Replacing car tyres

4MyEgo

My tyres have done about 95,000 kilometres in just under 3 years and are at the point that they need replacing, although still have a little more thread to go, but I would like to replace them now rather than later.

The problem I get when I talk to tyre places is that the price for the same tyre fluctuates, the tyres I have and wish to replace with the same as I am happy with them are Bridgestone 265/65R17 which are on the Ford Ranger.

Now the prices I have been getting range from 4,400 baht to 5,200 baht per tyre fitted in Udon Thani, now the last bloke who I saw told me 4,800 baht per tyre fitted, and I said the bloke up the road will do them for 4,500 baht and he said, yes but they wouldn't be Bridgestone made in Thailand, they would be Bridgestone made in Indonesia and he could do them for 4,400 baht per tyre fitted, but they are not as good quality as the ones made in Thailand which he sells for 4,800 baht per tyre fitted.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind trying to bargain a little, but when it comes to tyres, I don't want to be buying an inferior product and would like any advice on the Thailand or Indonesian made tyres and any reputable places in Udon Thani or around that area if know, and how I could tell where the tyres are made when purchasing them.

As always, thanks in advance for your replies.

Edited by 4MyEgo

Think you did well regarding the Km you got out of your tyres. That size tyre is made by many manufacturers but the prices can vary by a big margin.

For instance, B-Quik do their own brand (Thunderer) for 3,490 bht, I bought those and they were fine but never get near 100k out of them..

http://www.b-quik.com/en/product/tyre/search?w=265&r=%2F65&d=R17

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

I got 96,000 out of the originals on my Vigo. Replaced them with Maxxiss in Pattaya @ just under Bht 2000 each. Now done 65,000 on them with plenty of tread left, at least another 20k I would hope.

What size were those at that price..?

16 minutes ago, transam said:

What size were those at that price..?

Whatever goes on a Vigo. Maxxis 700 Bravo A/T. A place just up Country Club road.

Just looked....P265/S5R17.  112S.

I got them in December 2015, but the manufacturer's date on them was 2014. Here at Toyota, they will NOT rotate the tyres for me as they say they are 'out of date'. Cockpit rotate, balance and wheel alignment for Bht 800.

Edited by wgdanson

37 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

For a pickup - unless you drive crazy fast for that type of vehicle - most any tire will be OK

When the going gets 200 kmh is when you need high quality tires and change them at or before 50% wear

The most I will go is 120-130kmh which is rare, usually around the 80-90-100kmh and am happy with the current Bridgestones, so I prefer to stick with them if its possible, tested and tried.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

The most I will go is 120-130kmh which is rare, usually around the 80-90-100kmh and am happy with the current Bridgestones, so I prefer to stick with them if its possible, tested and tried.

The tyre has made in Thailand so just check date, I tend stick with Bridgestones too.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GARYZX6R said:

Check the Bridgestone tyre shop next to AEK hospital, they get good reports from the expat community.

Thx 4 that, I just used Google maps and located it, managed to get the contact number off the shop front and will get the Mrs to break their balls, so to speak when she gets back.

If it sounds good, will report back with price for others thinking to buy tyres in Udon Thani.

Yesterday looking up tyres on facebook marketplace, seems many used tyres were at price tagged 3800-4500 / all four, some even high rating like 95W quite a steal

Problem those are either new old stock or removed from car seen little mileage, many from yr 2013-2016. Even with little tread wear, are those still safe for daily? (assume sellers honest)

The big problem with tyres in hot countries is the degradation of the rubber due to sun exposure. 

The most worrying place is the side walls , if there are small cracks , this could lead to a blow out in days or weeks.

Obviously the newer tyre the better for safety's sake.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Coremouse said:

Even with little tread wear, are those still safe for daily? (assume sellers honest)

For low speeds around town they should be fine.

Sustained hiway driving - would you trust old tires - good tread or not - with the lives of you and your loved ones ?

• Like 1

So far my shopping around has led me to the Indonesian Bridgestone tyre price coming down to 4200 baht from 4500 baht, with the latest reason being when comparing it to the Thai made Bridgestone 4800 baht, the Indonesian Bridgestone is made differently whereby in Indonesia they do not load up their utes with heavy loads, like we do in Thailand, so the tyre is not allowed to be sold in Europe, whereas the Thai Bridgestone is, because it can handle heavy loads.

We have a saying back in Oz which is probably used around the world, i.e. "pull the other one."

Looks like I will stick with the Thai Bridgestone version as the price hasn't dropped at 3 tyre places that I have enquired, whereas the Indonesian made Bridgestone has dropped 300 baht per tyre, which tells me it's less of a tyre.

Edited by 4MyEgo

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

So far my shopping around has led me to the Indonesian Bridgestone tyre price coming down to 4200 baht from 4500 baht, with the latest reason being when comparing it to the Thai made Bridgestone 4800 baht, the Indonesian Bridgestone is made differently whereby in Indonesia they do not load up their utes with heavy loads, like we do in Thailand, so the tyre is not allowed to be sold in Europe, whereas the Thai Bridgestone is, because it can handle heavy loads.

