Cult quality movies any one ?

Tweedle dee

1 hour ago, StreetCowboy said:

I suppose it depends on whether you think the quality of a film is determined by the personal life of the director or not.  I am sure some people would say that we should not be watching films directed by homosexuals, or Catholics, or left-handers.

I reckon the place for dealing with criminals is in the courts.

Be afraid .. i'm a lefty !

4 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

I suppose it depends on whether you think the quality of a film is determined by the personal life of the director or not.  I am sure some people would say that we should not be watching films directed by homosexuals, or Catholics, or left-handers.

I reckon the place for dealing with criminals is in the courts.

and then there was Pier Paolo Passolini who was homosexual and presumably disturbed, notorious for the film Salo...but there was other stuff that he did that resulted in unforgettable cinematic images...but a murderer laid him low, no courts of law fer him as he defied and defiled bourgeois sensibilities and was considered to be a criminal with zealots howling for blood...

defiant and courageous to the end...a modern hero...

and then there was Louis Malle that has his teenage protagonist having sex with his mother in Murmur of the heart...but the mother was Lea Massari and I would've slept with her if she was my mother...

Roman Polanski is one of the greatest film directors of modern times...a bit of astray pussy here or there ain't gonna change that...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Fellini Satyricon

Never forgot that one as it was the first foreign art film I ever saw.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

anyone that has liked anything that Fellini has done has got to see Satyricon...grotesques in abundance along with other startling images...

tutsi is with his pals Henrik and Gary in Berkeley with some beers after a screening, early 70s 'what about that then?' 'exaggerated and grotesque...' 'lavish production design' and then Henrik who was gay and from Poland by way of Paris lights a gauloise and sez 'and loadsa queers in an unabashed milieu...' and a furious discussion then ensues 'it wasn't just the queers, they were part of a mise en scene where anything goes...' 'you mean like the with the dude that has his hand chopped off for the entertainment of others? get outta here!' etc...

our little film club where tutsi learned about cinema appreciation with learned associates...M. Henrik presiding...

Satyricon is essential viewing...M. Henrik is sadly no longer with us but me and Gary still discuss films on the email...'hey did you know that Susan Sarandon is the young girl with big tits in 'Joe' (1970)?'...'Joe' is also worth watching and confirms Peter Boyle's acting ability...check him out in his short role in Taxi Driver...I think that Paul Schrader had him in mind when he wrote the script...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tweedle dee said:

Got my wee nipp with a dash of sugar free pepsi and about to settle in and watch this flick, cheers TD

Good flick !  a few silly predictable scenes but despite the subtitles ,i had to turn up the volume Ha ! Gerard was a cameo person here with little effect, saying that ...great time out with my whisky shots & sugar free Pepsi. TD.

• Like 1

somebody previously mentioned Luc Besson's  Leon , the professional (1994) with Jean Reno, Gary Oldman and a pubescent Natalie Portman...well worth watching as the young Natalie shows off her acting chops to good effect...all long legs, short skirts and doc martens and when queried regarding Leon she explodes with 'he is my lover!' to the unfortunate Leon's chagrin as she's about 12 y.o...

about the same time the Mathilde 'look' from the film became popular with young girls and at a social function in Jakarta a 12 - 13 y.o. girl who was the young sister of an associate came up and purred what's yer name handsome? and I looked at my associate and he just shrugged and said she's just a kid and she'll get over it...some years later a 12 y.o. niece ran my ass ragged lookin' after her at the Rembrandt at the pool where she luxuriated enjoying the stares of the europeans 'pervert...the bastid should be in prison' 'b.b.but she's my niece...' and I got her fed and settled down and turned on the TV and then collapsed next to her with exhaustion and the next I knew the wife was back with the other kids and the niece 'haw, haw...I told youse that I could get him...' and the wife rolled her eyes and said I told to watch out with the women in my family but she knew that there was no funny business...just appearances thereof...

