Cult quality movies any one ?

Tweedle dee

This topic reminds me of my drinking days before I had to give up the booze.

Five or six of us "dipso's" would hang out at the local early house sorting out the world's problems until the conversation dried up ..then, to get the ball rolling again....somebody would ask aloud to all of us..."What was your favourite movie?...That one would keep us going for another couple of hours.

We would all leave the pub fairly chuffed with ourselves.    We solved the world's problems and learned what each others favourite movie was?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

The Rocky Horror Picture Show is perhaps the classic example of a cult movie.

Yes agree on that...…saw it live on stage in Auckland and enjoyed it.

It played as a stage show and a movie for many months/years and the public would dress up as members of the show and also shout out the lines (at appropriate times).

It was a sight to behold and be amongst I can tell you!

Pretty obviously a lot of people don't understand the term 'cult movie', just reeling off the names of big box office successes that everyone knows and many like. A few good answers, though. 

I'd say Sir Henry at Rawlinson End is my all time favourite cult movie. Viv Stanshall was a true genius (with the derangement that often comes with it). "If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/17/2018 at 5:11 AM, Nyezhov said:

Bring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia

A Touch of Evil

Eraserhead

Pink Flamingos

WOW...before i even looked at any comments, Pink Flamingos and Eraserhead were first 2 to my mind! All-time fave...Blade Runner (original w/narration), now a cult classic. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

This topic reminds me of my drinking days before I had to give up the booze.

Five or six of us "dipso's" would hang out at the local early house sorting out the world's problems until the conversation dried up ..then, to get the ball rolling again....somebody would ask aloud to all of us..."What was your favourite movie?...That one would keep us going for another couple of hours.

We would all leave the pub fairly chuffed with ourselves.    We solved the world's problems and learned what each others favourite movie was?

And then rinse and repeat every night for ten years. Drunken conversation never gets stale...!

Reminds me of the greeting card I once picked up. Written on one side were the words:

"How to keep an Irishman amused all day. Turn over"

Other side said:

"How to keep an Irishman amused all day. Turn over"

Those were the non-PC days????

Thief. Best music ever.

Hated the self-centred acting and directing in Deer Hunter. Been wanting to say that for a long time.

A few tours-de-force, but not enough - it could have been great.

Edited by NewGuy

On 11/18/2018 at 4:24 PM, whitemouse said:

Polanski - 'The Tenant'.

A chilling story about man in Paris, renting a new apartment, and slowly losing his mind to cripling paranoia. It will shake you up, of you watch it alone, and you are in the right mood:

'Spoorloos',  also known as 'The Vanishing'

Dutch movie from 1988, absolutely terrifying tale:

Siskel and Ebert reviwing 'The Vanishing' 1988:

Polanski's early Repulsion and Knife in the water were excellent in the psycho genre as well...suitably disturbing...

I gotta say that the original The vanishing was better...Hollywood has never been too keen on remakes of successful european films unless there's an action component that would give good box office...most european stuff is too cerebral and folks just wanna be entertained...

'hey Virgil...what're them squiggles down at the bottom of the screen?' 'them's subtitles but ye gots t'be able to read to know what they mean...'

'Big Harv' Weinstein taps the ash offa the end of his Montecristo and sez: 'nah, can't do it...the investors expect a return on their investment and this one's too risky...hey, on yer way out send Scarlett in to give me a massage' and then reaches under his bathrobe to scratch his balls in anticipation...

the magic of Hollywood...

there's also The collector from 1965 a brit/US production that deserves a mention in this category...but it won a bunch of awards (best actor for Terrance Stamp at Cannes) so it ain't really a cult film...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

what a great subject, only just seen this post. the cult sci fi movie dark Star 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069945/

a tomato ends up killing the crew - awesome!

That's all very well but it wasn't a musical - you could hardly sing along.  Even 2001 had better music.

• Thanks 1