Pattaya Condo and Thai Girlfriend

Rent first and see how the relationship goes. I told my gf that first house or condo goes in my name. Second in yours. Ofc give her 50% if she puts in 50% which she doesn't. Do you give her any money per month. Guess it would be good for her to learn how to save

OP. If this is not a troll post then please buy no condo and never agree to 50 percent loss with anyone that is not your spouse. I have lived in Thailand 3 years and been to Thailand over 10 years. I still get new lessons learned with women and money and what you are asking about doing is a terrible rookie mistake that will cost you financially and emotionally more than it is worth. Rent for a while. You are paying your women a monthly salary I am sure one day you may get tired of that and/or she may find a better offer.  Don’t buy anything and don’t give anything away your first five years. FYI. Your GF is not different and best for you to read the red pill article written on another forum. 

If you are a troll then you must be laughing your ass off at the responses. ????

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

The difference is that the UK people contribute together towards the mortgage payment.

You say that, but it hardly ever happens.

Usually, the woman finds some excuse not to pay half (she earns less, works shorter hours, less overtime, etc.)

Then she will find an excuse to no longer work at all, has to look after the baby, gets ill, loses her job, etc.

If you mean by 'contribute together', he pays 90% and she pays 10%, then I could agree.

Let's face it women all over the world live with a man because he's gonna buy her a free home.

I guess you could find one that's different, but my mates and I never managed to marry one.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, swissie said:

The state of the housing market and the character of the girlfriend may well be both part of the equasion.

Take her to a Notary Public. Set up in writing that if she (the "girlfriend") is still at your side 10 years from now she will get 50% of the condo. Should give her the desired "security".
Chances are, she will leave you tomorrow, looking for "security" elsewhere.

Thai partners are sometimes known to borrow from loan shark or other outlets to finance their spending or gambling  using the ownership of the condo as collateral... 

On 11/2/2018 at 10:35 PM, poanoi said:

its the buyers market more than ever, but take care of yourself

and dont have her own anything of it,

i presume you already pay her on a monthly basis

and if that isnt good enough she can try and find another punter

Yes 

Only o

If your married she gets 50. Currently she gets well let's not ponder

Edited by Media1

54 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You say that, but it hardly ever happens.

Usually, the woman finds some excuse not to pay half (she earns less, works shorter hours, less overtime, etc.)

Then she will find an excuse to no longer work at all, has to look after the baby, gets ill, loses her job, etc.

If you mean by 'contribute together', he pays 90% and she pays 10%, then I could agree.

Let's face it women all over the world live with a man because he's gonna buy her a free home.

I guess you could find one that's different, but my mates and I never managed to marry one.

If the wife works, generally the husband foot all the mortgage , split the everyday household expenses . The wife give some money to HER parents and keep the rest in her nest egg. 

22 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

A silly post?
Buy your own condo and your girlfriend can stay with you as long as YOU like paying for her meals and entertainment. Then dump her and find another. Nobody in their right mind would buy a condo half with a Thai woman unless she paid for it. I’m calling troll.

No troll just a soft gentleman. 

Well, the OP seems to have abandoned the thread and just left everyone else to fight it out regards a time old, ' Does she love me or my money scenario! '

My only question is:- Would you do this with a girlfriend in your own country?

What kind of security would she have if you were not here in the country? 

Yeah I know, that's two questions!

• Like 2

On 11/3/2018 at 12:19 AM, stiggy23 said:

Hi, my main question was related to the state of housing market esp condos in Pattaya and less so about the character validation of my girlfriend. But thanks for your insight. 

State of the housing market can be sussed out by walking in and out of three or four estate agents and googling online. It's not rocket science.

If you didn't want any comments regards your Thai girlfriend, why mention you had been asked to give 50% for her 'security', that obviously means you do want opinions.

What ever you do, don't put the condo in the gf's name - buy in your name only if you must buy. You don't have to be a genius to figure out why she wants her name on it - let me tell you she will be asking you to buy her out in no time at all after she has left you. As for buying a condo at all, I would advise 100% against. They are a bad investment in thailand, a pain in the neck to let if you want to move and rent (as you will want after the gf rips you off), and there are all sorts of anti-foreigner restrictions about willing a condo to another foreigner. Its a renters market.   It takes a few years to decide how you want to live here. Your gf will be short term - she's just failed the love you test -she's gaming you. If you lose her because you do not buy the condo in her name, good riddance. If you put her name on the title, you will lose her and double pay for her half the condo (by court order). These girls know the game well. Don't be a fool. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, barmatt said:

I cant see the problem if your girlfriend will pay 50% of the condo but if she expects 50% for nothing and live there for free then get another girl. Its your money not hers. 

Where would the girlfriend get the money for 50% of the condo from?

22 hours ago, scorecard said:

Maybe you could tell her that it will be / could be a step by step arrangement:

- You buy, your name only on the chanut.

- Tell her that you respect your family at home and if you die they must receive some benefit.

- Tell her that at a later time you will decide what % of ownership goes to your family at home

and what % might go to her.

- Tell her the above is not negotiable and refuse to discuss it further. If she votes with her feet

there's a lesson for you.

Why should a Thai lady care about some farang's family at home? 

21 hours ago, dsj said:

Another thing you have to worry about is the foreign quota when you go to sell it, if it's 100% in your name then you can sell it to anyone (foreigner/Thai), but if your girlfriends name is on it, owns 50% of the condo, and the foreign quota has already reached 49% for the whole building, then your only option is selling sell it to a Thai.

You can always tell your girlfriend that.

