Your favorite area in Chiang Mai city for living

jackdd

23 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

I live in a very nice area but Ill be damned if I am sharing it with another miserable expat.

Since when did you become miserable.

You'r just trying to scare the OP away from your Idyllic area by pretending to be grumpy.

Edited by scottiejohn

26 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

I am of the school of thought where if you are thinking of retiring in the CM area for good then do NOT commit to any area now.

Come out and rent for weeks/a month at a time in different areas and time of year and then decide/commit. 

Your long term items can always be put in storage while you make up your mind. 

Don't worry, i'm not retired and i also don't plan to spend the rest of my life there, so the biggest commitment i will have is the deposit of a month or two.

24 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

+1

And don't buy anywhere for the first twelve months, as tempting as it might be.

Probably i will never buy property in Thailand

At everybody discussing the air quality:

I think we are all aware of the smog in Chiang Mai, for me personal it was ok when i was there in the past, we will see how i think about it after i spent more time there.

The discussion about this is off topic and it will also lead to nothing, for some people it's ok, for some people it's not, you will probably not change the other party's mind, if you want to discuss this further it would be nice if you could open a seperate topic for this discussion.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2018 at 12:46 PM, BritManToo said:

Well in my drinking/whoring/sexpat days I lived around MoonMuang soI 1/2, which was a good place to live within staggering distance of the bars, and the girls didn't complain about travelling too far.

You've got Top North Guesthouse for short-term stays, NuanPranee Guesthouse for monthly stays (6k/month)

Then I entered my Thaier than you stage, where I learned the language at Santhitam YMCA, stayed at Emporium Residence in Santhitham Road (5k/month) and drank with the Thai students and beer girls at Santhitham Plaza, OxidePub and T-bar (used to be called Time).

Finally, I moved to my Thai LTR stage where I rented houses with a Thai live-in gf, which were usually in houses about 10Km from the centre of town, around 6K/month for a semi-furnished 2bed house with a bit of garden and a few mango trees (Mae Rim, Doi Saket, Hang Dong). Doi Saket was a bit too far.

So it really depends in your stage of Thainess ..... prices haven't changed much.

It's a low level or low class life (I suppose). But if you don't know better from your home country (UK I suppose) then you feel happy here in the dirt. 

• Sad 1

I lived just off Loi Kroh and loved it there. No need to use a m'bike to get to the old city, though other than temples I have no idea what the attraction to that is.

Walking distance to the night market and supermarket.

Off the street, one isn't bothered by noise and no need to even see a bar if one isn't inclined that way.

11 hours ago, scorecard said:

A different point, the plans for the electric light rail public transport system have been approved and if I remember correctly the completion date is 2022.

Several lines starting from the city centre around Tar Paer gate, all the lines are underground for the first 2 to 4 kilometers than above ground, quite a big coverage.

Maybe worth having at look at the maps etc., all here on TV. Perhaps a factor to be considered in choosing a location to live.

Good luck. 

Underground! Well that's a relief. I had visions of them building a Skytrain or knocking half the old city down.

However, building underground is big money, and I wonder how they will fund it since they were trying to shut all the guesthouses down when I was there. No customers no money, no money no tax.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sfokevin said:

And what well appointed reasonably priced long term accommodations do you stay in?... :coffee1:

That's the problem with the Old City, which I also prefer.

Does anyone have suggestions for apartments/condos/houses in that area?

14 hours ago, jackdd said:

I think we are all aware of the smog in Chiang Mai, for me personal it was ok when i was there in the past, we will see how i think about it after i spent more time there.

The discussion about this is off topic and it will also lead to nothing, for some people it's ok, for some people it's not, you will probably not change the other party's mind, if you want to discuss this further it would be nice if you could open a seperate topic for this discussion.

You're that upset by a few posts?

It's hardly off topic, and will lead to greater understanding on the part of many.

Are there any more topic areas which people voluntarily trying to help you do not have the right to mention?

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, jackdd said:

32 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

You're that upset by a few posts?

It's hardly off topic, and will lead to greater understanding on the part of many.

Are there any more topic areas which people voluntarily trying to help you do not have the right to mention?

I like Chiang Mai very much. I love the surrounding countryside. At first appearances, for me it would be a great place to live. However, I am asthmatic (not severe but uncomfortably so), so that pretty much rules out Chiang Mai for me. People with any problems associated with their lungs, asthma, and other breathing related issues, would therefore be well advised to avoid Chiang Mai in the burning season. So JimmyJ, you are spot on. This aspect of Chiang Mai should be shared so that others, not only the OP, can make informed decisions as to where they stay.      

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I like Chiang Mai very much. I love the surrounding countryside. At first appearances, for me it would be a great place to live. However, I am asthmatic (not severe but uncomfortably so), so that pretty much rules out Chiang Mai for me. People with any problems associated with their lungs, asthma, and other breathing related issues, would therefore be well advised to avoid Chiang Mai in the burning season. So JimmyJ, you are spot on. This aspect of Chiang Mai should be shared so that others, not only the OP, can make informed decisions as to where they stay.      

I love CM, and am hoping that I can live there for most of the year and live elsewhere for 3 - 4 months.

Not sure how that will work out.

Perhaps starting off with a cheaper apartment so I don't have to move out and move back every year and will not be a major financial burden paying for 2 lodgings during the smoke season.

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Underground! Well that's a relief. I had visions of them building a Skytrain or knocking half the old city down.

However, building underground is big money, and I wonder how they will fund it since they were trying to shut all the guesthouses down when I was there. No customers no money, no money no tax.

Who wanted to live in those filthy guest houses?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, lipflipper said:

People make too much of a big deal regarding the smoke. Yes, at times it can be difficult for some but they already had health issues and this only exerbates their misery. IMO, if you are relatively healthy it isn't that much of a problem. Therefore if you are serious living here look outside the city, avoid driving a car and your options are numerous. I prefer the peace and quiet and newer homes/condos that are available. The further you get away from the city proper the lower your rent is going to be. I prefer the Northwest or the Northeast of the city as it only takes me twenty minutes to get to Tha Pae gate and the old city.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

People who keep posting idiot stuff like "if you are relatively healthy it isn't that much of a problem."  probably already have brain damage from inhaling the toxic air so listen to them at your own peril.  It wasn't that long ago when everyone thought smoking wasn't that bad and you were more of an outcast if you didn't light up. Here's an article worth reading and then watch as there will likely be some stupid replies to come in denouncing it.  https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/27/air-pollution-is-the-new-tobacco-warns-who-head

• Like 2

Floor drain gas can be remediated for about five bucks.  Gas isn't coming from the toilet, unless it is way low on water.  The guesthouses can be pretty dirty, though, especially in Chiang Mai.  The whole backpacker area is rife with traveller's sickness and very poor hand washing facilities.