Hundreds of foreigners arrested in latest "X-Ray Outlaw" sweep

Jonathan Fairfield

I'm sure if Thai Immigration made 90 day and address reporting a whole easier and less stress full, then more people would be more willing to use the immi facilities, but no, it appears to be more job creative rounding up those that don't, when they could be speeding up the queue's by being in the office's.

And to be honest, the amount of paper work required is a real Joke, some thing the new boss should not have a problem with.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, grumpy 4680 said:

I'm sure if Thai Immigration made 90 day and address reporting a whole easier and less stress full, then more people would be more willing to use the immi facilities,

90 day and address reporting stressful?

The take me usually a whole 10 minutes, from where I enter immigration to where I step out of the door again.

I hear it's even possible online.

22 minutes ago, grumpy 4680 said:

And to be honest, the amount of paper work required is a real Joke, some thing the new boss should not have a problem with.

For at least the past 2 years there is no paper work at all involved in 90 day reporting, while address reporting involves 1 document if I remember correct, because it has to be done only once unless you move every 90 days.

Edited by janclaes47

3 hours ago, monkfish said:
4 hours ago, HappyAndRich said:
Why would I do a tax declaration? I do not own any thing in Thailand. I do not have a work in Thailand. The money I spend today was earned 10 years ago, and the pile is big enough to support me and my family, my wife family and her sisters and brothers for the rest of the time I am alive.

Aside from that. Regarding the TM30, I do not have to do it again if I only travel inside Thailand. I also asked my Immigration Office if I have to run every time I come back from abroad. They said it was enough with one time a year, and they fix that automatically when they see me and check. You know, some guys have all the luck. emoji2.png

Yea If you spend more than 6 months a year in Thailand you are required to pay income Tax

Just a heads up incase you want to really do everything by the book

Being such a well informed chap and not a looser you probably already knew.

25 minutes ago, monkfish said:
3 hours ago, HappyAndRich said:

Yes, If I stay in Thailand more than half year, I will have to pay tax on income that is relevant to that year. Not on income that belongs to the year before and the years before that. I think better you read up on things instead of talking about things you do not have a clue about as it appears. 

Exactly what did I say which was wrong?
I didn't even mention paying tax for the year or years before.

What you said wrong was of course that you tried to inform me about and give me a heads up on tax after I clearly quoted that the earnings was 10 years back in time.

Guess it´s time to wake up and read before you comment more. We do not want more embarrassing halleluja moments, do we?

31 minutes ago, monkfish said:
3 hours ago, HappyAndRich said:

Yes, If I stay in Thailand more than half year, I will have to pay tax on income that is relevant to that year. Not on income that belongs to the year before and the years before that. I think better you read up on things instead of talking about things you do not have a clue about as it appears. 

Exactly what did I say which was wrong?
I didn't even mention paying tax for the year or years before.

What you said wrong was this.

Yea If you spend more than 6 months a year in Thailand you are required to pay income Tax

Income tax has nothing to do with the time you spend in Thailand, but with the income you generate. I spend 365 per year in Thailand, and have no obligation to pay income tax because i don't earn any money

1 hour ago, jonclark said:

Actually it was a poorly written indirect question.

As in "Do you know.....pushing an agenda?"

And one that is still unanswered. But no worries.

Now it is a question, and they always get answered. It was a statement before, and not any strange avoiding clarification from you is needed for that.

The answer is: No, I do not know that, due to that my primary language ain´t English. You know everybody can not come from Mayday Land and Trump States.

13 minutes ago, HappyAndRich said:

What you said wrong was of course that you tried to inform me about and give me a heads up on tax after I clearly quoted that the earnings was 10 years back in time.

Guess it´s time to wake up and read before you comment more. We do not want more embarrassing halleluja moments, do we?

OK fair enough I agree if you living purely on savings alone with no other source income such as Pension then you won't have to pay any income tax.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Income tax has nothing to do with the time you spend in Thailand, but with the income you generate. I spend 365 per year in Thailand, and have no obligation to pay income tax because i don't earn any money

Eeeeh? That was not wrong at all. if you do not earn any income, then you can not pay income tax in any country. i thought that was something that was not needed to explain.

And yes income tax you are obligated to pay in Thailand has all to do with the time you stay in the country during one calendar year. If you stay half year or over half year in Thailand, you will pay your tax on your yearly income here. If you stay shorter than half year, you will pay your income tax in your home country or in the country you have been residing half year or over.

That can sometimes vary, due to certain bilateral agreements and economic agreements between certain countries. The US is one of the examples on a different agreement.

Anyway, if you do not make an income, how can you even consider that somebody is talking about that you should pay tax on something that doesn´t exist? That statement is baffling beyond belief!

Edited by HappyAndRich

12 hours ago, HappyAndRich said:

I am soo amazed by the fine posters on Thai Visa Forum. When they do not enforce the law, you complain very much and it terrible when nothing is being done about it.

When there is something being done about it, then you are stating that they focus on the wrong things and this is so small that they should not care.

I really do think that we should set up an expert panel of all these fine posters, that can act as an advisory board to the Thai authorities.

