Dept. Land Transp. Frustrations

Hello again,

Frustrating morning. Three things:

1) Foreign license 'required'

Well, I went to the DLT in Bangchak this morning, hoping to get a motorbike license.

I presented everything that was recommended by one list I came across on the web: passport & copies of relevant pages, affidavit of residence, medical certificate, current Thai (car) driver's license.

The woman says, 'Where's your foreign drivers license.' I say I don't have one, which is true. She says then I'll have to make an 'appointment for foreigners,' and shows me the appointment book, saying the next available time is NEXT YEAR. Again, I show her my valid Thai driver's license. I tell her I think she's wrong, but leave without making a fuss. I'm not interested in making an appointment for next year. 

Actually, the main reason I got a Thai driver's license (which I also did in Bangchak, around 2010), was that I hadn't made it back to the US in time to renew my license there. At that time I (obviously), didn't need to present a valid US license.

Anyhow, after getting back home today I searched a bit more on the web and did find a couple sites where they said you need to have a foreign license (and/or international license?).
So, have the requirements changed? I still have my California license, but, of course, it's expired. Is there a way around this? Can I just go get an international license (using my Thai license), as a way to placate her? Did I just get the wrong lady, and maybe a different one would let me through? Should I go apply in Pattaya or elsewhere?

2) Thai helper, form?

When I got my auto license there in 2010, as I recall, everything went smoothly. That was a while ago, but it seems like filling out any required form was not a problem (like maybe they had a bilingual Thai/English form? Or did I have someone help me fill it out beforehand??).

Today when I walked in I saw everyone grabbing this (attached), 2-sided form from a counter, then getting in line for the Information counter. So, I also grab one of the forms (there was no English version or completed example in sight). I can read some Thai, but would need help to fill it out correctly.

Well, I now have the form and can get someone to help me fill it out. But, do you think I'd better have a Thai go with me next time, as well? Last time it wasn't necessary, but....

3) Also, one online list said to bring 2 photos. But when I got my driver's license, they had a camera that put your photo on the license digitally. So I think no need?

Thanks again.

1.png

2.png

19 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

If you don't have a valid foreign drivers license for motorbikes then you have to go through all the training and tests and recently many DLTs are booked out for weeks if not months. That's why she asked you for your foreign license as then they could issue you a Thai license without going through 90% of the other steps and it wouldn't take so long. Having a car drivers license does not really help you when getting a motorcycle license, that makes sense imho. How would they know you can ride a bike? Otherwise they could just make a general driver license without being car or motorcycle specific. I don't think the lady was wrong.

Now here comes the trick. Since the DLTs became so overbooked, private third party driving schools have started offering classes (and tests?). Honda for example offers these in their Safety Riding Parks (in major cities). You go there for two days I think and get a certificate that you passed their course and armed with that you march to the DLT and don't have to book a slot in their course system. Should be much faster.

While it definitely seems sensible, this is the first I've heard you actually need to go through training to get a bike license.

A few weeks ago I started a thread here saying that I already had a Thai auto license, wanted a motorbike license, and what do I need to do?

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1056853-have-thai-car-license-now-aiming-for-motorbike-license/?tab=comments#comment-13354999

No one mentioned the need for training sessions. One guy said, "Walk in the park.. just make through the video presentations."

I also watched some videos online of the procedure, including people riding their bikes on a very simple test course, and there was no mention of training. Huh.

12 minutes ago, OliverKlozerof said:

No one mentioned the need for training sessions.

The joys of internet forum. Where anyone who has a keyboard can post whatever they want. True or not.

As eisfeld says above what is required - and he knows bikes.

• Like 1

I think the fine for riding a bike without licence is now 1000 baht or .40 bucks Australia. dollar.

So you better do the sensible most reasonable thing and waste days, pay thousands of baht for testing and Thai license. And accept the frustration along the way.

In practical reality you could be stopped and fined a couple times a year or maybe not at all.

• Like 1

In the other thread you ask

5. Having a Thai car license already, will I have to take the written test again?

And the answer was Yes

As you don't have motorcycle entitlements on your foreign licence or a Thai motorcycle licence you have to do the whole motorcycle test.
If you had motorcycle entitlements then it would be much easier to "convert" the licence...just need to do the eyesight and reaction tests.

