US consulate meeting Income Affidavit

DrPhibes

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

At this point in time, no office accepts income based applications with an embassy letter. 

Did you really mean to say that?  AFAIK most if not all accept income applications with embassy letter (with various additional requirements in a few cases).

Edit:  suspect you mean without an embassy letter?

Edited by lopburi3

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Did you really mean to say that?  AFAIK most if not all accept income applications with embassy letter (with various additional requirements in a few cases).

Edit:  suspect you mean without an embassy letter?

I corrected the mistake immediately. You're too fast. Cheers. 

From my understanding the verification on any Social security can not be verified

By the Thai Immigration

I think this where it goes off track

Any letter of verification that is issued from a Embassy or Consulate

Can not be verified 100%

I believe the Thai Immigration only want people with a lot of money here

Compared to other countries

I think they want all this sorted up before February next year

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lizard2010 said:

From my understanding the verification on any Social security can not be verified

By the Thai Immigration

Can not be verified 100%

Curious as to why you say February?

I do believe that come January there will be a number of people who weren't aware of the Embassy stopping issuing the letters so you may be correct & US Embassy needs to do something.

Edited by Mike Teavee

14 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Curious as to why you say February?

I do believe that come January there will be a number of people who weren't aware of the Embassy stopping issuing the letters so you may be correct & US Embassy needs to do something.

Australian and British Embassy's  have advised that letters not accepted/issued  from January

February is the Elections here

They seem to be putting all the ducks in a row

So that the new government looks squeaky clean

Who knows how they do their thinking

Could be the same for the rumor that the 1 million baht in the bank

Instead of the 800 000 baht in the bank

18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Why does the U.S. embassy need to do something? They announced the end of these letters way in advance and they aren't in charge of Thai immigration. An alternative does exist, the bank method, which of course not everyone can manage, but it does exist, and the U.S. embassy is not responsible for all Americans being able to swing visas and extensions. Sounds harsh but I think true. 

In fairness the US Embassy did at least warn its citizens, from what I can tell the British Embassy did the bare minimum so there are going to be a number of disappointed people next year.

I personally don't think people have been given enough notice (especially if they're having to get together the 800K at short notice) and so would be nice to think that the Embassies could work with TI to agree a longer transition period. 

FWIW my plan was to use the cash in the Bank method for the next 7 years until my pensions kick it & I can be sure of a > 65k per month regular income (remaining income is rent & dividends which I tend to reinvest), but it doesn't mean that I can't empathise with guys who can't do this & are facing some bleak choices.

By the Thai Immigration
Can not be verified 100%
Well bye bye Thailand I guess. My SS income is above 65 k and all my money is in USA. I can only show the the SSA benefit letter to immigration now. Not good enough..? Well.. Bye bye...

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

Please, could you keep this thread for information

on what has been said at this meeting

who must be about to end...  (5 minutes)

2nd that. I had a lot of things I had to do, include send the G friend off at airport or I would have been there.

Would love to hear what was said. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bournville said:
2 hours ago, Lizard2010 said:
By the Thai Immigration
Can not be verified 100%

Well bye bye Thailand I guess. My SS income is above 65 k and all my money is in USA. I can only show the the SSA benefit letter to immigration now. Not good enough..? Well.. Bye bye...

US Government agencies cannot just share anyone's information ... the reason being in part the Privacy Act of 1974.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privacy_Act_of_1974

3 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

In fairness the US Embassy did at least warn its citizens, from what I can tell the British Embassy did the bare minimum

Excuse me but the sequence was UK, USA, AUS, Denmark.  Denmark Gave NO warning.  The rest gave dates in Jan 2019 to stop issuing.  

How do those facts tie in with your false allegation above?

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Excuse me but the sequence was UK, USA, AUS, Denmark.  Denmark Gave NO warning.  The rest gave dates in Jan 2019 to stop issuing.  

