Register address

No problem in the past, lived at the same address for 5 yrs now turned away because need power of attorney form to be completed by house owner, they have rental agreement, ID card house book already, for gods sake what is wrong with this country!°

What if the house owner is away how can you register address within the 24 hrs???

Do I also need the money stamps?

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1

If the rental contract is in your name you don't need a power of attorney from the landlord.

A rental contract in your name makes you the possessor and you can report yourself for which you obivously don't need a power of attorney.

I would have told them to either accept it as is or insisted on a written statement from them which says that you are not considered the possessor and thus can't report yourself. In case they would ever try to fine you in the future you could present them this statement and tell them to go fine the landlord, because they stated that it's not your responsibility ????

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

If the rental contract is in your name you don't need a power of attorney from the landlord.
A rental contract in your name makes you the possessor and you can report yourself for which you obivously don't need a power of attorney.
I would have told them to either accept it as is or insisted on a written statement from them which says that you are not considered the possessor and thus can't report yourself. In case they would ever try to fine you in the future you could present them this statement and tell them to go fine the landlord, because they stated that it's not your responsibility [emoji6]
I am the renter, never had to do this before!

Which office is this?

I have filed numerous TM30's myself as the tenant in the past, when moving, or returning from a trip abroad, with a copy of the landlords Tabien Baan and ID card. They appear happy just to receive the TM30 as opposed to not receiving one.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I assume you are living in Phuket. That has been a requirement there for about a year.

Not needed if you are traveling within the country. Phuket wants one every time if you if you leave and re-enter the country.

And original Sign from the land lord not copy on every paper. 

5 hours ago, nasa123 said:

The TM30 and its underlying laws are about the obligation of a landlord (or house master, possessor, manager) to report the stay of any foreigner (non-Thai national) in his/her property. 

It appears that with "landlord" you mean what is called "owner" in section 38 of the Immigration Act. Is this so?

5 hours ago, jackdd said:

Correct. For a rented property, section 4 of the Immigration Act defines the house-master as the chief possessor of the property in his capacity of tenant.

The house-master mentioned in Section 38 is the house-master as defined in section 4.

Given that section 38 requires the house-master, ie the tenant, do submit the TM.30, there is no reason why the tenant should be asked by immigration to show evidence, by means of a power of attorney, that the owner, ie the lessor, has authorised the tenant to comply with this legal requirement. The Immigration Act gives the tenant this authority.

5 hours ago, Badrabbit said:

I have lived at the same address for over 5 yrs never needed a power of attorney form so why now?

Because the immigration official with whom you are dealing is abusing his authority. 

Edited by Maestro
Deleted part of the post that has already been answered.

44 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Correct. For a rented property, section 4 of the Immigration Act defines the house-master as the chief possessor of the property in his capacity of tenant.

The house-master mentioned in Section 38 is the house-master as defined in section 4.

Given that section 38 requires the house-master, ie the tenant, do submit the TM.30, there is no reason why the tenant should be asked by immigration to show evidence, by means of a power of attorney, that the owner, ie the lessor, has authorised the tenant to comply with this legal requirement. The Immigration Act gives the tenant this authority.

Tray that in Phuket.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

I didn't see the IO the volunteer told me to come back with the correct documents, never had a problem before now all of a sudden I need power of attorney form!!

Then you should have insisted on talking with an IO, because obviously the volunteer gave you wrong information

35 minutes ago, nasa123 said:

Have you read #18 ? you have all answer from Phuket Immigration there + link.

Have you read this thread? OP was given wrong information from a volunteer before he got the chance to talk with in IO or hand in his correct documents

Edited by jackdd

Have you read this thread? OP was given wrong information from a volunteer before he got the chance to talk with in IO or hand in his correct documents
I'll go back tomorrow with everything yet again, rental agreement, owner ID, owner house paper, now power of attorney form plus my copies, last time 6 months ago I reported my address after returning to Thailand with just the form, arrival card, extension copy and had no problem.

16 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

I'll go back tomorrow with everything yet again, rental agreement, owner ID, owner house paper, now power of attorney form plus my copies, last time 6 months ago I reported my address after returning to Thailand with just the form, arrival card, extension copy and had no problem.

Good but remember to have the signature (Not copy signature) from owner on every singel paper some are about the owner original signature then every thing will be ok. I be in Phuket Town IM for 4 weeks ago and i us 2 days on this chit and i live here for 13 year now and i think this be my last year.