Well, a couple months ago I watched the video below of an Asian-American guy going through the process at Bangchak. I'd forgotten that he had to make an appointment, but at that time it seems appointments could be had the next day, and he did say he thought if you got there before 8:30am (which I did), that maybe you wouldn't need an appointment. (Now apparently they're booked into next year!) 
He'd made an earlier video about getting a Thai auto license and did mention in that one that having a valid US license made the process easier. But he didn't mention you needed a valid foreign license to get a motorbike license here. In fact, he said he had no motorbike certification on his US license...but was still able to get the Thai bike license. Because he failed to get better than 45/50 on the written test the first day (and because it was after 2pm they wouldn't let him try again the same day), he had to come back the next day. (I've been drilling on the online test, which I did have to take twice in 2010, at http://thaidriving.info and have it down.) I've also been practicing the bike moves (slalom, drive on a line, etc.), and feel I have that down. So, I thought, having all my documents in order and showing up early, I could nail it in one day; two days would have been acceptable. (Then he had to come the day after passing the written test to take the riding test. So the whole thing actually took him 4 days!) Actually, there appears to be no "training" other than watching a long video with a study book. 

T

Edited by OliverKlozerof

1 hour ago, stud858 said:

I think the fine for riding a bike without licence is now 1000 baht or .40 bucks Australia. dollar.

So you better do the sensible most reasonable thing and waste days, pay thousands of baht for testing and Thai license. And accept the frustration along the way.

In practical reality you could be stopped and fined a couple times a year or maybe not at all.

But your insurance would be INVALID. Please don't hit MY car.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, OliverKlozerof said:

While it definitely seems sensible, this is the first I've heard you actually need to go through training to get a bike license.

A few weeks ago I started a thread here saying that I already had a Thai auto license, wanted a motorbike license, and what do I need to do?

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1056853-have-thai-car-license-now-aiming-for-motorbike-license/?tab=comments#comment-13354999

No one mentioned the need for training sessions. One guy said, "Walk in the park.. just make through the video presentations."

I also watched some videos online of the procedure, including people riding their bikes on a very simple test course, and there was no mention of training. Huh.

2 hours ago, OliverKlozerof said:

Ahaha, goint through a "training" ????

(what's up with that smiley !? it's huge!)

I get my DL 4 years ago, didn't had any license same as you, so i did all the tests no driving training required for motorcycle DL, you go straight to the test track, you'r not training at any time before, there's probably some optional courses, but if you chose to you can just go straight to the exam (unless the process changed since 2014?)

If i remember properly, once you got all your paper ready and booked the appointment at the DLT ,the "tests" orders are somewhere like that :

1) Color test (20 sec test)

2) Depth perception test (20 sec test)

3) Watch a 1Hr video about traffic rules etc, sometime you have policeman popping in the room and talking about road safety.

4) Grab a book at the DLT and learn about the traffic rules, then go test, you can try 2 times per day until you got it right.

If you fail, you'r able to view your incorrect answers at the end of the test, keep that in mind, there's not 1 million of different questions in there, if you fail 1 or 2 times you'll see it's always the same questions coming back.

5) Once you have your traffic rules test validated, you can go to the drive test track, that's a 2 minutes drive, you'll see most of the people there are coming ... with their own bikes (sure, why not !?)

I just hope they changed the individual screens for the traffic rules test, that was a nightmare when i passed the test about 4 years ago, couldn't see anything on it, failed twice because of that.

Edited by Pepper9187

I should have put "training" into quotes. It is indeed very rudimentary what they do at the DLT. You watch a video, maybe the staff will ask someone a question... that's pretty much it. At the third party schools they put a bit more effort into it from what I've seen. Also Thais have to watch a much longer video than foreigners for some reason. Then there's the tests for eye-sight, reaction times etc and then the written and riding test. A foreign license is *not required* but it will speed things up considerably because they basically translate it to a Thai license and you don't have to do most other things. So, since you don't have any existing motorcycle license, you can either wait for an appointment at the DLT or go to a third party school to speed it up. Those are your choices. Some DLTs are not booked out so much and one can do everything in one day. It all depends on your specific DLT.

Overall it's still way way faster, cheaper and easier than in western countries.

It used to be even easier before without long waiting times but the past 1-2 years things have changed a bit. The written test especially is catching quite a few people off guard now and corruption seems to have decreased somewhat. Personally I think it's all for the better because Thailand desperately has to improve their road fatality numbers and if that creates a temporary amount of delays and problems, so be it. Eventually the system will be better, some day.

• Like 2

Just now, eisfeld said:

I should have put "training" into quotes. It is indeed very rudimentary what they do at the DLT. You watch a video, maybe the staff will ask someone a question... that's pretty much it. At

True, i do remember that the cop asked me something, answer was "phud thai mai dai khrap" i killed the talking right here ! no more questions !

