I missed???

Playing darts or bridge, to name a couple more, iv'e also been told driving a car without a shirt is also an offence.????

Off topic posts and the replies have been removed.

Posts containing disallowed references to the current government have been removed.

Posts in violation of the following forum rule have been removed:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.

Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

40 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Playing darts or bridge, to name a couple more, iv'e also been told driving a car without a shirt is also an offence.????

It is an offense to drive without a shirt ... if you are not convinced ...try it. It's also very much frowned on to walk around your village without a shirt ...

2 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

It is an offense to drive without a shirt ... if you are not convinced ...try it. It's also very much frowned on to walk around your village without a shirt ...

Yes this goes back to the "its illegal go out in public with out underwear" law.thai_dress_mandate_by_pibunsongkram.png.8c219e931a61f3ec6ba9b2cf9b8a7083.png

Thailand must be glad that Korea deported so many illegal workers recently as now these same people can fill the jobs of all the lower paid, non-skilled labourers that this country is deporting en masse. Pesky Laotions, Burmese, Cambodians, coming here and taking jobs. The poor Thai buggers have to flee the country and go work elsewhere because all the immigrants are taking the best jobs. 

7 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

What? Did you forget the sarcasm emoji? Local Thai fellas are topless all the time around my area, no one cares as it's harmless. Thing about Thai people is they decide that things are offensive when it suits them. Their relatives might swan around all the topless and it causes nah bother. A farang topless and they're calling for ten years re-education so they can learn the delicate ways that are Thai culture. 

13 minutes ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

What? Did you forget the sarcasm emoji? Local Thai fellas are topless all the time around my area, no one cares as it's harmless. Thing about Thai people is they decide that things are offensive when it suits them. Their relatives might swan around all the topless and it causes nah bother. A farang topless and they're calling for ten years re-education so they can learn the delicate ways that are Thai culture. 

No ,,, actually I have to admit that there is one Thai guy in our village who seems to sit around the Security most of the day chatting and showing off his somewhat extended shirtless tummy ... Actually in the twelve years that I have lived here full time I have only very occasionally seen anyone without a shirt in the street ...even the morning 'exercisers' wear shirts. YMMY

19 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Strictly following the law it does not matter where you are checked in, but where you are physically present overnight. As such you should report in KK immigration when you stay overnight there, and then report again when you return to Pattaya. It's been a while since I read that law so I might remember incorrectly but I believe it mentioned staying overnight and 24 hours for reporting. In above case, if you did not report in KK and returned in Pattaya, got stopped and checked in Pattaya, there would be no issue as they would not know you traveled to KK. However if you got checked at friend's home in KK - you'd be fined and so would be your friend or whoever owns that place.

This part has been beaten over and over. I do have a different question though. How does this work with permanent residence? If you have a permanent residence in same province, or if you have it outside the same province?

Immigration told me that if I leave the province, I need to report my residence at the police station like those without PR. However I was told this wasn't needed if moving in same province. Question was if having 2 places to stay - one owned and registered as PR, which is used on the weekends, and another near workplace, to avoid traffic to be used during the week. Is registration needed? In Europe that's sorted out by registering permanent address, and temporary address (1 year) and nothing else is needed. But in Thailand?

And out of curiosity - how would that change if PR was in a different province? Would that mean having to register address every Monday? Don't have that case, just asking if anyone knows.

I am not  sure  your take on that is correct.

My understanding is that if  staying longer than 24 hours  at any  one address the law requires notification to local Imm or Police.

Which makes it a  bit ridiculous in the situation where say on a multiple  day tour where each night accomodation is at a different address but for less than 24 hours at each.

Same for the Hotel or homestay or private address. A stay of  less than 24 hours  does not require a TM 30. Hotels  invariably take a  copy of passports but for as much as any other reason for recourse to  claims for theft or damage with possible interception at  point and time of  exit or registered permanent address.

On the many occasions I have traveled  with my wife any Hotel is happy to  take her  ID and  not mine! Which means  I  personally was never there.

The law does  not require any person  to  notify "leaving" an address so if  questioned about destination during travel there should be no issue either.

How  Tour Group  Operators deal with this  issue would be interesting to know.

1 hour ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I am not  sure  your take on that is correct.

My understanding is that if  staying longer than 24 hours  at any  one address the law requires notification to local Imm or Police.

Which makes it a  bit ridiculous in the situation where say on a multiple  day tour where each night accomodation is at a different address but for less than 24 hours at each.

Same for the Hotel or homestay or private address. A stay of  less than 24 hours  does not require a TM 30. Hotels  invariably take a  copy of passports but for as much as any other reason for recourse to  claims for theft or damage with possible interception at  point and time of  exit or registered permanent address.

On the many occasions I have traveled  with my wife any Hotel is happy to  take her  ID and  not mine! Which means  I  personally was never there.

The law does  not require any person  to  notify "leaving" an address so if  questioned about destination during travel there should be no issue either.

How  Tour Group  Operators deal with this  issue would be interesting to know.

Well thank you and @tomazbodner for the responses.

The law seems clear, but, as so often, the application of it appears somewhat tortuous. (TIT?)

I suppose when I decide to go and see mates and in the unlikely event of being questioned I just say I'm visiting for the day.

If it was a routine (?) check I could show my passport with my visa and date of entry being strictly legal. Even in Pattaya I always have copies of PP/visa in my wallet and/or phone but in over 30 years of visiting Thailand for long and short trips I've never been approached by the police except at a traffic stop for (allegedly) speeding. One of those nice red fun vouchers accidentally folded into my IDP took care of that - smiles all around! On that occasion I wasn't even asked to show PP!

Unless it was a shakedown or I was seriously misbehaving, in reality how likely is it to turn serious?

If the law as you outline it is strictly applied, it will really turn Thailand into a police state, don't you think?

...62 for staying in places other than the one reported to the immigration...

So, what's the deal if you have more than one place of abode? Say you have a condo and your wife has a house and you spend time at both. Do you have to submit both place's info? Last time I asked about this they told me submit either or. I'm aware that in each area the rules can differ to others but was wondering.

Arrested for not doing their 90 day reporting???????? That's a 2000 baht fine, not an arrestable offense. Scraping the barrel for arrests. So if a go and stay in a hotel for a few days am I subject to arrest now????

Archived