Boot Up Takes 120 Seconds On Core2duo Laptop!

Trevor

Even old Pentium computers were never this slow to boot up! The only non-Windows items I have added, and require at Startup, are AVG antivirus, Spyware Terminator and Skype, plus the touchpad. These remain ticked under msconfig>startup. The rest are unidentifiable, as follows …

Ehtray

Nvcpl

Nwiz

Nvsysrot

SynTPEnh

RTHDCPL

ALCMTR

AGRSMMSG

TPSMain

TvsTray

DLACTRLW

ZCfgSvc

Ifrmewrk

E_S4IOT1

PDVDServ

Language

Jusched

Toscdspd

Msmsgs

Ctfmon

Windows Desktop Search

Which of these can I safely untick to speed bootup? I don’t need Outlook for mail (does anyone these days?), as web-based is easier to use.

Under msconfig>General, I have pre-ticked (default settings) :

Process SYSTEM.INI File

Process WIN>INI File

Load System Services

Load Startup Items

Use Original BOOT.INI

Under msconfig>WIN.INI, I have pre-ticked (default settings) :

; for 6-bit app support

Fonts

Extensions

MCI extension

Files

Mail

MCI Extensions.BAK

Additionally, I have set my processor speed and cooling to maximum for use with mains power. I assume the battery-only settings would make boot-up a little slower?

Thanks for any and all tips to help me bring my boot-up time within reasonable bounds, i.e. under one minute.

Highly recommend you use this link http://www.processlibrary.com/directory?files=Nvcpl

and enter each process at top of page to find out what it is and the risk. The second on your list (above link) is a worm and high risk.

Your link prompts me to spend $29.95 on Registry Booster. Is there a free way to remove the Nvcpl worm? My Spyware and AVG Antivirus failed to pick it up. Anyway, thanks for the tip -- it's an explanation of why my system is running so slowly!

That's how they pay for the site. I would Google on any suspect name and that should lead you to removal options. Often believe it is just removing the "exe" file from your computer when a process. A program as posted in post 2 to remove start up programs may be able to prevent it running even without removal. I did not check further so be sure to check each process as you may have other bad boys.

That's how they pay for the site. I would Google on any suspect name and that should lead you to removal options. Often believe it is just removing the "exe" file from your computer when a process. A program as posted in post 2 to remove start up programs may be able to prevent it running even without removal. I did not check further so be sure to check each process as you may have other bad boys.

Nvcpl seems to be an NVIDIA file to do with graphics, rather than a worm. Anyway, I have unticked it -- along with a heap of other dross -- so it doesn't run on bootup and now my system is running faster. If it was a worm, my AVG antivirus should have picked it up. Thanks for the tip.

Nvcpl seems to be an NVIDIA file to do with graphics, rather than a worm. Anyway, I have unticked it -- along with a heap of other dross -- so it doesn't run on bootup and now my system is running faster. If it was a worm, my AVG antivirus should have picked it up. Thanks for the tip.

That's the problem with not having the extensions viewed. If it was (.dll) then is legit but there is also a worm by that name with the (.exe) extension. Sorry for leading you astray.