IF your condo AND the land it's built on is 100% in your name you can sell both to anyone - even a foreigner. Just this condition will never happen. 

6 hours ago, micmichd said:

IF your condo AND the land it's built on is 100% in your name you can sell both to anyone - even a foreigner. Just this condition will never happen. 

That's not how it works with condos. Only the name on the condo chanote is relevant. Normally the juristic person owns the land, and the juristic person is jointly owned by all the co-owners.

On 11/2/2018 at 4:35 PM, poanoi said:

its the buyers market more than ever, but take care of yourself

and dont have her own anything of it,

i presume you already pay her on a monthly basis

and if that isnt good enough she can try and find another punter

Jom Tien as well, there has been a 2 bedroom  for sale in my compound for three years started out at 4.2 Mill, because he made "many upgrades and european furniture"  no takers, he now lists it at 2.8 Mil because he wants to go back to Finland  2d floor in front of pool.  When I get home net week, I'll offer him 1.8 cash and see what he does.

To the Op, if you have to "Buy your Girlfriend" with half a condo, she's not a GF, she's a 'hoe'  I'd buy the Condo and live in it myself before I would be blackmailed into giving her 50% of my house..............up to you. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, KittenKong said:

That's not how it works with condos. Only the name on the condo chanote is relevant. Normally the juristic person owns the land, and the juristic person is jointly owned by all the co-owners.

Condo ownership and land ownership are legally separated in Thailand. 

The Thai Foreign Act clearly states that 

(a) all juristic persons must have a Thai majority, 

(b) all juristic persons under foreign co-ownership more than 50 pct are treated as foreigners in Thailand, and 

(c) no foreigner in Thailand may engage in land trade. 

Consequently, the OP will never get hold on Thai land unless he hands over the majority of ownership to Thai nationals. Without such majority of ownership the OP would not be the owner of the land. And a condo built on land which isn't  really his property isn't worth much. Unless he is ready to bagpack his condo and carry it back to the UK. 

I'm fully aware that this sounds ridiculous, and many have complained that this goes against WTO principles. But still it is applicable Thai law. 

Edited by micmichd
Grammar

5 hours ago, micmichd said:

Condo ownership and land ownership are legally separated in Thailand. 

The Thai Foreign Act clearly states that 

(a) all juristic persons must have a Thai majority, 

(b) all juristic persons under foreign co-ownership more than 50 pct are treated as foreigners in Thailand, and 

(c) no foreigner in Thailand may engage in land trade. 

Consequently, the OP will never get hold on Thai land unless he hands over the majority of ownership to Thai nationals. Without such majority of ownership the OP would not be the owner of the land. And a condo built on land which isn't  really his property isn't worth much. Unless he is ready to bagpack his condo and carry it back to the UK. 

As I mentioned, the Juristic Person owns the land and the co-owners own the Juristic Person proportionately. Only 49% of a condo can be owned by foreigners therefore the land remains in majority Thai ownership of 51% or more. I own my condo and I also own a percentage of the Juristic Person and hence an identical percentage of the land on which the building sits. I cant point to my bit of land, but that doesn't matter because the whole plot is jointly owned, just like the elevators and corridors, and the swimming pool, gardens and car park. I cant point to my bits of those either, but they do belong to me. And even if my building fell down I would still own my percentage of the entire plot on which it is built.

All Thai laws are respected.

Thanks guys, sorry havent been able to check the forum post my initial couple of posts. I appreciate people have listed their views as per their experiences. I have decided to buy the property 100% in my name only. Better safe than sorry !! I am looking to buy the condo near the pattaya memorial hospital overlooking the sea.. given it is a buyer's market, I feel compelled to throw in an offer of 30% under asking.  see how the cookie crumbles ..

• Like 1

On 11/3/2018 at 7:43 PM, 4MyEgo said:
On 11/3/2018 at 6:54 PM, VYCM said:

He not interested where you would buy, he wants to live in Pattaya with his girlfriend.

There are far better places in Thailand to buy and they are not Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai

Now the girlfriend, would you give your girlfriend back home 50% of a property you bought??????

Let her know your culture and to respect your culture. You’ve been brought up not to give your hard earned money away willy nilly.

It’s all about the 3 L’s, location, location, location. I have bought a few properties in Pattaya, I’m still living in the same housing estate I bought back in 2003. I’ve seen a lot of cheap stuff which is difficult to sell when the time comes. Best thing to do is go and annoy the agents, ask questions. I personally like the south Pattaya / Jomtien areas

That is the biggest mistake people make, i.e. listen to real estate spill, the 3L's, location, location location.

It's highest and best use, not location, location, location, although being in a neighbourhood within close proximity of shops and infrastructure can add value when reselling, but highest and best use walks all over any location, i.e. would I want to live in a condo with water views or a house owned under a copnay structure in Thailand which is zoned for future condo's if amalgamated with the adjoining site/s, the value speaks for itself, no doubt there would be lots of change left after the sale of the site to buy a few condo's with water views, if that's what you prefer, or reinvest it into another project that you can live in and make much more money over the 3L's. 

I didn’t say listen to the real estate, I said annoy them. Ask questions then make your own judgement.

Your post said nothing that would help the guy, all you did is try to attack my post.

This guy is new to town and would like feedback, he is here to buy and doesn’t want to hear your moans and groans - “I am a firm believer of never being chained down”, why did you bother writing this?

Location is the most significant factor to property in Pattaya, I’ve seen a lot of housing sold on the Dark Side (east Sukhumvit Road) and most times you can’t sell because of location.

BTW, what were you trying to say – water view, change left over, reinvest another project – what is this?