Listen, you all come to a foreign country and always complain about that you do not get it your way and that things are not up to your standards. I guess that attitude didn´t work in your home countries, so you just started bickering on Thailand instead? It´s even shameful to see and read this pathetic drivel every single day. Yeah, now you can all go together and tell me that I don´t have to read. Please spare me that drivel too.

Remind me your name : happyandrich?

12 hours ago, HappyAndRich said:

I guess that attitude didn´t work in your home countries, so you just started bickering on Thailand instead? It´s even shameful to see and read this pathetic drivel every single day.

The attitude is just funny. Nothing more. They don't realize that they have won a genetic lottery by being born in a wealthy country as a privileged member of the ethnic majority.  In the home country no body cares about what they have to say, but alas, in a foreign land far far away they could at least show their smugness. ????

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

Yea I have to remember that one for the future it's a classic no income = no tax

12 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

We do indeed..but having a nom de ploom "SadandPovertystricken" catches one's attention and the rhetoric is positively Bismarckian-whatever that means..????

A bit of a welcome change from the stupefyingly original "If you don't like it here go home!" crowd.

Bismarckia

getimage.png

• Haha 1

On 11/6/2018 at 9:05 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Of note, the largest number of this group being arrested is for not having reported their address, presumably the TM30 issue...

I'm not so sure. If we presume that this is about the TM.30 form it means that the 105 persons arrested for not having reported their address are house-masters as defined in section 4 of the Immigration Act or owners or possessors of the places where they live and failed to use the form TM.30 to notify immigration of the arrival of foreigners, including themselves, at these places as required by section 38 of the immigration Act.

27 minutes ago, Maestro said:

I'm not so sure. If we presume that this is about the TM.30 form it means that the 105 persons arrested for not having reported their address are house-masters as defined in section 4 of the Immigration Act or owners or possessors of the places where they live and failed to use the form TM.30 to notify immigration of the arrival of foreigners, including themselves, at these places as required by section 38 of the immigration Act.

So how would you interpret the reference in the news report to the 105 people, apparently largely migrants, arrested who had "not reported their address"?  Especially when the article included a different number/group who had allegedly not done their 90-day reports.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

So how would you interpret the reference in the news report to the 105 people, apparently largely migrants, arrested who had "not reported their address"?  Especially when the article included a different number/group who had allegedly not done their 90-day reports.
It's probably best to take the reporting with a pinch of salt. Journalists like to spice things up. No one is being arrested just for not doing a 90 day or TM30 report.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

14 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It's probably best to take the reporting with a pinch of salt. Journalists like to spice things up. No one is being arrested just for not doing a 90 day or TM30 report.

That's not what several successive X-Ray Foreigner raid articles by The National have reported. And the newspaper is just parroting what Immigration is reporting in Thai on their website or Facebook page. So I don't think they're just making up these details.

That's not what several successive X-Ray Foreigner raid articles by The National have reported. And the newspaper is just parroting what Immigration is reporting in Thai on their website or Facebook page. So I don't think they're just making up these details.

I'll believe it when we hear a first-hand account of a foreigner detained just for not doing a 90 day or TM30 report. I would wager that everyone detained so far has been on overstay or committed some other arrestable offence.

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I'll believe it when we hear a first-hand account of a foreigner detained just for not doing a 90 day or TM30 report. I would wager that everyone detained so far has been on overstay or committed some other arrestable offence.

AFAIK, we never seem to hear from any of them after-the-fact because...

a. they're in custody.

b. they get chucked out eventually

c. they're of nationality groups that aren't big TVF posters.

Throughout all these raids, the raw numbers of those arrested predominantly have been local SE Asians, Africans or Indians.

AFAIK, we never seem to hear from any of them after-the-fact because...
a. they're in custody.
b. they get chucked out eventually
c. they're of nationality groups that aren't big TVF posters.

Throughout all these raids, the raw numbers of those arrested predominantly have been local SE Asians, Africans or Indians.
Yeah. I think we'd hear pretty soon if someone was arrested and detained JUST for not doing a 90 day or TM30 report!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

What is the agreement with the US? Do I have to pay income taxes if I bring my prior years savings into the country?

No, that is same over all. I am not up with the numbers, but there is some kind of amount that are free from tax, due to a certain treaty.

Just now, HappyAndRich said:

No, that is same over all. I am not up with the numbers, but there is some kind of amount that are free from tax, due to a certain treaty.

Any link for me to follow it up. I don;t think an American retirees are paying any taxes in Thailand. In US we pay taxes no matter where we live in the world and where the income is earned. Every US citizens are taxed on their world wide incomes, irrespective of their residence. I have already paid taxes in the US, why should I pay tax again in Thailand, I wonder?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Any link for me to follow it up. I don;t think an American retirees are paying any taxes in Thailand. In US we pay taxes no matter where we live in the world and where the income is earned. Every US citizens are taxed on their world wide incomes, irrespective of their residence. I have already paid taxes in the US, why should I pay tax again in Thailand, I wonder?

No, but then it´s the difference you are mentioning. Like i say, I am not up to date on what the differences are, but I know they exist. Then the treaty is that US citizens pay tax in US and not in Thailand. That disregarding how many month you stay.

Edited by HappyAndRich