if you use the Chrome browser you might find this interesting...

bendejo

21 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:

The reason for this is that Chrome uses a seperate process for every tab and extension that it has open or being used. This is so that if a tab or extensions crashes then only that process will crash so you will not need to restart the browser, unlike Firefox who only use a single process.

As said in the earlier post, only one tab open. That was for the ThaiVisa page. Only extension running is for Roboform and that uses minimal resources.

Edited by chrisinth

1 minute ago, 2008bangkok said:

Without the meaning to sound petty you said 1 window, that could have many tabs. Also the extensions are loaded regardless of whether you are using them or not. Unless of course you literally have 1 extension installed in Chrome.

But more to the point why do you think so many processes are being used?

BTW This is why i use Firefox on my PC and phone. Might be more RAM being used but at least they are not doing anything untowards.

Yep, agree; I was just editing my last post after looking at Extensions in Settings. In addition to RoboForm I also have Adblock Plus, Browsec & Google docs offline, all of which are disabled at the time the snaps were taken.

My thoughts on why so many processes are running is that they are being linked to the cookies. I'm suggesting this as I am also running Malwarebytes Pro (paid for) and this will signal any attempt to open links, or connect to dodgy sites. I could be wrong on this as I don't fully understand the runnings of Chrome

20 hours ago, 2008bangkok said:

BTW This is why i use Firefox on my PC and phone. Might be more RAM being used but at least they are not doing anything untowards.

A few releases ago I noticed that when Chrome starts up it would peg CPU usage at 100% for a few seconds.  I don't use it enough to look into why.

3 hours ago, billsmart said:

I didn't open the link because I don't care about online privacy. If you are someone who does, why do you?

It is about personal freedom.

Tim Cook, Apple Chief Executive, had this to say in a recent speech in Europe. Referring to the misuse of "deeply personal" data, he said it was being "weaponised against us with military efficiency".

"We shouldn't sugar-coat the consequences," he added. "This is surveillance."

You appear to not care about surveillance. I do and I agree with Benjamin Franklin…

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ― Benjamin Franklin

• Like 1

On 11/9/2018 at 11:07 AM, chrisinth said:

Yep, and if Chrome users are in any doubt of what Chrome is doing in the background, look in your Task Manager under Apps. (Right-click on taskbar and select Task Manager. Click on More Details on bottom left). These are snaps of my usage, with one window open on ThaiVisa. First snap shows Chrome (20) and second shows this expanded. Running with 8GB RAM.

chrome-02.jpg.4e34e35d8f95927529f0b8ac6c6b61e7.jpg

You could ask TV about this.

I love it when the tin foil hat brigade starts a thread, I always get the pop corn out.

If you think it's abnormal, open the same page in Firefox and then look at your task manager, it will show similar results in fact it may be a bit worse in memory usage.

Edited by janclaes47

19 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

Tim Cook, Apple Chief Executive, had this to say in a recent speech in Europe. Referring to the misuse of "deeply personal" data, he said it was being "weaponised against us with military efficiency".

"We shouldn't sugar-coat the consequences," he added. "This is surveillance."

Yes Apple is definitely the company to trust about privacy threats.

https://www.cultofmac.com/132782/if-you-thought-carrier-iq-scandal-was-bad-wait-till-you-see-latest-wikileaks/

Wikileaks: The Government Is Spying On You Through Your iPhone

https://bgr.com/2017/06/06/apple-spying-on-iphone-users/

Apple might be helping governments spy on users in real time

23 hours ago, 2008bangkok said:

The thing is that Google/Chrome 'owns' Firefox (more or less). However, FF is still the only browser that you can modify to your liking.

6 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

The thing is that Google/Chrome 'owns' Firefox (more or less). However, FF is still the only browser that you can modify to your liking.

In early stages Google was involved in the development of Firefox, but retracted from that some years ago, and Yahoo stepped in their place

6 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

I'm surprised no one mentioned TorBrowser on a thread about privacy and DuckDuck go as a search engine. 

Tor mentioned both in the article and in the post above yours :thumbsup:

Another browser mentioned is Brave - definitely not as refined as the major browsers but supposedly offering much greater privacy. I use DuckDuckGo and Startpage browsers.

10 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

I'm surprised no one mentioned TorBrowser on a thread about privacy and DuckDuck go as a search engine. 

Every time you connect to the Tor Browser "they" know. Their computers are bigger than yours.

8 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:
34 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:
In early stages Google was involved in the development of Firefox, but retracted from that some years ago, and Yahoo stepped in their place

Absolutely not right. Got any links to back that up?

You have any links to backup your denial?

1 minute ago, 2008bangkok said:
3 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:
You have any links to backup your denial?

I guess you just made your statement up then!!

Really, here you go

Financing

Wiki letter w.svg
This article is missing information about the detailed financial development. Please expand the article to include this information. Further details may exist on the talk page. (November 2015)

The Mozilla Foundation is funded by donations and "search royalties".

Initial funding in 2003 came from AOL, which donated US$2 million, and from Mitch Kapor who donated US$300,000.[12] The group has tax-exempt status under section 501(c)(3) of the U.S. tax code, though the Mozilla Corporation subsidiary is taxable.

