Opening Bank Account in Pattaya on tourist visa - Which Bank?

bbi1

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

Do you pay a fee for ATM withdrawals at other branches of Bangkok bank? I thought there was a fee.  Could be wrong haven't checked my bank book in a while.

You only get hit with a fee if you make ATM withdrawals 'out of area' if you're within the same area as where your account is opened it's always free to use at the same Bank's ATM.

You can use other Bank's ATM for free up to 5 times(I  Think?) a month, after which the fee is charged even within the same area.

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Bangkok Bank only allow account holders bank books to be renewed at the account holding branch. Updating the bank book can be done at any branch, anywhere.

It used to be that  you have to go back to the original branch to get a new book once the page ran out, but not anymore, I had my new book made at a different branch that I had no account with just the other week.

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

Do you pay a fee for ATM withdrawals at other branches of Bangkok bank? I thought there was a fee.  Could be wrong haven't checked my bank book in a while.

Bangkok Bank no-fee withdrawals from Bangkok Bank ATM anywhere. They charge a fee when using their plastic in a rival bank's ATM.

The original plain plastic Bangkok Bank VISA debit card could be used in any ATM including rival banks (with surcharge). When they introduced their first chip & pin VISA debit cards, they could ONLY be used in Bangkok Bank ATM's. Not sure if that all changed since they ditched VISA and went with UnionPay and more recently MasterCard.

4 minutes ago, digbeth said:

It used to be that  you have to go back to the original branch to get a new book once the page ran out, but not anymore, I had my new book made at a different branch that I had no account with just the other week.

Good to know thanks.

17 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Bangkok Bank no-fee withdrawals from Bangkok Bank ATM anywhere. They charge a fee when using their plastic in a rival bank's ATM.

The original plain plastic Bangkok Bank VISA debit card could be used in any ATM including rival banks (with surcharge). When they introduced their first chip & pin VISA debit cards, they could ONLY be used in Bangkok Bank ATM's. Not sure if that all changed since they ditched VISA and went with UnionPay and more recently MasterCard.

Wrong

You'll get hit with a fee even if you use Bangkok Bank's own ATM when you are 'out of zone from your account' (different province) They had a promotion this year in April where it was free for out of zones withdrawal i think just for the Songkran Holidays. 

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Digital-Banking/Self-Services/Bualuang-ATM/ATM Fees

Chip and Pin cards can be used at all bank's ATM now,

for Bangkok bank it's free to use at other's bank AT 4 times (within same zone as your account) a month, after which they'll charge

On 11/19/2018 at 10:16 PM, Kim J said:

I would try and get the account transferred.

It used to be the case when opening a new account you had to get a certificate of residence from immigration. I am led to believe that is no longer possible on a tourist visa, maybe worth asking that question at immigration.

i tried transfer my Kbank account from Koh Samui up to Kbank Bkk Sukhumvit ? do i have work permit No ! married ! No ... divorced told me best keep using my Kbank account on Koh Samui, tried again in pattaya where i moved for a year Kbank head office branch Pattaya ! Answer No . local branch No , tried open new account at other banks No, still have my koh samui branch account u cant open account with a tourist visa.. 

Edited by Mad mick
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mad mick said:

i tried transfer my Kbank account from Koh Samui up to Kbank Bkk Sukhumvit ? do i have work permit No ! married ! No ... divorced told me best keep using my Kbank account on Koh Samui, tried again in pattaya where i moved for a year Kbank head office branch Pattaya ! Answer No . local branch No , tried open new account at other banks No, still have my koh samui branch account u cant open account with a tourist visa.. 

Seems that the BOT is discouraging "tourists" from opening bank accounts. Although many we checked "require" a work permit, Bangkok Bank will accept an embassy notarised affidavit of residence.

8 hours ago, digbeth said:

By doing that, does that mean your main branch becomes the new branch where you got your new book, therefore no fees at the new branch province for counter deposit/withdrawals and ATM withdrawals?

Edited by bbi1

My 2 cents: I was in Pattaya in April as a tourist on a visa exempt. So I decided to try my luck with opening a bank account. ????

I dressed up (a bit) and visited the local Bangkok Bank branch. I showed my passport and to my big surprise was not asked about anything else. The lady opening my account asked where I was staying and gave the name of my hotel. I was asked to deposit a minimum amount which was 1000 Baht. Internet and mobile banking were set up at the same time and work perfectly. I was given a booklet which bring back fond memories and a Union Pay card. The whole procedure lasted 30 minutes.????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Redacce said:

My 2 cents: I was in Pattaya in April as a tourist on a visa exempt. So I decided to try my luck with opening a bank account. ????

I dressed up (a bit) and visited the local Bangkok Bank branch. I showed my passport and to my big surprise was not asked about anything else. The lady opening my account asked where I was staying and gave the name of my hotel. I was asked to deposit a minimum amount which was 1000 Baht. Internet and mobile banking were set up at the same time and work perfectly. I was given a booklet which bring back fond memories and a Union Pay card. The whole procedure lasted 30 minutes.????

Which branch in Pattaya did you use? Also wonder why they didn't give you a Visa debit card. Never heard of Union Pay until I came here to Thailand.

I tried yesterday at Central Festival and they said no for a tourist visa. Seems Bangkok Bank is the strictest and requires some weird things. Kbank won't let me to transfer my BKK account to them and need a work permit. Krungsri allows an opening account, just needed my Kbank passbook and they wanted Kbank to print out 6 months of statements (Kbank charged 200 baht).

