Fox News: Democrats projected to win control of U.S. House

webfact

Fox News: Democrats projected to win control of U.S. House

2018-11-07T025834Z_1_LYNXNPEEA604S_RTROPTP_4_USA-ELECTION-WISCONSIN.JPG

A supporter is seen wearing a Donald Trump hat at Republican Governor Scott Walker's mid-term election night party in Pewaukee, Wisconsin, U.S. November 6, 2018. REUTERS/Nick Oxford

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Fox News Channel projected on Tuesday that Democrats will win control of the U.S. House of Representatives.

It did not project the margin of victory or elaborate immediately on the basis for its projection.

Fox was alone among U.S. media outlets with the call.

Democrats have been widely expected to pick up the seats needed to wrest control of the chamber from President Donald Trump's Republicans, who were expected to maintain control of the Senate.

Other media outlets said the outcome in the House was leaning in Democrats' favor, but that it was too soon to project a Democratic victory.

(Reporting by Makini Brice and Richard Cowan; Writing by Tim Ahmann; Editing by Howard Goller)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-11-07
  • Like 1

Well the House & Senate results sort of tell us what we already knew; 

Rural America is solidly Republican, hence the Senate pickups.

Urban America solidly Democrat

...and it appears Suburban American is lot less Republican than it was in 2016.

Still off to bed soon, It'll all be over, for better or worse, in the morning Thank God

• Like 1

Republicans retain control of the U.S. Senate - U.S. media

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Republicans will retain control of the U.S. Senate, American media outlets projected on Tuesday, even as Democrats appeared likely to capture control of the House of Representatives.

(Reporting by Lisa Lambert and Roberta Rampton; writing by Tim Ahmann; editing by Jonathan Oatis)

reuters_logo.jpg

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Wouldn't it be nice if there wouldn't be any speculations for a few hours?

Just wait a couple of hours and publish the end results. That saves as all a lot of headache.

I agree, especially given the fact that polls in many  western states are still open. Particularly important in nationwide elections, such as the presidency/vice presidency.

Edited by lannarebirth

6 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

I agree, especially given the fact that polls in many  western states are still open. Particularly important in nationwide elections, such as the presidency/vice presidency.

When I lived in California it used to piss me off that the networks were calling Presidential elections before our polls when even closed.

Now I understand the math, but it almost makes people think, 'why bother to vote at all'

So ditto, I'm all for (I think it's how the French do it) basically not reporting anything on election day, and just report when it's all done

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

When I lived in California it used to piss me off that the networks were calling Presidential elections before our polls when even closed.

Now I understand the math, but it almost makes people think, 'why bother to vote at all'

So ditto, I'm all for (I think it's how the French do it) basically not reporting anything on election day, and just report when it's all done

For national elections, they do not start making projections until all the polls are closed.   These are local elections, so they have started calling them after the polls close.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You must be confused between the senate and the house.

Republicans retain (and expand) on their majority in the senate.

Democrats FLIP the house to democratic control.

BLUE WAVE BABY! 

The house was a NATIONAL ELECTION. Every house representative was running.

The senate was a very LIMITED election, only a minority of senators were running and coincidentally the vast majority were from heavily REPUBLICAN dominated states. 

Not saying it is correct but here is the most recent refresh.

election.jpg

Edited by canuckamuck
I just noticed that this was the Telegraph UK and not fox. I was looking at the wrong window.
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Why play silly games? It's a done deal. 

The democrats have taken over the house.

The question now is how BIG the margin will be.

Also of course will the new majority elect Nancy Pelosi as house leader.

I think that they will with the understanding that it's temporary.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

That's interesting. I just checked Fox and they have Republicans leading for the House.

Read the OP again but slower this time. The word used was "projected" to win. Based on the information they have on hand they are making a prediction of the end result.

1 minute ago, pegman said:

Read the OP again but slower this time. The word used was "projected" to win. Based on the information they have on hand they are making a prediction of the end result.

Thanks Captain Obvious.  Leading would refer to it not being decided yet eh?

Splitting hairs. Wait a few minutes or an hour or so for full confirmation. Really, the question now and it's a big question -- HOW BIG THE MARGIN? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Thanks Captain Obvious.  Leading would refer to it not being decided yet eh?

So let me get this straight. Do you actually think there is any chance in the world that the republicans will retain the house? Don't bother answering. I know you don't. So why bother with games now? 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Democrats capture U.S. House majority in rebuke to Trump

By John Whitesides

2018-11-06T185645Z_2_LYNXNPEEA51DN_RTROPTP_4_USA-ELECTION-TEXAS.JPG

A poll official monitors a polling station as voters cast their ballots for the midterm elections in San Antonio, Texas, U.S., November 6, 2018. REUTERS/Callaghan O'Hare

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democrats rode a wave of dissatisfaction with President Donald Trump to win control of the U.S. House of Representatives on Tuesday, Fox News and NBC News projected, giving Democrats the opportunity to block Trump's agenda and open his administration to intense scrutiny.