6 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Then there's the tests for eye-sight, reaction times etc and then the written and riding test. A foreign license is *not required* but it will speed things up considerably because they basically translate it to a Thai license and you don't have to do most other things. So, since you don't have any existing motorcycle license, you can either wait for an appointment at the DLT or go to a third party school to speed it up. Those are your choices. Some DLTs are not booked out so much and one can do everything in one day. It all depends on your specific DLT.

Yes, I knew there would be eye test, reflex test, video, driving test, etc., since I did those in 2010 (because I had no valid foreign license). Again, my sticking point this time seems to be her requiring me to have a foreign license (which seems to contradict my getting an auto license in 2010 *without* a foreign license). So, I wonder if using my Thai auto license to acquire an International Driving Permit would appease her?

But it does look like one must have an appointment. So, I wonder: Does anyone know if currently Pattaya or some other area has either instant appointments? Or, even a 1 or 2 day wait might be doable.

BTW, I googled 'honda safety driving park,' and found their site. But apparently they only have these in Chiang Mai and Phuket. Anyone know if Yamaha or some other company has training facilities in BKK?

4 minutes ago, OliverKlozerof said:

Yes, I knew there would be eye test, reflex test, video, driving test, etc., since I did those in 2010 (because I had no valid foreign license). Again, my sticking point this time seems to be her requiring me to have a foreign license (which seems to contradict my getting an auto license in 2010 *without* a foreign license). So, I wonder if using my Thai auto license to acquire an International Driving Permit would appease her?

But it does look like one must have an appointment. So, I wonder: Does anyone know if currently Pattaya or some other area has either instant appointments? Or, even a 1 or 2 day wait might be doable.

BTW, I googled 'honda safety driving park,' and found their site. But apparently they only have these in Chiang Mai and Phuket. Anyone know if Yamaha or some other company has training facilities in BKK?

She must have asked you for your foreign DL because she was confused, you were confusing ????

You walk in there with no appointment and with the expectation to get a D.L "right away", that's only possible if you already have a valid foreign motorcycle driving license (or if you're renewing your thai DL), that's why she keep asking you for your DL and then later understood you had none so you're required to book an appointment.

Doesn't matter if you got a car license, that's a different story, different driving exams i think that even the traffic rules exam is different for motorcycle vs cars, can someone confirm that ? (or not!)

I remember i had to wait 4 month and half to get my appointment ... good luck with yours.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

But your insurance would be INVALID. Please don't hit MY car.

What insurance?

My Thai bank account has a few hundred baht in it. Your insurance will have to pay and then sue me to recover all that I have in the bank.

Strange how things work out in life.  

Edited by stud858
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, OliverKlozerof said:

Again, my sticking point this time seems to be her requiring me to have a foreign license (which seems to contradict my getting an auto license in 2010 *without* a foreign license). So, I wonder if using my Thai auto license to acquire an International Driving Permit would appease her?

Maybe I wasn't clear before so let me try again. A foreign motorcycle license is NOT required.

1. IF you have a foreign motorcycle license (and maybe translation) then you can skip lots of things at the DLT and wont need to wait months.

2. IF you DONT have a foreign motorcycle license then you need to go through the whole process and it'll take time to get the appointment (and a third party school can speed this up a lot).

About the safety riding park: seems like they indeed only have Phuket and Chiang Mai but I was pretty sure they have some rider training available in BKK also. In any case I'm 100% convinced there's some third party driving schools who can be used to speed the DLT thing up. Maybe just ask at the DLT?

• Like 1

To have an "appointment" seems to be different everywhere...

A month ago I assembled my paperwork (all my foreign drivers licences had expired...years ago) and got to DLT in Phetchabun, after lunch, walked out at 3 PM, with new Car and Motorcycle licences, after testing, driving etc. 'Smooth Riding'.

4 hours ago, wgdanson said:
16 hours ago, stud858 said:

What insurance?

My Thai bank account has a few hundred baht in it. Your insurance will have to pay and then sue me to recover all that I have in the bank.

And hopefully you would be deported for intentionally driving without insurance. Would you take this same attitude when driving in your own country?

????sar·casm????
/ˈsärˌkazəm/
noun
noun: sarcasm; plural noun: sarcasms
  1. the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
    "his voice, hardened by sarcasm, could not hide his resentment"
    synonyms: derision, mockery, ridicule, scorn, sneering, scoffing; More

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, laochef said:

To have an "appointment" seems to be different everywhere...

A month ago I assembled my paperwork (all my foreign drivers licences had expired...years ago) and got to DLT in Phetchabun, after lunch, walked out at 3 PM, with new Car and Motorcycle licences, after testing, driving etc. 'Smooth Riding'.