Wondering if anyone have experience with UOB or TMB on opening up an account on a tourist visa?

Edited by bbi1

On 11/20/2018 at 8:45 PM, digbeth said:

I have done that also, but then the ATM machines won't update the bank book and you have to take it inside to a teller to update.

10 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

A mate was able to open an account in Kasikorn at Royal Garden with a tourist visa.

Not anymore , that branch in RGP closed their doors and moved out some months ago. 

Edited by balo

17 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Which branch in Pattaya did you use? Also wonder why they didn't give you a Visa debit card. Never heard of Union Pay until I came here to Thailand.

I tried yesterday at Central Festival and they said no for a tourist visa. Seems Bangkok Bank is the strictest and requires some weird things. Kbank won't let me to transfer my BKK account to them and need a work permit. Krungsri allows an opening account, just needed my Kbank passbook and they wanted Kbank to print out 6 months of statements (Kbank charged 200 baht).

Wondering if anyone have experience with UOB or TMB on opening up an account on a tourist visa?

The branch is at soi Buakhao as you go north after soi Honey at your left hand. By that time I was not really interested at getting a visa card. For the time being I use it to transfer money from abroad.

Hope it helps.

I set up my Kasikorn Bank account in 2012 (branch on Beach Road now since demolished) while on a tourist visa - I needed a letter of residence from Jomtien Immigration - which was supplied to me no questions asked.  In 2013 they closed my account apparently due to lack of funds and inactivity.

When opening a new account Kasikorn Bank (branch on Pattaya Klang) insisted I needed another letter from Jomtien Immigration.  I tried to point out I'm already a customer on their system and they have all my details so this shouldn't be required.  This plea fell on deaf ears.  I went back to Jomtien Immigration and got the letter.  Again no issue but the guy did give me a wry smile and a shake of the head indicating he probably thought I didn't really 'live' at the address provided.

I've been using the account for years.  When I lost my ATM card a few years back they gave me a replacement card no questions asked at a cost.  All of this was done on a tourist visa - granted it was some years ago.

However.... this ATM card expires in February 2019...  I'll be back in December-January and planned to simply walk in and pay for a new ATM card.

But if there are new rules and clamping down on tourist visa account holders... I wonder if I will be able to get a replacement ATM card or whether they are going to make a big deal about it?..

I set up my Kasikorn Bank account in 2012 (branch on Beach Road now since demolished) while on a tourist visa - I needed a letter of residence from Jomtien Immigration - which was supplied to me no questions asked.  In 2013 they closed my account apparently due to lack of funds and inactivity.

When opening a new account Kasikorn Bank (branch on Pattaya Klang) insisted I needed another letter from Jomtien Immigration.  I tried to point out I'm already a customer on their system and they have all my details so this shouldn't be required.  This plea fell on deaf ears.  I went back to Jomtien Immigration and got the letter.  Again no issue but the guy did give me a wry smile and a shake of the head indicating he probably thought I didn't really 'live' at the address provided.

I've been using the account for years.  When I lost my ATM card a few years back they gave me a replacement card no questions asked at a cost.  All of this was done on a tourist visa - granted it was some years ago.

However.... this ATM card expires in February 2019...  I'll be back in December-January and planned to simply walk in and pay for a new ATM card.

But if there are new rules and clamping down on tourist visa account holders... I wonder if I will be able to get a replacement ATM card or whether they are going to make a big deal about it?..

Most of that is water under the bridge, what would be useful is hearing about accounts being set up in the last few weeks. As for getting an ATM card its easy, go into Klang banch, don't look too scared and they'll simply issue a new one there and then, may not even look at your visa

5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Have you tried to open an account there?  A lot of others have and posted results here.  So what is the purpose of posting web info that we all can get and anyone who has opened an account there knows is wrong?

I already have 3 there opened years ago. 

I was told at a recent meeting that a residence certificate was required.

I thought those were only available for vehicle purchases and licence renewals.

I have deleted the information that bothered you, now YOU are showing it unnecessarily! Why quote it when everybody can see it?

Edited by jacko45k

6 hours ago, Wang Chi said:

This year I had both my Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank ATM cards replaced. I also updated my accounts with my new passport. I was on a tourist visa at the time and it wasn't even looked at. Once the account is open and you go to that exact branch where you opened it years ago they will update the accounts by, issuing new passbooks, new ATM cards and lodging new passport details without a problem. My BKK branch is the one opposite soi 6 and my Kasikorn branch was the one in Central upstairs.

6 hours ago, sgoodes said:

I changed the details on mine from Ubon Ratchathani to Pattaya with Kasikorn with no issues at all. Did it at the Soi Bhuakao branch up from R-con bar.

How long ago did you change your Kbank branch to Pattaya?

All four pages of useless info. It's  beyond me why people post they have so many accounts but opened 20 years agy, or years ago, or on ED visa, non-O visa etc.  How is that going to help the OP? Do they want to show the world how many bank accounts they have? 

Bangkok bank is a surefire way because they publish in their website that you can open an account with Tourist Visa. If the teller does not want to open, you can talk to the manager. Preferably go to the main branch. Avoid those shopping center branches. But they won't give you internet banking. Only phone card and ATM card. Please read Bangkok bank requirements and go there with all you papers (may also require a visit to your embassy for address authentication). I did it in this year January. 

1 hour ago, johng said:

What's a phone card ????   do you mean banking via their app on a phone AKA online banking ?

Yes phone banking. No online banking on Tourist visa. They gave access to online banking after I came back again with an O-A visa.