We have a saying back in Oz which is probably used around the world, i.e. "pull the other one."

Looks like I will stick with the Thai Bridgestone version as the price hasn't dropped at 3 tyre places that I have enquired, whereas the Indonesian made Bridgestone has dropped 300 baht per tyre, which tells me it's less of a tyre.

Just look on the sidewall for an encircled letter "E", this shows the tyre has passed European tests..

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Coremouse said:

Yesterday looking up tyres on facebook marketplace, seems many used tyres were at price tagged 3800-4500 / all four, some even high rating like 95W quite a steal

Problem those are either new old stock or removed from car seen little mileage, many from yr 2013-2016. Even with little tread wear, are those still safe for daily? (assume sellers honest)

I would have see them and check em.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I would have see them and check em.

I ended up bought those 'cause I'm cheap, new old tyres still better than old worn out tyres were on my car, nontheless... 

5k for complete change 'new' 2015 225/zr17 94y. running 110-120 on highway today so far so good... feeling guilty????

Edited by Coremouse
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, NE1 said:

You will be if they give up on you and you have an accident.

The price of safety .

What year are they ? 

year tag 4615 ???? better than my old tyres 3115 though. still with original sticker never pressurized(assuming dealer didn't con me)

nexen.jpg.3fcbbca1b2246d15cdce77b192156bf1.jpg

• Like 1

After reading other forums as well as taking TVF members bits and pieces into account, I ended up going with UD-MAX Group on the corner of the big intersection on the same road as HomePro on the opposite side.

The place a few doors up from Macro tried to offer us Bridestones made in Indonesia, an inferior brand as the Bridgestones made in Thailand which can be exported to Europe as they comply to their standards, i.e. they take loads, whereas the Indonesian Bridgestone tyres don't and as Transam pointed out, look for the E on the tyre, this place just past Macro also has a bad reputation so I am told by the other forum with all sorts of problems from farangs a few months later and an aggressive farang owner who also owns the same store in Nong Kai, only hear say, no personal experience so don't shoot the 3rd party messenger, make your own enquiries.

There also was one other just past AEK hospital which a lot of farangs suggested, and I was going to go to that one, but when I was told they would charge my debit card 5% it was lost business for them, because 5% for using my own money meant an extra 960 baht on the price.

A week earlier UD-MAX Group said they wouldn't charge me on my debit card, so when I went there after the one past AEK said they would charge 5%, the same guy who I saw a week earlier said yes have 5% charge, but didn't charge me the 5% on my ING Bank debit card (my cash), as I had to stand my ground and explain to him/them, it's a Visa debit card, confused as usual, scratching heads as they do, they went away with my card and came back and confirmed 19,200 baht no charge to debit card.

Happy chappy drove off with 4 new Bridgestone tyres after almost 3 years of use on the previous ones that I managed to get 96,000m kilometres out of and could of kept going but to what point, safety first and going a few more thousand klicks wouldn't be worth the hassle IMO.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

Well I have a little bitter with Bridgestone, the tyres I just replaced was MY02 sporty-style model, they wear out REALLY fast, then behave appalling in rain(net reviews say wet grip terrible/nonexist/borderline dangerous)... Finally one day the tyre confuses ABS and gave me a solid hit. (thankfully with 3+ insurance & do all repairs myself didn't hurt pocket)

i could understand if it's a small brand making cheap tyres for crawling to grocery, but suspect such reputable brand made such dangerous middle-range tyres...

13 hours ago, Coremouse said:

Well I have a little bitter with Bridgestone, the tyres I just replaced was MY02 sporty-style model, they wear out REALLY fast, then behave appalling in rain(net reviews say wet grip terrible/nonexist/borderline dangerous)... Finally one day the tyre confuses ABS and gave me a solid hit. (thankfully with 3+ insurance & do all repairs myself didn't hurt pocket)

i could understand if it's a small brand making cheap tyres for crawling to grocery, but suspect such reputable brand made such dangerous middle-range tyres...

Perhaps you were running the mandatory Thai tyre pressures, around 50psi...????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Coremouse said:

They have good reviews which contradicts all of what you say. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, transam said:

Perhaps you were running the mandatory Thai tyre pressures, around 50psi...????

35psi all four, checked every week religiously since I bought it, check everyday after developed slow leak just recent. (both B-Quick / Cockpit wont patch it, they just 'plug' and tire still leaking. mid tread not sidewall) Bought the car when tyres only 1yr old, only put minimal mileage onto her(spend more garaged than running????), now when changed all four are 100% gone

Seems not just me having proiblem with MY02???? they look really great though, very aggressive styling

https://www.productreview.com.au/p/bridgestone-my02-sporty-style.html

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Bridgestone/Sporty-Style-MY02.htm