Gary Oldman comes across magnificently as a sleaze corrupt cop, I saw him in Prick up your ears many years ago (with the perennially underappreciated Alfred Molina) and thought that dude is goin' places...he can play anything...a violent, raging pot boiler but masterfully done...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

Gary Oldman comes across magnificently as a sleaze corrupt cop, I saw him in Prick up your ears many years ago (with the perennially underappreciated Alfred Molina) and thought that dude is goin' places...he can play anything...a violent, raging pot boiler but masterfully done...

Stone cold drunk. Remember him in the Fifth Element? With Brion James (he was a great one).

Flash Gordon! Dispatch War Rocket Ajax and bring me back his body.

No not the bore worms.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

somebody previously mentioned Luc Besson's  Leon , the professional (1994) with Jean Reno, Gary Oldman and a pubescent Natalie Portman...well worth watching as the young Natalie shows off her acting chops to good effect...all long legs, short skirts and doc martens and when queried regarding Leon she explodes with 'he is my lover!' to the unfortunate Leon's chagrin as she's about 12 y.o...

about the same time the Mathilde 'look' from the film became popular with young girls and at a social function in Jakarta a 12 - 13 y.o. girl who was the young sister of an associate came up and purred what's yer name handsome? and I looked at my associate and he just shrugged and said she's just a kid and she'll get over it...some years later a 12 y.o. niece ran my ass ragged lookin' after her at the Rembrandt at the pool where she luxuriated enjoying the stares of the europeans 'pervert...the bastid should be in prison' 'b.b.but she's my niece...' and I got her fed and settled down and turned on the TV and then collapsed next to her with exhaustion and the next I knew the wife was back with the other kids and the niece 'haw, haw...I told youse that I could get him...' and the wife rolled her eyes and said I told to watch out with the women in my family but she knew that there was no funny business...just appearances thereof...

A lot of these clips were censored on britt TV ..i watched it agian a few nights back and got the real deal..pure Cult .

Here are some of mine, from different genres:

Animation:
ParaNorman 
Princess Mononoke

The Iron Giant

Surf’s up

SciFi/ Horror/ Fantasy:
Sunshine 
Snow Piercer 
Moon
Children of men 
The 13th floor 
The Cell (not "Cell"!!! The Cell!)

30 Days of Night
 They live

Pandorum 
Event Horizon
V for Vendetta
Reign of fire

Action:
Shoot ‘em up 
The 13th Warrior 
Watchmen

Comedy:
Kingpin
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Dude- where’s my car 
Weekend at Bernies
Forgetting Sarah Marshall 
The Invention of lying
Get him to The Greek
Pineapple Express 
Mars attacks 
Big Fish 
Three Kings 

Drama
Shutter Island 
Romeo & Juliet (the Baz Lurman- movie with Di Caprio)
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty 
Sleepers
Murder in the 3rd   
In Bruges  
Gangs of New York
 In the Name of the father

Dead Man Walking   
The Fisher King- 
Nebraska 

Movies, Nicolas Cage made, before he went insane
Lord of War 
Raising Arizona  
8 mm

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DM07 said:

Here are some of mine, from different genres:

Animation:
ParaNorman 
Princess Mononoke

The Iron Giant

Surf’s up

SciFi/ Horror/ Fantasy:
Sunshine 
Snow Piercer 
Moon
Children of men 
The 13th floor 
The Cell (not "Cell"!!! The Cell!)

30 Days of Night
 They live

Pandorum 
Event Horizon
V for Vendetta
Reign of fire

Action:
Shoot ‘em up 
The 13th Warrior 
Watchmen

Comedy:
Kingpin
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Dude- where’s my car 
Weekend at Bernies
Forgetting Sarah Marshall 
The Invention of lying
Get him to The Greek
Pineapple Express 
Mars attacks 
Big Fish 
Three Kings 

Drama
Shutter Island 
Romeo & Juliet (the Baz Lurman- movie with Di Caprio)
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty 
Sleepers
Murder in the 3rd   
In Bruges  
Gangs of New York
 In the Name of the father

Dead Man Walking   
The Fisher King- 
Nebraska 

Movies, Nicolas Cage made, before he went insane
Lord of War 
Raising Arizona