Farming weights and measures

lannarebirth

I'm still wondering about the unit of measure...I'm sure there is a name for it but I could be wrong.

Chownah

Chownah

Here you go, but it's not much clearer:

http://www.eppo.go.th/ref/UNIT-T-M.html

I checked out the link and I don't think its there. Around here if you rent land for raising rice you usually pay a certain number of tung of rice per rai for the rent. I've always wanted to know how much that was but never remembered to ask since we neither rent nor lease land....but this thread got me to check it out....on the internet I found that its 20 litres....then I asked my Uncle how big was a tang (you say it about half way between "tang" and "tung") he said it was about 10 kilograms of rice....I asked him if maybe sometimes it was 12 kilograms and he said that if the rice was threshed by hand then it was 10 kilograms and if it was threshed with a mechanical thresher then it was a bit more. This sounds like it might be the unit used but it seems strange to me that the gov't would use a volumetric measure for the price of rice....but maybe they just define 12 kilograms as the accepted weight for 20 litres of rice...don't know. Do notice that since my Uncle rents land if he pays his allotment of tang at the 10 kilograms per tang rate then he's getting a better deal and saves 2 kilograms per tang if 12 is the real number!!!

Chownah

I'm still wondering about the unit of measure...I'm sure there is a name for it but I could be wrong.

Chownah

Chownah

I checked out the link and I don't think its there. Around here if you rent land for raising rice you usually pay a certain number of tung of rice per rai for the rent. I've always wanted to know how much that was but never remembered to ask since we neither rent nor lease land....but this thread got me to check it out....on the internet I found that its 20 litres....then I asked my Uncle how big was a tang (you say it about half way between "tang" and "tung") he said it was about 10 kilograms of rice....I asked him if maybe sometimes it was 12 kilograms and he said that if the rice was threshed by hand then it was 10 kilograms and if it was threshed with a mechanical thresher then it was a bit more. This sounds like it might be the unit used but it seems strange to me that the gov't would use a volumetric measure for the price of rice....but maybe they just define 12 kilograms as the accepted weight for 20 litres of rice...don't know. Do notice that since my Uncle rents land if he pays his allotment of tang at the 10 kilograms per tang rate then he's getting a better deal and saves 2 kilograms per tang if 12 is the real number!!!

Chownah

Tang = 15kg. Tung=bag. At these low weights, I've only ever heard of rice being sold by the tang (15kg).

I noticed the link indicates Nieu=3/4". I disagree: it equals 1 inch.

Chownah

Chownah

Chownah

Tang = 15kg. Tung=bag. At these low weights, I've only ever heard of rice being sold by the tang (15kg).

After much more research (asking villagers) 12kg = 1 Muen (not sure of the spelling but its pronounced Moo-en and its a measurement for rice used by Isan folk for centuries ,how it got to = 12kg noone knows ,so there you have it. if your selling rice crop in Isan its in Muen ,down south its Tang .

Chownah

Chownah

Chownah

I know the word "toong" for "bag" and its a different word. The word for bag ("toong") is spelled taw-toong, syla oo (the short one), nga-ngu. The word for the rice measure is "tang" or "tung" ("tung" rhymes with "mung" bean) is spelled the same only with a different vowel...thusly, taw-toong, my-hanecot, nga-ngu...."my-hanecot" being the vowel. The internet gave the clear definition of "tang" as being a 20 litre measure in two different places...tomorrow if I remember I'll go measure out 20 litres of rice and weigh it.....if I have time maybe I'll drive to the gov't rice buying place and see what they say but this is not high priority for me so don't hold your breath.

Chownah

The wife just told me that its not a northern dialect word but a Thai word so I looked it up in the dictionary which says that it is "a unit of measurement of about 20 litres".

Chownah

I always thought a tang was a unit of volume.

5-ish tang to one gasop (usually the large fabric bag's about 50kg, but can also be used as a generic term for bag), Then 15 gasop to one gwien (about a ton).

I think a lot of the traditional measuments were of volume rather than weight as the pickers got paid buy the volume they picked and still do on many occasions as it is unlikely there would be weighing facitlties in the field. The weights would vary with not only the crop but the mositure content of it as well.

Yea generaly it is mabye it's just become that over time but the traditional value could of been different.

The translitoral spellings are just approximations of what I think they should be.

I rather like the yote 16 km from the link I think I might start qouting distances in yotes as it will confuse the sh1t our of everyone....I'm about 11 yote's north of BKK :o

5-ish tang to one gasop (usually the large fabric bag's about 50kg, but can also be used as a generic term for bag), Then 15 gasop to one gwien (about a ton).

I think a lot of the traditional measuments were of volume rather than weight as the pickers got paid buy the volume they picked and still do on many occasions as it is unlikely there would be weighing facitlties in the field. The weights would vary with not only the crop but the mositure content of it as well.

Yea generaly it is mabye it's just become that over time but the traditional value could of been different.

The translitoral spellings are just approximations of what I think they should be.

I rather like the yote 16 km from the link I think I might start qouting distances in yotes as it will confuse the sh1t our of everyone....I'm about 11 yote's north of BKK :o

Its all probably akin to our old bushel and peck, I recall as a youngun hand flailing barley , we scooped the grain into peck baskets and four of these filled a bushel sack bag, we were paid by the bushel threshed. Geez ,am I that old?

I've been checking up on this today with my Thai wife and friends. Tang (ถัง) is Thai for bucket (pail). It is therefore a measure of volume. When applied to pre-shelled (if that is how we can describe it in English) rice, it represents 10kg. Applied to shelled-riced (after removal of the kernel), it represents 15kg. Applied to mung beans and maize, it represents 15kg. The weight obviously depends on the density / shape / size of the material occupying a 'standard' bucket, hence the variance. You are correct, Ramdom, that the moisture content also influences the weight of one tang: I remember selling mung beans of a high moisture content @ 17kg/tang (rather than applying a percentage discount).

Here, we regard 1 gasop as 6 tang, though a gasop (a large jute rice bag) is sold as 100kg when filled with milled rice.

15 gassop equals one kwien, which is around 1.5 metric ton.

Here, we regard 1 gasop as 6 tang, though a gasop (a large jute rice bag) is sold as 100kg when filled with milled rice.

15 gassop equals one kwien, which is around 1.5 metric ton.

Yea but I pay the pickers by the tang and sell by the gasop....you can usually get away with 5-ish :o anyway they are all really measurments of volume rahter than weight