Where have all the Chinese gone? Thai media say TAT in denial about tourism numbers in Pattaya

webfact

3 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

The issue is more the weakness of the Chinese Yaun than it is the strength of THB.

And overall shape of Chinese economy, trade war with USA doesn't help, which may be just  beginning, no one knows what the orange buffoon will come up next, at 5am. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, adammike said:

The first ten do affect everybody who comes to pattaya,add on pollution.

The list is nothing more than a juvenile view of all of Pattaya's fault, some real, many imagined and/or not relevant to the average tourist, many not even seen by them.

Anecdotal tourist data fro Chiang Mai:

My well known restaurant connection tells me business is down 10% across the board, not just his particular restaurants but all that he's surveyed;

My wife works in a tourist related business that is usually Chinese heavy.....she informs that Chinese visitors are substantially down but EUropean visitors are up by a corresponding amount!

The BiL's tourist van business is booming, he's just added a second van and driver, demand remains high;

Traffic into and out of the Mae Sa Valley is starting to build, it's approaching strawberry picking season and people are visiting already;

Lunch at a normally quiet 4 star in the MV two days ago, couldn't get a table for holidaying Bangkokians;

Three new sets of Chinese neighbours now renting in our soi, the mix of nationalities across 100 or so properties is easily 50% Chinese now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Outside of endless prostitution, which is a blessing for Pattaya. Maybe you should visit Pattaya and see what constructive criticism is regarding the rest of the list. At any rate it would be constructive for the rest of this topic to be based on real first hand numbers and real first hand examples of the reasons for this decline. And by the way simoh1490 you will not be forgotten as the defender of the overvalued baht and overvalued Thai people/country.

Once again, this is not about creating a defence it's about providing balance to the argument and adding a dose of reality.

As for the Baht comment.....the value of THB speaks for itself...but hey, this is the Pattaya Forum and the topic is the lack of Chinese tourists in Pattaya! :tongue:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Why is everyone in Thailand so intently focused on the cost of the visa as the deciding factor for tourists whether they come or not? It is so odd. It is so wide of the mark. Like a mantra repeated without thought.

Same mentality as speed  cameras  will stop all road problems

If you look at how much Chinese money has been pumped into Cambodian infrastructure including roads, resorts and holiday locations, it’s pretty obvious where they’re intending to go. Plus the fact it’s much cheaper for the average family with better customer service.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sabian said:

If you look at how much Chinese money has been pumped into Cambodian infrastructure including roads, resorts and holiday locations, it’s pretty obvious where they’re intending to go. Plus the fact it’s much cheaper for the average family with better customer service.

I doubt that Cambodia will be a prime destination, Japan seems to be the prime beneficiary:

"Tourist visas for Chinese visitors accounted for nearly 60 per cent of all the visas issued in 2017, according to the foreign ministry". https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/east-asia/article/2168495/chinese-tourists-will-be-first-line-japans-electronic-visas

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Anecdotal tourist data fro Chiang Mai:

My well known restaurant connection tells me business is down 10% across the board, not just his particular restaurants but all that he's surveyed;

My wife works in a tourist related business that is usually Chinese heavy.....she informs that Chinese visitors are substantially down but EUropean visitors are up by a corresponding amount!

The BiL's tourist van business is booming, he's just added a second van and driver, demand remains high;

Traffic into and out of the Mae Sa Valley is starting to build, it's approaching strawberry picking season and people are visiting already;

Lunch at a normally quiet 4 star in the MV two days ago, couldn't get a table for holidaying Bangkokians;

Three new sets of Chinese neighbours now renting in our soi, the mix of nationalities across 100 or so properties is easily 50% Chinese now.

Agreed, but to a certain extent it shows more Chinese are moving here, so not really tourists. Even the long unoccupied resort behind us near Hang Dong seems to have been bought up by the Chinese. I did stumble across it for sale once online  @ 80m Bt. God knows if they paid full price.

In town the number of Chinese look way down, still a lot around but nowhere near a couple of years back.

Last week a lot of Thais due to a graduation ceremony. Not sure which uni though.

• Like 1