More than 1,000 secondary schools across Thailand to be alcohol-free zones

webfact

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Every controversial thread has a newbie who is completely unaware of how 'un-original' their 'go home if you don't like it' really is... 

I learned in my early days on the forum. 

Not the place for tea and sympathy. 

Chose your words wisely young Skywalker.

Troll posts and the replies have been removed. 

A post in violation of fair use policy has been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

You're all missing the point of this announcement, this is major news.

This announcement signals that they're going to start enforcing the 300 meter alcohol free zone around the list of schools. The zone which Paiboon said he would rather be 500 meters but they appeared to settle on 300 meters anyway.

It was announced three years ago but has never been rigorously enforced in any way.

Those days appear to be numbered.

The end is nigh ????

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, kwilco said:

Time and again the Thai reaction to any of these sort of problems seems to be repression , restriction and prohibition, isn't it abut time they started to treat citizens with respect and educate them on how to deal with these sorts of things?

Why not both? 

This is a long overdue policy and in line with most civilised countries,

the only reaction to these news should be :clap2:

I have a Thai friend who's son plays sport for the school.

Often they go away to play with other schools for competitions, either in the same province or further away, always after the team has either been eliminated or near to the end of the competition the teacher will organise a party where they actually buy & supply beer for the kids to drink !!

Forgive me for stating an obvious solution. The legal drinking age in Thailand is 20 years. It is clearly indicated on each bottle of alcohol.

Thai ID cards with date of birth, etc. are issued to Thai nationals of over 7 years old. Thus, any student whose ID card does not confirm age eligibility, or who cannot produce an ID card, the sale of alcohol must be refused by the shopkeeper. He/she may then report the attempted purchase to the Head of School if considered appropriate. There should be very harsh penalties for shopkeepers who do not check ID cards in this way.

"Alcohol-free zones" and the expense of setting them up at 1,000+ schools, are  ostensibly a waste of money, time and resources. Difficult therefore to understand either the wisdom, or the logic.

Edited by jko
  • Like 2

Yet another surreal headline from Thailand. I'll give the govt. the benefit of the doubt that the article doesn't convey their actual meaning and  intentions on the issue of student drinking. If I had to guess it would be that the government is not really being forthcoming about what they really mean because it would  make them less popular than they already are, that is that they want to do what they said they'd do 3 years ago and ban alcohol sales period in any area near a school. Totally non-sensical to say you've made a no drinking zone law for schools. What they are omitting is that that zone extends 300 yards beyond  the school or whatever it is. So if you live in that area I guess that means you, or could mean that if someone wanted to collect a fine from you.

Anything but actually having a plan and enforcing better education standards which must be among the worst in Asia. That would be too difficult, easier to raise a stink about alcohol to appear as though they care. They also need to pay teachers enough and in return ask that they do their jobs or be fired. Like a lot of work in Thailand the agreement seems to be, OK, we won't hardly pay you to do your job, so actually its OK, just do your job once in while for when important people show up and aside from that do what you want, if someone asks that you do your job tell them you are not their slave.

The kids in my in-laws families seem to be languishing in school. The teachers won't teach them. The system here is made that way, so of course people feel and the kids feel hopeless and some will drink and do yaba at school in response to that. In the US the schools weren't half as bad as they are here but definitely could have been better, but even so a lot of people got high at school, maybe that's why its called high school.

• Thanks 1

Should be ALL SCHOOLS and rigidly enforced. And I mean ALL, (public and 'private/religious'). Just for starters. :thumbsup:

A big call by Government but I have my doubts. History gives us a guide as to how the Kingdom handles social problems. 

11 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Should be ALL SCHOOLS and rigidly enforced. And I mean ALL, (public and 'private/religious'). Just for starters. :thumbsup:

A big call by Government but I have my doubts. History gives us a guide as to how the Kingdom handles social problems. 

You appear to have very little idea of what this is actually about in reality.

They want to close down all bars / licensed restaurants anywhere near these schools.

It's an idea which became law back in 2015, but nothing happened as they made a big mistake. Now it's back.

The reason nothing happened last time around is that they realised that entire cities (downtown Bangkok, all of Phuket and Pattaya for example) would no longer have any bars or licensed restaurants (hotels, banquet halls, the lot), it was very badly thought out.

Now they've come back with a list of 1000 schools.

Where is this list and where are the schools on the list located and how large will the exclusion zone be ?

Previously it was ALL schools and 300 meters of the surrounding area would be the exclusion zone.

If this guy wanted to get real how about banning the sale of alcohol by every 7/11.

(I hate seeing people walking down the road drinking a big beer out of the bottle)

Stop all selling & drinking alcohol in public places (yes the road & footpath are public places )

& ban the manufacture of that bloody Lao Khao which is killing the local population by the thousands with liver failure & car accidents.

But no..... we won't do that because the people in big business will get upset.

More lip service to justify his position