As this is a thread about the US Embassy I was merely commenting about the US Embassy sending a proactive email to their citizens to advise them of the change & now seems to be hosting outreach meetings with them to (hopefully) provide more information, whereas the UK hasn't been as proactive with us (Yes I am British but following the other Embassy threads to try to glean as much information as I can).

Agree Denmark's behaviour was shocking...

But as mentioned above, let's try to focus on the US meeting today, I think all nationalities are interested to find out what was said.

Does anybody have any feedback from today's US Meeting???

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Only four countries ? That is shocking.

I've seen German, Canadian and French retirees too.

12 hours ago, jmd8800 said:

US Government agencies cannot just share anyone's information ... the reason being in part the Privacy Act of 1974.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privacy_Act_of_1974

Not true, They can with your consent, it is called "third party authorization

"

The Purpose of an Authorization

There are two major reasons for granting a third party authorization for the purpose of resolving your federal tax issues. The first reason for granting an authorization is for the purpose of allowing an individual to represent you in tax matters before the IRS. This authorization is a "Power of Attorney" and is submitted using Form 2848 (PDF).

The second reason is to allow any individual, corporation, firm, organization or partnership you designate, your appointee, to inspect and/or receive your confidential tax information in any office of the IRS for the type of tax and years or periods you list on 

"

Anyone can order a tax return transcript, present it to the embassy, the embassy inspect it and with your authorization, certify your income. If they don't accept your transcript , with your third party authorization they can gain access to your tax record and certify your income. 

Someone at the Chiang Mai meeting said in another thread that the Embassy representative said, that they would train the Thai immigration to read american pension statements. If they can train  Thai immigration to read american pension statements to verify income, why can't they train their stuff to read said pension statement   and issue an income verification ?    They can't verify income but Thai immigration with some training and the same documents will???

Give me a break!!!!

2 hours ago, steve187 said:

so we are 22 posts in and no posts about the subject of the thread

I don't understand... ??? :unsure:

Someone made a first report yesterday, in 8 or 9 points.

I have read it here last evening, but cannot find it anymore ?? :ohmy:

Just a simple question. Has Thai Immigration provided as of yesterday JUST WHAT they will accept as proof of income monthly? As of last week they were still mum on that subject. With the upcoming date in January it might be nice to have some clue but then I realize T.I.T and they still unsure themselves. Typical.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

28 minutes ago, lipflipper said:

Just a simple question. Has Thai Immigration provided as of yesterday JUST WHAT they will accept as proof of income monthly? As of last week they were still mum on that subject. With the upcoming date in January it might be nice to have some clue but then I realize T.I.T and they still unsure themselves. Typical...

The simple answer is Immigration has not changed anything; they still will accept an income affidavit but expect the embassies must verify such income.

The embassies have been very happy to issue the income affidavits as it required zero effort by them - the income was very profitable. Now they are asked to actually do something they rather drop the letter completely.

Question rather why the embassies didn't tell them to sod off...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lipflipper said:

Just a simple question. Has Thai Immigration provided as of yesterday JUST WHAT they will accept as proof of income monthly? As of last week they were still mum on that subject. With the upcoming date in January it might be nice to have some clue but then I realize T.I.T and they still unsure themselves. Typical.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Please remember there are more than 100 countries in the world, it is impossible for Thai immigration to accept bank statements from each country because there are more than 10 banks in each country etc.

Every bank statement has different format and in different languages. In some cases, it can be faked too.

The only possibility that I see is to bank into Thai bank accounts every month. How long you have to keep into that account is a question mark. You can't just bank in one day and withdraw the next day. 

The money must come from outside Thailand every month. There're lots of loopholes here too.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, EricTh said:

The only possibility that I see is to bank into Thai bank accounts every month.

Unless you wait until the balance is over 400k/800k before extending, you will still be asked for verification from your embassy. Nothing has changed, from the Thailand Immigration standpoint.

The only way - at this moment - is in future to deposit the 400k, or 800k and keep it in the bank for the requisite two, or three months. The letter from your bank replaces the income verification letter.