The week that was in Thailand news: Going up in smoke in Thailand - that's the only certainty!

rooster59

22 hours ago, donnacha said:

I wish the forum would hire an editor to at least trim down these indulgent posts a bit. Aping the style of newspaper opinion pieces is all very well, but the saving grace of print is that there is limited space and, usually, an editor somewhere in the process who is aware that every sentence has to earn the reader's attention.

Even good writers benefit from being reigned in a bit. Whatever the wisdom of having an official column deride forum members (the people contributing content for free every day) in such superior, self-satisfied manner, this sort of opinion piece should never stray beyond the thousand word mark. 2,230 words of meandering commentary is lazy, disrespectful to the reader, and a poor reflection upon the ThaiVisa brand.

Awwww! you poor bugger, did your eyes get tired reading all of the big words? Never mind, have a bex and a good lie down, you'll feel better in the morning!

22 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Why would 'Rooster' ignore the naysayers? (note:Not gainsayers)

Please do not try and correct my usage of the English language. 
I used the word gainsay correctly.  Please see this extract from the Oxford English Dictionary (OED)

gainsay  
verb (past and past participle gainsaid) formal deny or contradict; speak against. 

DERIVATIVES
    gainsayer noun 

ORIGIN
    Middle English: from obsolete gain- 'against' + say.

22 hours ago, donnacha said:

I wish the forum would hire an editor to at least trim down these indulgent posts a bit. Aping the style of newspaper opinion pieces is all very well, but the saving grace of print is that there is limited space and, usually, an editor somewhere in the process who is aware that every sentence has to earn the reader's attention.

Even good writers benefit from being reigned in a bit. Whatever the wisdom of having an official column deride forum members (the people contributing content for free every day) in such superior, self-satisfied manner, this sort of opinion piece should never stray beyond the thousand word mark. 2,230 words of meandering commentary is lazy, disrespectful to the reader, and a poor reflection upon the ThaiVisa brand.

Ah give him a break, he just came back from England. Gotta purge that somehow.

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

And another one..

Apparently posting a contrary opinion in Thailand is a dangerous thing to do.

Something to do with with the binary vision one develops at the bottom of a Leo,Chang and Singha bottle,I would expect..

Some of Rooster's posts I like..and others I don't like.The one from a few weeks back made the average 20-30 year expat resident in Thailand look like Wittgenstein-and that is really saying something..

So it is ok for you to take a contrary opinion but when your comment is countered that is then considered to be "dangerous" is it.  If you wish correspondence to be easily read why are you throwing "obscure" philosophers names around without some explanation as to the relevance to your already obscure comment.

I suggest if you and your sidekick want such a discussion you should start a new thread and bore each other to death. 

Why are you making references regarding drink brands?   Again if you wish to make a point I suggest you make it directly and not hidden behind snide comments and unrelated/unexplained pompous references.

9 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Please do not try and correct my usage of the English language. 
I used the word gainsay correctly.  Please see this extract from the Oxford English Dictionary (OED)

gainsay  
verb (past and past participle gainsaid) formal deny or contradict; speak against. 

DERIVATIVES
    gainsayer noun 

ORIGIN
    Middle English: from obsolete gain- 'against' + say.

That kept you occupied for 10 minutes or so did it not?

You have a problem with people "speaking against" this position?

Getting hot under the collar?

The poster was merely indicating that the OP is full of verbiage-which,indeed it is.

Therefore he is a naysayer to the general climate of hero worship.

I reserve the right to say yea or nay as I choose.

Ps.Ludwig Wittgenstein is an obscure philosopher?why I bought a condo in Phuket from him last week...off the plan.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, YetAnother said:

too many thais do not see it that way; they see us expats as very much unwanted aliens

I’ve been here a while- your comment is just the usual banal , boring, tedious unimaginative nonsense.

I have only ever received respect , generosity, friendliness from some of the wealthiest and some of the poorest people in Thailand. If Thais perceive you have a ‘good heart ‘ show some respect - they are good people .

3 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

So it is ok for you to take a contrary opinion but when your comment is countered that is then considered to be "dangerous" is it.  If you wish correspondence to be easily read why are you throwing "obscure" philosophers names around without some explanation as to the relevance to your already obscure comment.

I suggest if you and your sidekick want such a discussion you should start a new thread and bore each other to death. 

Why are you making references regarding drink brands?   Again if you wish to make a point I suggest you make it directly and not hidden behind snide comments and unrelated/unexplained pompous references.

You are jes' swimming in the shoal.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Why..?

Do you not believe in making an apology when you have made a mistake?

You posted;

"Life must be very exciting for you". and "Perhaps you need a cuppa tea and a good lie down."

How do these two comments have any relevance to your original post, or anything else you have posted on this thread in the last few hours?

Edited by scottiejohn

Well 'donnacha' apparently we are "sidekicks" and are in cahoots about this thing-which comes a a great surprise to me as I am very sure that we would not recognize each other in the street.????

