Teacher probed after Buri Ram boy allegedly beaten

webfact

4 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

While I agree the injuries should be dealt with and the teacher fired from teaching, I would like to know what REALLY caused the teacher to punish him.  Teachers in Thailand rarely care if you can recite a timetable as a matter of fact I think most of them would have trouble.  I am willing to be there is more to it than the boy has admitted

It does not matter what the circumstances, if the bruising in his photo was from the "discipline", then it was criminal assault on the part of the teacher. If the boy did something more serious, then he should have been referred to a higher authority. I am fairly certain that beating students with what was described, which is essentially a club, is not within the prescribed duties of any teacher in Thailand. 

Edited by Bill Miller
SPELLING ERROR>

11 minutes ago, connda said:

The real issue (and the one that doesn't get press coverage) is the culture of corporeal punishment that is ingrained within the Ministry of Education. 
When I hear the words "we need an investigation" from a government ministry, what I actually hear is "we need time to cover this up and make it go away." 
What is actually needed is an public discourse regarding the the mode, manners, and reasons for the use of physical discipline within Thai schools along with a publicly published policy statement that defines exactly what happens to teachers and school administrators who stray beyond the bound of accepted policy and rational behavior. 

Just so. Existing statutes supposedly prohibit corporal punishment, but offer no penalties for infractions.
The "nod, nod, wink, wink" attitude will never change until it becomes clear that violations will result in meaningful. prescribed consequences, and training of ALL educational personnel in the regulations and penalties involved.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, the boy may not be very bright and unable to do the multiplication tables and no amount of jumping jacks and thrashing would change that. The teacher needs to be fired and have his teaching license revoked in the least, and should also face assault charges. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cracker1 said:

Not another "Committee" !

The Mother should go to the Police and file an assault charge against the teacher.

I'm sure there were may witnesses to this assault.

If that was my son with injuries like in the photo, and even if his teacher was a lady teacher, I would surprise her in class with a duct taped bamboo stick, and give her or him a beating, so hard,  that the injuries look at least as bad as the injuries look on my son. 

I wonder if an incident like that will make a lot of teachers think twice,  before laying hand on our children 

7 hours ago, Bill Miller said:

Just so. Existing statutes supposedly prohibit corporal punishment, but offer no penalties for infractions.
The "nod, nod, wink, wink" attitude will never change until it becomes clear that violations will result in meaningful. prescribed consequences, and training of ALL educational personnel in the regulations and penalties involved.

Oh so these brutal teachers are punished to the full extent of the law which specifies no punishment.  Then, as there is no punishment in the law banning these assaults then it means that perhaps it should just be treated as a simple assault.  But of course the police will never assist.  The mention of Childline Thailand by another poster sounds very interesting.  Have they had any significant successful prosecutions against some of these child beating teachers?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Deerhunter said:

Oh so these brutal teachers are punished to the full extent of the law which specifies no punishment.  Then, as there is no punishment in the law banning these assaults then it means that perhaps it should just be treated as a simple assault.  But of course the police will never assist.  The mention of Childline Thailand by another poster sounds very interesting.  Have they had any significant successful prosecutions against some of these child beating teachers?

They will assist where necessary apart from reporting to the authorities. I don't know how successful they have been regarding school violence.

They actually cover a myriad of subjects, from health, education, poverty, abuse, statelessness etc etc.  Its well worth a browse of their site which is quite extensive.  The have a youth club in BKK called the HUB and they visit schools giving students the info needed to 'survive'.

They are also in partnership with other Childline organisations in 160 countries.

Their phone line is free and available 24/7.  

Chairman of Childline Thailand Foundation, Momrajwongse Supinda Chakraband is one of twelve members on the National Child Protection Committee of Thailand – the highest governing body on child protection issues.

Their website is:

http://www.childlinethailand.org/en/

Edited by HHTel
  • Like 2

What is this place becoming?

There is a sado masochistic attitude to so many things. 

A sadistic way of treating children at school. 

Is it any wonder that some grow up thinking that they are bulletproof. 

They have had a massive psychological chip placed on their shoulders from an early age. 

So sad.

Edited by dallen52

On 11/12/2018 at 8:50 AM, Cadbury said:

The serious question is why there was there corporal punishment at all for failing to recite multiplication tables correctly?

Surely it doesn't take 7 days for a committee to mull that question. The school director is pathetic for not taking that responsibility, that's their job. it shouldn't take a person of average intelligence more than 10 minutes to come up with an answer. 

He is still considering his grading and next career move.

Not to mention the loss of envelopes at term end for issuing pass mark's and high grades.