Bangkok to Ban Chang motorway a "boon for tourism" - set to open in 2020

rooster59

38 minutes ago, bowerboy said:

The last time Ban Chang and surrounding area saw so much activity and investment was right before the Tom Yung Gung financial crisis.....

Town Houses popping up everywhere (and I do mean everhwere), new housing estates faster than you can count, medoicre houses on Eastern Star for essentially the same price as prime Melbourne Rental prices...new car dealerships popping up everywhere...

Motorways and road infrastutructure being built, large hotels being built....Thai Baht very strong.

This is either going to be a economical miracle and the perfect execution of a developmental masterpiece....or all that motorway will be unfinished, the buildings will all be empty and the wheels will come off the train.

i do genuinely believe we are at a crossroads now where things could go either way...given Thai history and what my observations of the Thai are I personally think all of this will end with empty buildings and unfinished motorways.

i mean really...what new industry or new plans are there to fund all this in Ban Chang...where will all the people be coming from and what exactly will they be doing when they get here?

A lot of the property that is being bought is with Bangkok money and, I may be wrong, but not being bought for somewhere to live just as an investment for the future?? Or hoping to rent to the hordes of Japanese, Korean and Chinese who will all be working in Maptaphut?

Over the past two years prices have doubled in some areas.

I have no idea where it will end.

Beach front houses near the Lord Nelson hotel asking 20 to 30,000,000 million with no paperwork in existence. Expats buying them on a lawyers promise 'the papers will be ready next year'

A mecca for tourists it is not. A couple of nice hotels near the beach, but, where do you go from there? No taxis, no real means of getting anywhere. A minimum number of tuk-tuks that are twice the price of BKK tuk tuks.

End of rant.

1 hour ago, bowerboy said:

i mean really...what new industry or new plans are there to fund all this in Ban Chang...where will all the people be coming from and what exactly will they be doing when they get here?

They're betting on the EEC, Eastern Economic Corridor, also known as "Hey let's sell the country to China". If the next counter coup happens before they manage to do that it'll be the empty shop house scenario.

On 11/12/2018 at 9:27 PM, steve187 said:

if you are going to be pedantic, there is then another left'

i wasn't be pedantic i was being accurate.

Followed your directions, ended up on Eastern Star Golf Course, oh well............:)

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

I think the empty buildings means shophouses and small housing estates being built everywhere.

My implication was that the oil business does not run by itself and the area will need many new laborers to supply the growth in the area that's why they are building the new roads and the high speed trains new malls and giant apartments and hotels.  Check out the new Holiday inn in Rayong.  Last time I looked Holiday inns did not make too many mistakes in locating giant properties. 

Holiday.jpg

ray.jpg

Edited by marcusarelus

8 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

My implication was that the oil business does not run by itself and the area will need many new laborers to supply the growth in the area that's why they are building the new roads and the high speed trains new malls and giant apartments and hotels.  Check out the new Holiday inn in Rayong.  Last time I looked Holiday inns did not make too many mistakes in locating giant properties. 

Holiday.jpg

I don't think too many labourers will be staying there though.

I still don't thing BanChang has much to offer tourists though.

The beaches are 6 kilometres from the town and without your own transport it's not that easy to get from one to the other. There is nothing in BanChang town for tourists.

11 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I don't think too many labourers will be staying there though.

I still don't thing BanChang has much to offer tourists though.

The beaches are 6 kilometres from the town and without your own transport it's not that easy to get from one to the other. There is nothing in BanChang town for tourists.

The Koreans come for the golf courses and shopping and to see relatives employed in the area.  I assume the same will be true for the Chinese and Japanese.

Regarding Big C.

Maybe 8 years ago now a 51% Thai and 49% Korean group were going to build a driving range opposite Tesco Lotus on the land now used as an open air market. Just before they signed the lease they were informed that the owner had already leased the land to Carrefour for thirty years. Big C bought over Carrefour.

29 minutes ago, steve187 said:

what a sh*t colour blue

one of the hotels up the road has 300 people some nights, so the tourists are coming from somewhere

This one has around 300 rooms and was also packed out at the weekend....so yes....build it and they will come!!

The staff speak perfect English at this place by the way.

4 hours ago, LennyW said:

This one has around 300 rooms and was also packed out at the weekend....so yes....build it and they will come!!

The staff speak perfect English at this place by the way.

i think it was the official opening

• Like 1

5 hours ago, overherebc said:

Very popular for BKK companies holding seminars but where do 'tourists' who are there go and to do what??

They go to the beach.  They go play golf.  They go to yoga classes.  They get Thai massage.  They eat good Thai food at reasonable prices.  They go to Silver Lake vineyards.  They go to the Chinese museum with all the funny statues and take pictures.  Drink designer beers.  Take tour Sattahip Navy (Asian only).  Eat Japanese and Korean food.  Cheap hotels.  Visit temples.  See Buddha mountain thing. Easy to find tuk tuk (walk down the street)

livea.jpg

A post commenting on moderation has been removed:

Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately via the report function. We do have the ability to remove objectionable messages and will make every effort to do so if we determine that removal is necessary. Please use the report button only for posts in blatant violation of the forum rules. Misuse of the report button is not allowed. Removal is a manual process so please realize we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. Responding to objectionable messages is discouraged.

Some off topic posts and the off topic replies have been removed. 

Edited by metisdead

• 5 months later...
On 11/10/2018 at 4:16 PM, NanLaew said:

But by 2020, all the 'daytime is playtime' bars in BC will have long been shuttered.

Talk about a road to nowhere.

It will become a major roadway for all the trucks going to "industrial zone" planned by the govt.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2018 at 6:32 PM, steve187 said:

a flyover linking the bypass road, is no where near finished, as is the sukhumvit road underpass, nor are any of the access roads. apart from that its all ready to rock

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.7157414,101.0215935,2056m/data=!3m1!1e3

That link is way out of date the one lane of the flyover is 90% complete and the other about 80% All the link roads with Sukumvit are completed inc underpass I would say 12 months is very realistic target.