My position is quite simple..lifting a quote from an obscure British author (falsely attributed to Voltaire)

"I may not agree with everything you post on ThaiVisa but I will defend to my last internet plan your right to say it!"

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I’d give up smoking but 100% of all non smokers have died or will die within the next 100 year, and frankly I’m not willing to take that chance. 

I also find it annoying that fat people have an opinion about smokers, obesity is just as harmful to your health as smoking. Fat people should be taxed for every lb they are over weight in order to pay for their health care. I mean I’m incredibly tolerant by all means eat your way into an early grave but do it away from me and mine.

On 11/10/2018 at 6:19 AM, donnacha said:

We all are entitled to our opinion and you are entitled to yours. IMO every time someone posts on TFV the critics come out in droves to bash, criticize, “educate,” dismiss and berate. Some race to post their negativity first in line.

IMO if people would resist the urge to promote their self worth by attacking others ——we could all enjoy TFV. IMO the daily attacks allowed on posters, Thailand, Thai people and Thai customs is the problem with the ThaiVisa brand. A small group of knowledgeable, truthful, helpful posters IMO makes ThaiVisa worth reading and enjoyable. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, finnishmen said:

world Not have any evidence second hand smoking have dancerous, have only idiot peoples speak, and smoke not have any come sick, i know peoples many many, who has smoke 14 yea to 90 year and no has newer any day sick, many old men have, same me i smoke ower 40 year and no newer has sick and no newer come cigarette to sick. this is only peoples who talk shit speaking cigarette have proplem and dancerous. big shit have.

Pls dont post when affected....

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/tobacco-and-cancer/secondhand-smoke.html

On 11/11/2018 at 6:51 AM, finnishmen said:

world Not have any evidence second hand smoking have dancerous, have only idiot peoples speak, and smoke not have any come sick, i know peoples many many, who has smoke 14 yea to 90 year and no has newer any day sick, many old men have, same me i smoke ower 40 year and no newer has sick and no newer come cigarette to sick. this is only peoples who talk shit speaking cigarette have proplem and dancerous. big shit have.

You are flying in the face of every bit of evidence, it has been proven beyond any doubt that smoking is the leading cause of lung cancer, maybe you are a lucky person and have got away with it SO FAR, I watched my father die from laryngeal cancer directly caused by smoking, we can all find some one who has been doing something stupid for many years and has managed to survive despite the odds but that does not make you imune or invincible, the only one talking big shit is yourself, I used to work for a Finnish company and my manager Harrald Harkensson died from cancer of the mouth after many years of chewing that foul tobbacco thing Snus that a lot of the Finns in the company liked to suck on but at leat there was no smoke to inhale. keep on smoking and bury your head in the sand, it will get you in the end

On 11/11/2018 at 1:10 PM, Chartist said:

I’d give up smoking but 100% of all non smokers have died or will die within the next 100 year, and frankly I’m not willing to take that chance. 

I also find it annoying that fat people have an opinion about smokers, obesity is just as harmful to your health as smoking. Fat people should be taxed for every lb they are over weight in order to pay for their health care. I mean I’m incredibly tolerant by all means eat your way into an early grave but do it away from me and mine.

I might be fat but at least I dont blow foetid smoke in the general direction of everyone in the vicinity, the reasons for people being overweight are many and various some have hormone imbalance some are on corto-steriods and others are genetically pre disposed to weight gain, also in Thailand we do pay for our health care (if you hadn't noticed) so why impose a tax, you are probably talking about taxation in the UK, but I do find it a little hypocritical of you to say "I'm incredibly tolerant" and then spout such arrogant claptrap,

PS the reason I have a weight problem is due to age and infirmity due to injury I can no longer exercise or even walk as much as I used to and it has caused weight gain, not that that is a real excuse but then for people who are lucky enough to be genetically skinny, such as my wife it is easy to be critical, which my isnt

3 hours ago, JenksB said:

I might be fat but at least I dont blow foetid smoke in the general direction of everyone in the vicinity, the reasons for people being overweight are many and various some have hormone imbalance some are on corto-steriods and others are genetically pre disposed to weight gain, also in Thailand we do pay for our health care (if you hadn't noticed) so why impose a tax, you are probably talking about taxation in the UK, but I do find it a little hypocritical of you to say "I'm incredibly tolerant" and then spout such arrogant claptrap,

PS the reason I have a weight problem is due to age and infirmity due to injury I can no longer exercise or even walk as much as I used to and it has caused weight gain, not that that is a real excuse but then for people who are lucky enough to be genetically skinny, such as my wife it is easy to be critical, which my isnt

I was referring to the original post the author admits to being a fat guy but has the hypocrisy to state smokers should be taxed even more to pay for their health care. 

Its a a total fallacy that smokers cost the health services more, non smokers still get stick and still die. 

On 11/11/2018 at 10:55 PM, chickenslegs said:

You might follow your own advice about corrections. In your link to wiktionary the phrase "reign in" is, correctly, described as a misspelling

Quite right CL. Can't wait for him to say "loose". The tension is unbearable. ????