In 2006, the Mozilla Foundation received US$66.8 million in revenues, of which US$61.5 million is attributed to "search royalties" from Google.[13]

From 2004 to 2014, the foundation had a deal with Google to make Google Search the default in the Firefox browser search bar and hence send it search referrals; a Firefox themed Google search site was also made the default home page of Firefox. The original contract expired in November 2006. However, Google renewed the contract until November 2008 and again through 2011.[14] On December 20, 2011, Mozilla announced that the contract was once again renewed for at least three years to November 2014, at three times the amount previously paid, or nearly US$300 million annually.[15][16] Approximately 90% of Mozilla’s royalties revenue for 2014 was derived from this contract.[17]

In November 2014, Mozilla signed a five-year partnership (effective December 2014) with Yahoo!, making Yahoo! Search the default search engine for Firefox in North America. The default search engine in Russia will be Yandex, and in China, Baidu.[9] Due to Mozilla's financial release timetables, the results of the Yahoo! contract will not be public until November 2016.

In November 2017, however, Mozilla announced[18] that it was switching back to Google as the default search engine. This represented an early termination of its Yahoo partnership.[19]

• Like 1

Really, here you go

Financing

44px-Wiki_letter_w.svg.png&key=bf1ef399b77b72e74304263a5f24b2bc71c0de7b48a63bee0920d534e724b347 This article is missing information about the detailed financial development. Please expand the article to include this information. Further details may exist on the talk page. (November 2015)
The Mozilla Foundation is funded by donations and "search royalties".
Initial funding in 2003 came from AOL, which donated US$2 million, and from Mitch Kapor who donated US$300,000.[12] The group has tax-exempt status under section 501©(3) of the U.S. tax code, though the Mozilla Corporation subsidiary is taxable.
In 2006, the Mozilla Foundation received US$66.8 million in revenues, of which US$61.5 million is attributed to "search royalties" from Google.[13]
From 2004 to 2014, the foundation had a deal with Google to make Google Search the default in the Firefox browser search bar and hence send it search referrals; a Firefox themed Google search site was also made the default home page of Firefox. The original contract expired in November 2006. However, Google renewed the contract until November 2008 and again through 2011.[14] On December 20, 2011, Mozilla announced that the contract was once again renewed for at least three years to November 2014, at three times the amount previously paid, or nearly US$300 million annually.[15][16] Approximately 90% of Mozilla’s royalties revenue for 2014 was derived from this contract.[17]
In November 2014, Mozilla signed a five-year partnership (effective December 2014) with Yahoo!, making Yahoo! Search the default search engine for Firefox in North America. The default search engine in Russia will be Yandex, and in China, Baidu.[9] Due to Mozilla's financial release timetables, the results of the Yahoo! contract will not be public until November 2016.
In November 2017, however, Mozilla announced[18] that it was switching back to Google as the default search engine. This represented an early termination of its Yahoo partnership.[19]
LOL - Is that meant to be a joke? I rest my case.

This snippet you provide has got nothing to do with the development of Firefox of which Google nor Yahoo have never been involved with.
This relates to which company would be the default searh engine used in the address bar and search bar which was originally Google them was switched to Yahoo and now it's back to Google.
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:

LOL - Is that meant to be a joke? I rest my case.

This snippet you provide has got nothing to do with the development of Firefox of which Google nor Yahoo have never been involved with.
This relates to which company would be the default searh engine used in the address bar and search bar which was originally Google them was switched to Yahoo and now it's back to Google.

Now go away.

This article shows clearly how Google and Firefox worked together to create the chrome browser

https://www.niallkennedy.com/blog/2008/09/google-chrome.html

https://arstechnica.com/uncategorized/2005/01/4549-2/

Edited by janclaes47

Now go away.

This article shows clearly how Google and Firefox worked together to create the chrome browser

https://www.niallkennedy.com/blog/2008/09/google-chrome.html

https://arstechnica.com/uncategorized/2005/01/4549-2/
Your changing your statement now.

In early stages Google was involved in the development of Firefox, but retracted from that some years ago, and Yahoo stepped in their place.

Then....

Make ya mind up pal......
Now you go away I have a Saturday to enjoy
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

You could ask TV about this.

I love it when the tin foil hat brigade starts a thread, I always get the pop corn out.

If you think it's abnormal, open the same page in Firefox and then look at your task manager, it will show similar results in fact it may be a bit worse in memory usage.

The problem is that it isn't just ThaiVisa. IMO, any platform that uses Google Ads, does not allow adblockers and the user/member uses a browser developed by the same company controlling the ads, you are going to get interaction. Obviously it isn't just Chrome, but.............

Just as an experiment, to try to justify my theory as to why so many processes open when using Chrome, I enabled my adblocker and took another snap of task manager with the blocker working. This is what I saw. Try it yourself if you think it is staged.....................:smile:

1178477014_adblockonvisa.jpg.e3af3959e921572c8a6909252ca0379e.jpg

1593881264_tmwithadblock.jpg.ada508fd1763f64b0c53e264c6c0e1d1.jpg

Just to clarify, this isn't a dig at ThaiVisa, I only used this as an example because the site was open. This is widespread on sites/platforms running with Google Ads and other ad-generating software companies. It is just the way the internet has developed for people to make more money, and other people giving false statistics on figures produced by this sort of involuntary type of connection that the average user isn't even aware is happening.