In midterm elections two years after he won the White House, Trump and his fellow Republicans were set to maintain their majority in the U.S. Senate, CNN, NBC and ABC News said, following a divisive campaign marked by fierce clashes over race, immigration and other cultural issues.

At last count, Democrats had gained a net 14 of the 23 Republican-held seats needed to capture a majority.

With a House majority, Democrats will have the power to investigate Trump's tax returns and possible conflicts of interest, and challenge his overtures to Saudi Arabia, Russia and North Korea.

They also could force Trump to scale back his legislative ambitions, possibly dooming his promises to fund a border wall with Mexico, pass a second major tax-cut package or carry out his hardline policies on trade.

S&P equity index futures erased most of their gains on expectations Democrats would seize the House.

A simple House majority would be enough to impeach Trump if evidence surfaces that he obstructed justice or that his 2016 campaign colluded with Russia. But Congress could not remove him from office without a conviction by a two-thirds majority in the Republican-controlled Senate.

Democrats in the House could be banking on launching an investigation using the results of U.S. Special Counsel Robert Mueller's already 18-month-old probe of allegations of Russian interference on Trump's behalf in the 2016 presidential election. Moscow denies meddling and Trump denies any collusion.

Tuesday's result was a bitter outcome for Trump, a 72-year-old former reality TV star and businessman-turned-politician, after a campaign that became a referendum on his leadership.

Down the stretch, Trump hardened his rhetoric on issues that appealed to his conservative core supporters, issuing warnings about a caravan of Latin American migrants headed to the border with Mexico and condemnations of liberal American "mobs."

Democrats turned out in droves to register disapproval of his divisive rhetoric and policies on such issues as immigration and his travel ban targeting several Muslim-majority countries.

A record number of women ran for office this election, many of them Democrats turned off by Trump's policy agenda.

The election results mean Democrats will resume House control in January for the first time since the 2010 election, beginning a split-power arrangement with the Republican-led Senate that may force Trump to scale back his legislative ambitions and focus on issues with bipartisan support, such as an infrastructure improvement package or protections against prescription drug price increases.

It also will test Trump's ability to compromise, something he has shown little interest in over the last two years with Republicans controlling both chambers of Congress.

The loss of power will test Trump's political hold on House Republicans, most of whom had pledged their support for him lest they face the wrath of the party's core supporters, who remain in his corner.

Most Democratic candidates in tight races stayed away from harsh criticism of Trump during the campaign's final stretch, focussing instead on bread-and-butter issues like keeping down healthcare costs, maintaining insurance protections for people with pre-existing medical conditions and safeguarding the Social Security retirement and Medicare healthcare programs for senior citizens.

The final weeks before the election were marked by the mailing of pipe bombs to his top political rivals, with a political fan of Trump arrested and charged, and the mass shooting at a Pittsburgh synagogue in which 11 people died, sparking a debate about Trump's biting rhetoric and whether it encouraged extremists.

In the House, Democrats picked up seats across the map, ousting incumbent Republican Barbara Comstock in suburban Virginia and sending Donna Shalala, a former Cabinet secretary under President Bill Clinton, to the House in south Florida.

In the Senate, where Republicans were heavily favoured to keep control heading into Tuesday's voting, Republican Mike Braun captured incumbent Joe Donnelly's seat in Indiana and Republican Kevin Cramer beat incumbent Democratic Senator Heidi Heitkamp in North Dakota.

Some of the biggest Democratic stars of the campaign season were struggling. Liberal House member Beto O'Rourke became a national sensation with his underdog U.S. Senate campaign but fell short in conservative Texas, and Andrew Gillum was trailing Republican Ron DeSantis in his quest to become the first African-American governor of the key swing state of Florida.

Incumbent Democratic Senator Joe Manchin won a hotly contested race in conservative West Virginia, and conservative Marsha Blackburn held a Senate seat for Republicans.

Senators Bernie Sanders of Vermont, a 2016 Democratic presidential contender, and Tim Kaine of Virginia, Hillary Clinton's vice presidential nominee in 2016, easily won re-election, news networks projected. Democratic Senator Sherrod Brown was projected to hold his seat in Ohio.

All 435 seats in the House, 35 seats in the 100-member Senate and 36 of the 50 state governorships were up for grabs.

(Reporting by John Whitesides; Additional reporting by Susan Heavey, Steve Holland, Roberta Rampton, Eric Beech and David Alexander in Washington, Julio Cesar Chavez in Texas and John Peragine in Iowa and Sharon Bernstein in California; Writing by John Whitesides and Alistair Bell; Editing by Frances Kerry, Will Dunham and Howard Goller)

reuters_logo.jpg

Here is the first paragraph of the OP which refers to projected  win not leading, eh. Please stop embarrassing us.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Fox News Channel projected on Tuesday that Democrats will win control of the U.S. House of Representatives.

Leading was the word I used in my own comment which you quoted. I am not embarrassed to help you understand. You almost made a point this time.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

So let me get this straight. Do you actually think there is any chance in the world that the republicans will retain the house? Don't bother answering. I know you don't. So why bother with games now? 

I have no idea, I was simply pointing out a different site was and still does have the Republicans leading.