730 more foreigners rounded up in nationwide “X-Ray Outlaw Foreigner” crackdowns

webfact

8 minutes ago, Rama said:

Arrested for not doing their 90 day reporting???????? That's a 2000 baht fine, not an arrestable offense. Scraping the barrel for arrests. So if a go and stay in a hotel for a few days am I subject to arrest now????

It is an "arrestable offence". And if arrested the fine goes up to 4,000 baht, plus they can fine you an extra 200 per day until you pay.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/2/2018 at 10:28 AM, mercman24 said:

right from the top to the bargirl they lie out of the hole in their ass, how many times have i heard, * oh my friend not work today, she sick* when you know different ,, ha ha

using a bargirls lack of credibility to characterize an entire country is a bit silly. 

On 11/2/2018 at 3:04 PM, bluesofa said:

I get the impression that might take some time. Immigration will probably have to arrange sting operations for each 'hooker', to ensure that is what they're doing, and how much they charge too.

I volunteer

not to throw a bowl of noodles on the usual Thai bash fest, but couldnt one assume that these fellows arrested for not reporting were long stayers from "undesirable" countries who never did so? As opposed to long term retiree Mick McPint who missed one by a few days?  Or can we assume that the dudes popped for living somewhere else were long stayers from "undesirable" countries who registered in Chiang Mai but were now living in Pattaya, or wherever? Or who weren't registered at all.

I walked into CW to apply for an extension of stay "unregistered" and walked out with a appointment for an extension. Why do I feel that a minor violation by Angus McShag of Newcastle, Izzy Orisnthe from Tel Aviv or Jack Meoff from Tulsa is not going to bring the cuffs, while one by Didier Mbumbo of Cote de Ivoire or Vladimir Ripyouoffskii of Kazan is?

Why cant y'all just do your 90 day reports or whatever and jump through their hoops to stay in THEIR country without complaining. Anybody here know of some poor innocent sod who was torn from the arms of his crying Thai wife and tossed into gaol from missing a report by two days?

Bet Thailand wouldnt have any caravans crashing their border.

On 11/2/2018 at 7:50 AM, dave moir said:

Did he not quote 500 overstayers?!

Now he is claiming "zero" overstayers - with this speed he might end up on the minus side ....:whistling:

Overstaying Visa in Thailand, the number is now ZERO claims ‘Big Joke’

https://pattayaone.news/en/overstaying-visa-thailand-number/

6 hours ago, VBF said:

Well thank you and @tomazbodner for the responses.

The law seems clear, but, as so often, the application of it appears somewhat tortuous. (TIT?)

I suppose when I decide to go and see mates and in the unlikely event of being questioned I just say I'm visiting for the day.

If it was a routine (?) check I could show my passport with my visa and date of entry being strictly legal. Even in Pattaya I always have copies of PP/visa in my wallet and/or phone but in over 30 years of visiting Thailand for long and short trips I've never been approached by the police except at a traffic stop for (allegedly) speeding. One of those nice red fun vouchers accidentally folded into my IDP took care of that - smiles all around! On that occasion I wasn't even asked to show PP!

Unless it was a shakedown or I was seriously misbehaving, in reality how likely is it to turn serious?

If the law as you outline it is strictly applied, it will really turn Thailand into a police state, don't you think?

Despite the  intent of this law to  supposedly assist in ensuring knowledge of  current  whereabouts of  non Thai I  doubt it will ever be applied as  anything as a misdemeanor  offence resulting  in a "fine' unless it  is part  of a composite  case  to  eliminate  the  presence of a  person.

As  part  of  the "chipped"  Passport  technology individuals are supposedly traceable to  same location (  if in possession  of  at  same  location).

Where  is there  no potential  " Police State"  now ?

To  date  Thai  regulations  simply  require voluntary   compliance.

5 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Despite the  intent of this law to  supposedly assist in ensuring knowledge of  current  whereabouts of  non Thai I  doubt it will ever be applied as  anything as a misdemeanor  offence resulting  in a "fine' unless it  is part  of a composite  case  to  eliminate  the  presence of a  person.

As  part  of  the "chipped"  Passport  technology individuals are supposedly traceable to  same location (  if in possession  of  at  same  location).

Where  is there  no potential  " Police State"  now ?

To  date  Thai  regulations  simply  require voluntary   compliance.

Thank you. I'm certainly not going to fret about it or change plans to visit friends, and as I said above, getting examined isn't that likely anyway. I intend to ensure I'm legally within my permission to stay limits - THAT (being on overstay) WOULD worry me!

As to your rhetorical question about Police States; living in UK I can't hardly blink, sneeze or fart without being on camera!  ???? And that AIN'T voluntary!????  I keep being told I voted for it but.......

On 11/2/2018 at 10:08 PM, atyclb said:

if one stays in multiple short time hotels in the same day what is the most efficient way to tell immigration?

On 11/2/2018 at 8:21 PM, Dumbastheycome said:

Or  maybe  consider  the possibility  that media report  versus statement are rorted  for various  reason?

Or even to  consider the  numbers are related to already identified individuals. 

Despite prolific derisional comment it  cannot  be denied  this  person is having  an impact  on  both sides  of  the fence!

Who will have the last laugh?

Well certainly not all those 100,000 dark skinned foreigners.

8 hours ago, Rama said:

Arrested for not doing their 90 day reporting???????? That's a 2000 baht fine, not an arrestable offense. Scraping the barrel for arrests. So if a go and stay in a hotel for a few days am I subject to arrest now????

No.  The hotel or airbnb operator will be.  It is their job.

On 11/2/2018 at 4:11 AM, pumpjack said:

oh sh*t  !!!!!

im on overstay since 24th october.......flight booked to go home on 6th november.

i have been sick with lung infection.

think ill have a problem at airport ?

Yes

On 11/2/2018 at 1:39 PM, Mikeasq60 said:

How do you think Thailand would react to invaders at their borders like the US will be dealing with shortly? Do you think it would be with open arms like the demorats are crying about? 

I think the Thai government would react exactly the same as Trump. Exagerate the supposed problem and use the ' bad Johnny foreigner ' card in order to distract from the real issues of the day.

18 minutes ago, atyclb said:

does the law cover spending the night at a gals condo?   if so i have become a hardened criminal

I'd be getting fitted soon for your prison stripes, if I were you!  :laugh:

But then again, I guess it depends on where your gal's condo is.  In BKK, Immigration generally doesn't seem to care about TM30 reporting by residents / expats.  In other jurisdictions, just the opposite.

Archived