Cars dangerously dark at night

Cheesekraft

Just got a used car and it's good, but the film? Is super dark. Hard to see at night. Went to a sticker shop and was quoted 2800 to remove the dark sticker/film and put new ones, another shop said 5,700 but this film will stop heat incoming. 

I know literally nothing on this topic besides needing to be safe to drive. What is the expected solution? 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, otherstuff1957 said:

^ I removed the film from the front and rear windows of my car when I bought it.  It was just dangerous to drive at night with the windscreen darkened like that!   I left the screens on the side windows and they seem to block a lot of the heat.

Dark side windows are just as bad for seeing anything approaching from the side at night, and I doubt they do little to keep out the heat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Second with remove, visibility is most important. I would atmost tint a top strip, kinda helps stock visor when driving east in the morning. (tint rear window good though, tempered glass would benefit from additional strength)

I think a sun shade or car cloth would do better on reject heat.

• Like 1

Wheeler Dealers wanted to remove some film from one of their cars they had bought for doing up and reselling.

They sprayed the film on the inside of the window with water, taped black plastic sheet over that and let it sit out in the hot California sun for a few hours. Then the film just peeled off without any effort.

Looked simple enough...………………...

Very interesting topic. After reading it I have decided to remove said film and not replace it.

I gave up driving at night here because of the amount of cars and motorbikes that drive with their "full" headlights on (including fog lights).

Just thinking, if it is that bad for me with the film on ..it's going to be much worse when I remove it...just have to continue as before I guess, a stronger reason for no night time driving.

The only time I have had dark film on windows was at Clark AB in 1987 after the killings of 3 Americans and would never have again.  You can not safely drive at night and even in daytime not nice.  Normal lite tint that is normally used here in Thailand is not nearly as bad and can live with that.

I did not remove myself but on my 1985 Subaru in Philippines the rear defroster wires were broken by those that did remove the film.  Not a big deal as was next using in Florida

My view is that all cars should not have these "blackened" windows ........ it is a dangerous practice even though it does to some degree absorb some of the heat & reduce the temperature inside of the car. All modern cars have air-conditioning, hence a few minutes of discomfort is not a high price to pay, which may save your life by not having these heavily darkened windscreens etc. I think this "fad" of darkened windows should be banned immediately & a law should be passed in government to make this modification illegal.

Tinted glass is another subject entirely as it has been factory installed .......... but this too impares your "night vision". On a poorly lit road without street lights at night, driving only with car headlights on, it is evident that any form of tinted glass impares the vision of the driver. The darker the glass, the greater the danger. In Thailand it is particulary dangerous & potentially fatal, due to the fact that many drivers here seem to believe switching on their lights is not necessary. Perhaps they can see where they are going, but we can not see them, but this is the "mindset" here!  

Bottom line ......... any aftermarket "add on" to a car that impares the vision of the driver should be banned immediately & the penalty for ignoring it punished with serious consequences. I've seen some ridiculously dark windows that can only have been added to the vehicle on the whim of the owner as he considers it as "trendy" to attract attention ............ safety goes completely out the window with the "HISO" crowd here! The antics at night here with drivers not considering the safety of other road users force me personally not to drive during the hours of darkness, even on foot you place yourself at high risk ...... fact.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Both my cars are fitted with 3M Crystalline. Now, this film is expensive (around 20,000 Baht per car) but worth every Baht.

I use CR70 on the windscreen and front side windows and CR40 on the back windows and moon-roof. The designation is reversed for this film, meaning CR70 is 70% transparent and CR40 is 40% transparent. 

This film has near full reflection of radiant heat, which has had an amazing effect on the use of aircon during daytime. We used to have the aircon set to 27 or 28 and it would blow strongly non stop at high outside temperatures before having the film fitted. After installation, the aircon remains at 25 constantly and after 15 minutes in very hot weather, the fan is blowing comfortably low. 

If you're going for that film, be alert as with both my cars, with 2 different suppliers, they tried to cheat me by installing cheaper film instead. You need to make sure of the authenticity of the packaging they bring for the film rolls and check the hologram in the film every half meter or so. The rolls aren't cheap for the supplier (I guess around 50-75k) so by fitting two different films they have to open two rolls.

Driving comfortably at night at high speed and seeing all the things the other cars/trucks/buses stuck in the right lane cannot. Have to get used to passing them on the left lane though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HHTel said:

There is a law in Thailand restricting the use of tints but looking around it's obvious that it's not or rarely enforced.

One could speculate that might be due to the number of police and VIP who drive such vehicles.  

I have the maximum legal (25% from memory) windscreen film and love it! I will never remove it, then again I rarely drive at night. On the occasions that I do drive at night I just stay behind another vehicle or if no other vehicles....drive slowly ????

Another aspect of the darkened windows: you can’t look in from the outside. Especially when out on a bicycle or motorbike I like to make eye contact with the driver at crossings etc., just to make sure - or try to, anyhow - that he/she sees me. When passing parked cars the fact that often you cannot even see whether somebody is inside is annoying and causes you to keep a firm distance from doors that may be suddenly thrown open.

• Like 1

I have never used any film in all the cars that I have owned in Thailand. It is not necessary at all to reduce the heat and it seriously impedes the night vision. I once read a thorough test in a leading German automotive magazine about these films. The conclusion was that the inside temperature was maximum zero point five degrees lower with the film. This is hardly noticeable and the air-conditioning more than makes up for that small temperature difference.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lung Mike said:

I have never used any film in all the cars that I have owned in Thailand. It is not necessary at all to reduce the heat and it seriously impedes the night vision. I once read a thorough test in a leading German automotive magazine about these films. The conclusion was that the inside temperature was maximum zero point five degrees lower with the film. This is hardly noticeable and the air-conditioning more than makes up for that small temperature difference.

That however is for legal tint (not the blackout used here) and not valid for sun directly on pax - film does help greatly in that regard; (why do you think people have umbrellas out in the sun), and is the reason most taxi have some kind of shield they can place in window when sun directly on them.  I agree nobody should be using dark tint; but Germany is not talking Thailand.

I don't know if you have really cheap tint, or if you need your eyes tested, but I have dark tint that I have no problems seeing out of at night time. 

There are however big problems if you have some windows tinted darker than other windows. For example if the front windows are not tinted, then more light will come inside and make it more difficult to see out of the windows that are tinted. (Amazingly, some states in America have laws preventing tinting on front windows, making it very difficult to see out the rear tints in some cases). 

The better quality tints have heat protection as well. You can ask any dealer to show you to confirm it with heat lamps. 

I couldn't imagine driving a car without tinted windows. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1