I do not think it is a case of appointments being different at the different offices, I would say that it would depend on how busy each office is. I know that the Khon Kaen office is not as busy as the Bangkok office is so it would be quite easy to do it without an appointment at Khon Kaen because you do not have the same population there as you have in Bangkok.

I just did it last week here in Pattaya. I had a Canadian car license but not a motorcycle license. As a result, it was a two-step process. 

1/ I arrived at 11 am with the required medical report (150 baht) and certificate of residence(300 baht) and passport original and photocopies of visa page and information page and Canadian license. Told to come back at 1 pm for the "educational" video. Most Thais slept or played with their phone. I was at the back of the room and could see nothing. After the viewing, we all proceded to the test area for the colour blind and depth perception tests. All straightforward. Then we paid our fee, had our pictures taken and the Thai car license issued. Out by 4 pm, Thai license in hand. Be patient as there is lots of standing around waiting in a room with air-con that does not work well. 

2/ A couple of weeks later I returned at 1pm with another medical certificate and another certificate of residence (I was told these could not be photocopies they had to be originals) also a photocopy front and back of the Thai license, passport, and photocopies of appropriate pages. I did not need my Canadian license. I was told to file this at 2:30 pm. Repeat the colour vision test and depth perception test but not the instructional video. After filing they told me to return the next morning at 7:45 am and go directly to the test area behind the building. (There was no booking months into the future. Thais and farangs were all tested together). After that, we filed in to complete the e-Test. This was a production as they could only seat 15-20 at a time. This test is not as straightforward as you might think. Poor English translation, funny Thai laws, and multiple correct answers for some questions make things a little tricky. Requiring a score of at least 45 out of 50 questions is a high standard. I feel sorry for those that speak English as a second language. Russians in particular. I STRONGLY recommend Googling and viewing "Thai drivers written test 2018" and watching the YouTube clip. It covers 60 possible questions and was responsible for me scoring 50/50 on the test. There is no doubt I would have failed without viewing. (Many did). That said you can re-sit the test the next day. I was then given a queue number and told to return at 1 pm. I paid the 105 baht fee for the two-year license and had it in my hand and walked out at 2:30 pm. Once again bring plenty of patience and apply deodorant before you arrive in the morning. You must provide your own scooter for the "driving" test but they are available to rent. 

3 minutes ago, Ulic said:

Once again bring plenty of patience and apply deodorant before you arrive in the morning. You must provide your own scooter for the "driving" test but they are available to rent. 

Right, don't forget that one !

So i guess if you live in a small town and or if you're lucky, like you arrive on a day where eventually some people didn't show up, you can go do it straight ... ?

But basically :

Pattaya : 1 DLT for 320,000 people

Bangkok : 5 DLTs for 9,000,000 people (1 DLT for 1,800,000 people) not including all the persons not officially being registered as living in Bangkok but who will still use Bangkok DLTs

8 hours ago, wgdanson said:

And hopefully you would be deported for intentionally driving without insurance. Would you take this same attitude when driving in your own country?

Not against the law to not have insurance, I doubt deportation would occur,  but I'm on your side.  Insurance should be compulsory for everyone on the road, and not just personal injury insurance.

But that would take an authority office to execute a plan.  So not likely to ever happen,  like the compulsory travel insurance for foreigners. chatter 

21 hours ago, stud858 said:

What insurance?

I don’t think that is the way the insurance thing works.

My understanding is the insurance company does not

pay and you are on the hook for all damages when having

an accident without a drivers license.

2 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Not against the law to not have insurance, I doubt deportation would occur,  but I'm on your side.  Insurance should be compulsory for everyone on the road, and not just personal injury insurance.

But that would take an authority office to execute a plan.  So not likely to ever happen,  like the compulsory travel insurance for foreigners. chatter 

You guys have serious issues understanding when people are joking ....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ulic said:

• I just did it last week here in Pattaya. Out by 4 pm, Thai license in hand.

• I STRONGLY recommend Googling and viewing "Thai drivers written test 2018" and watching the YouTube clip.

• Unfortunately, it seems that since I live in BKK that I have to use one of the DLT locations here. But it's tempting to move elsewhere temporarily just to make it easier. I may bite the bullet, go make an appointment for next year and, in the meantime, buy (or rent) and ride a bike with no license.

• I guess you're talking about the video below.  Only watched through a few questions, but contents appears identical to this web page, which allows you to actually take the test and scores you at the end: 

http://thaidriving.info (But, I get tired of looking at the dude's face. ???? )